Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2006 11:33:24 PM EDT
I did a search for this and came up for nothing. Are these .22LR conversions any good? A local guy had one in the gun shop today w/ a few 30 round mags for it as well. Was peaking my interest...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe this is the wrong forum....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have done some research on many of these conversion kits and have come to one conclusion --

They need a lot of tweaking to get most of them to work reliably. NOT all, but many.

Then comes the dangers to your upper....clogging of your gas tube and barrel. There are procedures to follow that helps avoid these problems....like firing a .223 round every once and awhile to blow out the gas tube.

All in all -- I dropped the notion of getting a conversion kit.............. if I want to shoot .22's at the range..........I'll just drop the extra $150 and buy a dedicated .22 complete upper. Change over is no big deal with these guns........so why take the chance of mucking up my home defense rifle --just for plinking!

JF.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2.  One of them is in a dedicated .22LR upper.  I have 18,000 rounds through it.  I just had to replace the firing pin.  I had about a 500 round "break in" period, but after that it has run smoothly, no matter what kind of ammo I put in it.  

My other one is used in standard .223 barrels.  I have had no problems with it either.  I have not had any problems with the barrel leading or the gas tube plugging, but I don't shoot thousands of rounds of .22LR through it at one time either.  The consensus seems to be that if you use it in your .223 upper, every 500 to 1000 rounds shoot some .223 out of it to blow out any of the gunk that may end up in the gas tube.  YMMV.

I would recomend it.  Accuracy out of the dedicated upper is fantastic, and good out of the .223 uppers.  Pop cans at 50 yards don't stand a chance!

Thanks,

Brad
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top