Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 7:13:38 PM EDT
What's a fair price for this particular rifle?  Can you guys help me out?

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
$1000 tops unless it is scratched up from leaning it against the concrete.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It has some minor scratches, but I think they buff out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I got $900 for mine on online auction about 2 months before the ban ended
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:

i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/txwxgirl/sp1.jpg

If its all original, you are probably looking at $900-1000, depending on what condition its in.  A picture like that gives a basic idea, but its honestly hard to make a call without closer up pics.  There are plenty of people who have gotten them cheaper, and it would no doubt sell quicker at $850, but if its an all around clean looking weapon, I think you would be calling it fair around $900.  There are always people who would pay more if it is extra nice.

Going rate in your area may be different, and book vlaue on SP-1s is never in tune with the actual market, which are just two more things to consider.

Well, I know what was given for this rifle.  BUt the owner needs cash now.  I've even shot it.  There are no serious scratches, a few minor ones.  It isn't super clean inside, as in it doesn't look brand new.  Would an offer of 850 to 900 be fair then?

Eta to add.  The owner knows I'm interested and told me $1700.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Id offer 700 pay 800 would be fair if thats what ya want  SP1s are cool
I kinda miss mine but i dumped all my pre ban colts  before the ban lifted
not sorry I did got decent money for my Colts
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/txwxgirl/sp1.jpg

Eta to add.  The owner knows I'm interested and told me $1700.  
[

I guess he will not be selling the rifle anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Good news for me, except that was my price.  The seller doesn't exactly want me to have the rifle.  I just wanted a good guess of the fair value to make a resonable offer.  I know what he "gave" for it.  Should I offer a little more than that, or market value?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good news for me, except that was my price.  The seller doesn't exactly want me to have the rifle.  I just wanted a good guess of the fair value to make a resonable offer.  I know what he "gave" for it.  Should I offer a little more than that, or market value?

What was your price?  I missed the part where you gave him a price....

I would not entertain thoughts of buying that weapon.  If it helps, I picked up my SP-1 for a little under $450 a few years ago, and that was during the AWB.  It takes a lot of looking, but there are good deals out there, this is not one of them.  

This person probably paid too much during the AWB.  There is no longer an Assault Weapon Ban in place, and he lost money the day it ended. Either he doesn't understand that, or he is trying to jerk you around.

It might be worth just walking away.

I haven't offered a price yet.  Your price is more in line of what he gave for it this summer.  However, he's aware of what they are worth.  Is there something I'm missing that makes some SP1's worth 900 to 1000 and not other's?  Or is it that you just come across someone who doesn't know what they have?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In TX I would say $700 wholesale, $800 retail,  One gunshop in N. York was offering a 3-1 swap on receivers for new Rock River Arms.  So figure the receiver alone is worth maybe $400

Even though this is a Colt?  I like where you're going with the price just validate it for me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't offered a price yet.  Your price is more in line of what he gave for it this summer.  However, he's aware of what they are worth.  Is there something I'm missing that makes some SP1's worth 900 to 1000 and not other's?  Or is it that you just come across someone who doesn't know what they have?

If he is aware of what they are worth, he is trying to take advantage of you.  Prices vary, often depending on the part of the country, and the current demand.  In states that still have an AWB in effect, his price would still be a bit high.  In a state like yours which does not, his price is obscene.  Demand for a 20+ year old weapon is not overly great right now.  When the ban was going on, they were more in demand.

Price is also a factor when looking at the over all condition of the weapon.  In my case, the weapon was in outstanding condition.  The price was low due to a couple factors, but it was mainly that they had no interest in AR15s, and did have an interest in some other items.  Those items had run me $450, so it became a trade.  Good deals are usually a matter of talking to the right people at the right time.  The person I dealt with understood how much their AR15 was worth, and we both walked away very happy.

Absolutely the best information I have recieved to date on Arfcom!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm happy to have been of help.  Let us know how it turns out.  

If you are looking for a model SP-1, instead of any other model, you can always make a post in the hometown forum, or in the WTB section of the EE.  The gun auction boards would be another possibility where you could find a SP-1.  

If you are open to other AR15s, obviously there are plenty to choose from.

Yeah, I know.  But I shot this one.  And I kinda sorta fell in love with it.  So if I can manage it, I'm going to try to get it.  Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:27:49 AM EDT
[#17]
You can duplicate the basic look and feel of that rifle for less than $600. Sarco has 604 rifle kits for $425 + shipping [ app $15 ]. Add a lower and some mags and you are done.  Refinish the lower to match the upper if you want.

You can buy SP1 Carbines for $1200 which are worth way more than SP1 rifles. Don't go crazy just because it's a fun gun to shoot.

ETA:  I just looked at the pic more closely, I don't even think that is a Colt lower !!!   That doesn't look like no prancing pony to me. Don't buy this rifle if the lower is not genuine COLT

rj
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ETA:  I just looked at the pic more closely, I don't even think that is a Colt lower !!!   That doesn't look like no prancing pony to me. Don't buy this rifle if the lower is not genuine COLT

rj

It's a Colt lower, I can read "Colt AR-15" at the top right corner of the rollmark.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:38:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe your eyes are better than mine. It would not be hard

Real Colt 1980 SP1:

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I paid $850 for my SP1 back in Oct. of 2004. I wouldn't have paid that much but I just had to get one badly at the time. The bad thing about it is that I had an SP1 that I bought way back in 1988 and in a moment of sheer dumbass I sold it in early '91 for $400. I did use that money to get a Colt HBAR that I still have, but it wasn't necessary to sell the SP1.

Sorry to veer off topic. The guy is on dope if he thinks he's going to get $1700 for that rifle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:03:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Tell him that DURING THE BAN the much more "desireable/collectable/interesting" CAR's were around $1700 tops, which was a ridiculous price people paid only due to desperation, stupidity, or lust.

IMO $1,000 tops for an SP1 rifle, and I love older Colt's.  Personally, I would walk away from this overpriced SP1, and look around on Gunbroker, the EE, etc. until you find something priced FAIRLY.

EXCEPT for the nostalgia, you would not be able to tell any difference if you find an M16A1 uppper and mate it with a later model lower and the appropriate furniture.  Even including the expense of shipping it off for refinishing you would come out ahead.

That said, I can appreciate a desire for a simple shooter.  And a person who "knows what (s)he's doing" can wield an SP1 rifle quite effectively.  Just don't be thinking this is the last one you will see, as there are many out there priced more reasonably.

Patience will save you a lot of money in this instance.

Paladin

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok guys, the owner is my ex who needs the cash.  I have dibs on buying it.  What should I offer?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#23]
This one is getting no takers at $1100 shipped :

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=328581

I think rifles top out at $1000 and Carbines at $1200 to $1400.  Now, if you walk around a gunshow you will see some ridiculous prices. Carbines with the wrong stock for $1700 .  Cobby rifles for $1400.

TX, is the one you are looking at genuine Colt? I can't tell from the pic. Does the roll mark have the prancing pony and Colt AR15 ?

rj
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#25]
$800 cash, dont go any higher than $1000.00.  If he just bought it over the summer, and you just liked the way it shot, it is easily replaced by similar in that price range.  If it had sentimental value to you (family heirloom, something like that) then you might be willing to go a bit higher.  

But for $1,700.00, tell him to keep dreamin and walk away.  

You can get far more gun for the money from some of the dealers on this board.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ok guys, the owner is my ex who needs the cash.  I have dibs on buying it.  What should I offer?

It is not worth $1000 to an informed buyer, but could probably sell for as much as $900 given someone who really likes a Colt.

For that rifle, I'd offer $750 and try to settle around $850 - maybe as high as $900.

It really depends whether you like that specific MODEL, and it has to be a COLT, or whether you just kinda like the feel and shooting of that design.

Here's the rifle that I put together some months ago - a used A1 upper on a lower I had lying around, total cost was less than $600, and it shoots great (the target is from shooting standing at 100 yards).  So if it's just the type of rifle that you like, and the model or brand is really not that important , you should easily be able to put one together yourself for about $600 by just keeping your eyes open and buying stuff on the Equipment Exchange here at arfcom:
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not worth $1000 to an informed buyer, but could probably sell for as much as $900 given someone who really likes a Colt.

For that rifle, I'd offer $750 and try to settle around $850 - maybe as high as $900.

It really depends whether you like that specific MODEL, and it has to be a COLT, or whether you just kinda like the feel and shooting of that design.

Here's the rifle that I put together some months ago - a used A1 upper on a lower I had lying around, total cost was less than $600, and it shoots great (the target is from shooting standing at 100 yards).  So if it's just the type of rifle that you like, and the model or brand is really not that important , you should easily be able to put one together yourself for about $600 by just keeping your eyes open and buying stuff on the Equipment Exchange here at arfcom:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=43810[/qu

ote]

Wow, Dk!  I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough yet to put together my own.  I'd like to one day.  I've handled this particular one a bit and I think I can swing the deal.  I appreciate everyone's advice.  I knew the $1700 quote was coming from his, er, uh, nether region.  Everybody keep their fingers crossed for me!  I may be able to work the deal for 400 cash and some trades.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Wow, Dk!  I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough yet to put together my own.  I'd like to one day.  I've handled this particular one a bit and I think I can swing the deal.  I appreciate everyone's advice.  I knew the $1700 quote was coming from his, er, uh, nether region.  Everybody keep their fingers crossed for me!  I may be able to work the deal for 400 cash and some trades.  We'll see.

Good luck.

Btw - keep in mind that when I said "put together" we're talking about a complete lower I had lying around, and a barreled upper I bought.  The putting together part was literally sliding the bolt carrier group into the upper, putting it on top of the lower and pushing in the two pins.  20 seconds of "work" that anyone could do .

(If you're assmebling the lower, with a parts kit and a stripped lower, then it may take an hour or two the first time, and can get a little tricky, but ultimately not even that hard either)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

Btw - keep in mind that when I said "put together" we're talking about a complete lower I had lying around, and a barreled upper I bought.  The putting together part was literally sliding the bolt carrier group into the upper, putting it on top of the lower and pushing in the two pins.  20 seconds of "work" that anyone could do .

(If you're assmebling the lower, with a parts kit and a stripped lower, then it may take an hour or two the first time, and can get a little tricky, but ultimately not even that hard either)

Well, I think that much I could handle.  A quick question.  This one has a chrome lined barrel.  Are all rifles like that chrome lined?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top