Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:23:46 AM EDT
I've been having quite a delima recently and so I would like yalls opinions on something.  My signifacant other enjoys the thought of helping me defend the home in the event it becomes necessary.  We both have body armor and backup sidearms, however she is quite petite ( under 110 lbs) and has serious problems managing the recoil of ANY of my long guns.  Even the AR hurts her shoulder and she is afraid to shoot it.  I bought her a Glock 27,  (.40), which she loves, but she cant take an AR recoil or anything larger.  I'm going to get her a long gun for her birthday and need some suggestions.  Here is what I thought of so far.  Keep in mind, it cant be something "non-tactical" or something not lethal enough.  9mm is the lower limit.

1.  Colt AR in 9mm
2. Saiga conversion in .410 (w/ 10rnders of "000")
3.  Beretta CX4 storm

Any other suggestions for long guns for the lil lady?
Andrew
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, I  find it hard to believe that she cannot handle the recoil of the AR from a physical standpoint.  Is she just a bit scared of the rifle itself?  My 6 y/o son shoots his (yes, HIS) AR with no difficulties whatsoever.  I just put a pencil barrel upper onto an extra Bushmaster lower that I had here and he can now hold it properly without a rest.  (The HBAR was a bit too much for him, LOL.)

He is 48" tall, and 52 lbs.  His 8 y/o sister is 52" tall and 51 lbs and they both shoot the crap out of the AR.

Now, back to your original post, I wish I could help, but I only have third party info and there is no use spreading that around...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If she's scared of the AR, she's going to shit when someone is trying to kill her.  So arming her is probably a waste of time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Deleted
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Slow and easy pal.  Start her off with a .22lr like a Ruger 10/22.  Once she is used to that, go to the .22lr conversion kit for the AR.  After that she will most likely be fine.  Anyone can be taught to shoot, and recoil is not an issue with the AR.  Its all about getting the novice to overcome some preconceived notion (thanks to those assholes in Hollywood) that "it'll knock me on my butt".  

My wife is 5'0'', 98lbs, and was raised a Mass Democrat.  A real "only the cops and the military need guns" type.   I have since fixed that character flaw, and she loves her Glock 26.  And she has no trouble with my original SP1, cept its a bit longish for her arms.  She has not fired my Stag 4gery yet, due to some recent disc surgery, but I doubt she will have any problems.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#5]
KelTec Sub2K 9mm using Glock magazines.

If you're going to get a 9mm carbine might as well make it light, inexpensive, and with good availablity of hi-cap magazines.  The carbine even folds in half for storage.  The magazine in the pistol grip makes it the easiest to load in the dark and loads like any handgun..
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Put a recoil reducing buffer in an AR and I dont see how she can be hurt by it or not take it.  I have not met a woman who could not handle a 5.45 SAR3 either though small women find them heavy. For even less recoil and weight consider an M1 carbine loaded with a quality soft point and USGI 30 round mags.  It has almost no recoil and is effective to 100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If she's scared of the AR, she's going to shit when someone is trying to kill her.  So arming her is probably a waste of time.

+1
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
For the record, I can't see how anyone could love a .40 cal Glock and be afraid of a .223.  That being said:

M1 carbine. Loaded with 110 grn soft points the M1 is a fine weapon.

Keltech .40 carbine set up for Glock mags (has already been mentioned)

Percieved recoil is as much about stock fit as physical recoil, a poorly fitted stock can hurt.  I'd look into making certain the AR-15 stock is short enough for her to get a good shouldermount and cheek weld.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]
let her shoot the 12ga.  then shell think the .223 is an airsoft.  sorry.  if she likes a .40, she will like a .223 carbine.  familiarization is key.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
It might be the "bite" of the A2 butt-plate.

Get a true A1 stock for the gal and let her have at it.  The minus 5/8 of an inch and the rounded butt-plate should make all the difference.

Dave S
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Slow and easy pal.  Start her off with a .22lr like a Ruger 10/22.  Once she is used to that, go to the .22lr conversion kit for the AR.  After that she will most likely be fine.  Anyone can be taught to shoot, and recoil is not an issue with the AR.  Its all about getting the novice to overcome some preconceived notion (thanks to those assholes in Hollywood) that "it'll knock me on my butt".  

My wife is 5'0'', 98lbs, and was raised a Mass Democrat.  A real "only the cops and the military need guns" type.   I have since fixed that character flaw, and she loves her Glock 26.  And she has no trouble with my original SP1, cept its a bit longish for her arms.  She has not fired my Stag 4gery yet, due to some recent disc surgery, but I doubt she will have any problems.  

Orion67 -- WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN THIS COUNTRY!!!  Good job on the convert!  Gun control is a curable disease of the misguided.

On topic -- I agree with the familiarization and training.  I just can't see how AR recoil could hurt anyone.  My 5 year old Nephew doesn't complain a bit.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top