Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 9:20:33 PM EDT
And I think I have a mag problem.  

First problem: A round fails to eject the mag into the chamber after pulling back the charging handle and letting go.  I pulled back the charging handle again, still fails to eject from the mag...  

Second problem:  After consistently pulling off round after round within 2 second intervals, same problem as above, the goddam round fails to come up out of the mag.

Does this sound like a mag problem to you??   I was using D&H aluminum teflon finsh 30rd magazines.  I have one 30 rounder that came with my RRA and I never had a problem with it...??  What can I do about this?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]
a lot of people will load a magazine and leave them that way either to store or impress their friends with a stack of preloaded 5.56.  The problem in most is the springs and poor followers....I would unload the mags....if the baseplate is removable...take it off and make sure there is no grit or crud in there...lightly oil spring and make sure follower is tracking right.

only problems I have ever had with mags (including factory Colt ones) were failure to lock bolt to rear when empty....failure to feed....and one or two I had problems where they would not lock into position in mag well no matter how much a slapped them.  Those were quickly shitcanned...

If you still have problems then would try a different brand mag...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy magpul followers, they eliminate 99% of mag problems if your springs are relatively new.

As for not stripping the first round that is why I load my mags to 28 rounds.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And I think I have a mag problem.  

First problem: A round fails to eject the mag into the chamber after pulling back the charging handle and letting go.  I pulled back the charging handle again, still fails to eject from the mag...  

Not meaning to be a hard ass but just so as to avoid confusion later when you post similar problems. The term you describe is "failure to feed" (FTF) - not "fails to eject the mag".

Second problem:  After consistently pulling off round after round within 2 second intervals, same problem as above, the goddam round fails to come up out of the mag.

Does this sound like a mag problem to you??   I was using D&H aluminum teflon finsh 30rd magazines.  I have one 30 rounder that came with my RRA and I never had a problem with it...??  What can I do about this?

Yes. When the bolt fails to strip a round from the mag when charging the handle, it is most likely a bad mag. The springs may be weak or the followers may be tilting.

As suggested by others, try getting aftermarket green followers (anti-tilt) or the Magpul followers (highly recommended). If the problem persists even with the new followers, then you will have to replace the springs.

Good luck .... it is recommended that you have more than one 30 round mag (that's if it's legal in PA ... sorry i'm not from the US so I do not know where its legal and not).
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
a lot of people will load a magazine and leave them that way either to store or impress their friends with a stack of preloaded 5.56.  The problem in most is the springs and poor followers....I would unload the mags....if the baseplate is removable...take it off and make sure there is no grit or crud in there...lightly oil spring and make sure follower is tracking right.

only problems I have ever had with mags (including factory Colt ones) were failure to lock bolt to rear when empty....failure to feed....and one or two I had problems where they would not lock into position in mag well no matter how much a slapped them.  Those were quickly shitcanned...

[yoda] A newbie in our midst, I see we have... [yoda]

The question as to the wisdom of keeping mags stored fully loaded for long periods at a  time has been the subject of debate here on several threads. Much like the Aimpoint vs. EOtech and Colt vs. Bushmaster et. al threads. The general consensus is, keeping magazines loaded for long periods will not harm your springs. It is the constant compression and decompression which will wear the springs out.

So they say .....

I personally keep ALL my mags loaded and ready to go.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Fully loaded mags dont wear springs, nuf said, thats been hit a few times here, as for only loading 28, I have always loaded full 30 and no problems. I own about 50 30 rnd mags and none of them give me problems with full loads, plus none of the many that I have used in the military either, having said that, some people do have this problem. I did have this happen once or twice but it was not the magazines, it turned out to be some dirt (very little) in the buffer tube, I cleaned it out, kept it dry, and voala, no problems. I think go with the most simple thing to fix first, try that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[yoda] A newbie in our midst, I see we have... [yoda]

The question as to the wisdom of keeping mags stored fully loaded for long periods at a  time has been the subject of debate here on several threads. Much like the Aimpoint vs. EOtech and Colt vs. Bushmaster et. al threads. The general consensus is, keeping magazines loaded for long periods will not harm your springs. It is the constant compression and decompression which will wear the springs out.

So they say .....

I personally keep ALL my mags loaded and ready to go.

Yep.

The only way to solve a mag problem is to have more mags...a lot more mags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#10]
No newbie unless you only mean to this forum....been shooting and deploying for over 21 years with military weapons and for over 35 years if you count my first Win Model 67A single shot rifle...I retired May 2004 but I digress.

since joining here I have read many items passed through military lore and training are debunked here...but all the same I will short load and rotate my magazines.  It may not make a difference but if by chance it does one day I dont want to have a FTF when I need it most.  Just like the three gas ring thing I was always trained to misalign...now I am told by guys here it is bullshit and does not cause problems.  Guess what, I will misalign mine another 20 years I am sure.
Kind of like the joke about the atheist that is on his death bed and asked to be baptized and forgiven of his sins before he passes.  Minister asks, "I thought you were an atheist and did not believe in God?"  Guy dying says, "I didn't but thought I would do it just in case I was wrong all those years as it sure wont hurt things!"
Thanks for the info....

but best to leave the newbie tag to someone that comes on here as a poser or a first time weapon owner rather than someone that had just never heard all the drills from military debunked in public before.  Great site....  

If anyone has an official test report that backs any of this up I would love to have it and share it with a couple weapons instructors I know at Quantico and Ft.Meade to see if they knew this and just continued the myth or not.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Buy magpul followers, they eliminate 99% of mag problems if your springs are relatively new.

As for not stripping the first round that is why I load my mags to 28 rounds.

YMMV

Oh no, please no! I hear a great roar in the distance...

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the old metal followers never a jam up yet  20rd mags!

Might try a different mag?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top