Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
zam ,

if you go with the flat top you will need a back up sighting system that does no rely on bateries but the carrying handle has some draw backs too

like what? i was kind of leaning towards the carry handle one.

Why not get a flat top and a removeable carry handle?  It would only cost a little more....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
zam ,

if you go with the flat top you will need a back up sighting system that does no rely on bateries but the carrying handle has some draw backs too

like what? i was kind of leaning towards the carry handle one.

Why not get a flat top and a removeable carry handle?  It would only cost a little more....

well now that is news to me how does that work?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#3]
zam,

i like simplicity. to tell you the truth i hardly ever use the reddot on the side. if you get the carrying handle version and put a low powered scope on it you' ll have to have the time to be able to get used to adjusting your head up or down to align with the scope or sights. it takes a while.
now when we do drills or out at the range i go by this for my sights

scope= 300 yds to 75 yds

a1 sights= 75 yds to 25

turn the rifle at a slant so i can see down the barrel for any closer targets
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#4]
ok guys i gotta get going but feel free to post any info i'll read it latter. thanks again
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#5]
as far as a removable carrying handle if you really cant make up your mind then thats an option

but i thought we had a budget to follow
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#6]
gus,

what kind of set up(s) do you have
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well now that is news to me how does that work?

It's a standard flat top upper receiver, and a carry handle that attaches to the receiver rail, secured by thumb screws. Uses a standard A2 sight. Going this route, you get essentially an A2 gun until such time as you can determine what your needs are with regard to add-ons and other doodads.  It's better to learn to shoot using irons, and practice with them often.

This is an RRA that I sold last year. You could get something like this but with standard M4 style handguards for well under $1k. Spend some time shopping around before you buy. Knowledge is your friend!!  Stick to known name brands (Oly, RRA, Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite). Oly makes a good rifle as well, although I prefer Bushmaster (just my preference). Once you have your first rifle, don't be surprised when you find your self building another one at some later point in time!  It's a sickness, really...

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#8]
is there a good company that makes stock ARs for a cheaper price--yes: try RRA

used ARs are available--check out our EE or gun auction sites

the AR180 is an economical "assault rifle" that has a similar setup to the AR (erogonomics wise), but is cheaper to manufature and has a different mechanical system of operation (its a long stroke gas pison system)
the Armalite AR 180(B?) has a polymer reciever instead of the old aluminum version--from what i hear, its a pretty ok setup, w/ some complaints on the 'durablity' of the reciever (which i think would hold up under normal use like other polymers)

your best bet maybe is either to save up your $$$s and buy a stock AR; if not, you can begin to buy parts and put it together, piece by piece (check out the build it yourself forum)

AR kits are also viable
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
gus,

Is that a 14.5" barrel or a 16"
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
gus,

14.5" with the supressor permanently attached.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm new to this forum stuff how do i post a picture like you did

be greatly appreciated if yall could teach me
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm new to this forum stuff how do i post a picture like you did

be greatly appreciated if yall could teach me

Click HERE for a thread that should help you. Basically, you have to upload your pics to a host and then link to your stored pics from a thread as shown in the above link.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
gus,

hey man just wondering how did u get one with a 14.5 barrel i thought the shortest legally allowed was 16. Just wondering a 14.5 would be pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
gus,

hey man just wondering how did u get one with a 14.5 barrel i thought the shortest legally allowed was 16. Just wondering a 14.5 would be pretty sweet.

It's legally a 16" because the flash suppressor is permanently attached, and the overall length including the supressor is 16"
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My rifle cost me roughly $800 total.
dubisteinspundloch.com/AR15/DSCF4709.JPG
Includes carry handle not seen in pic.

DUDE!!!
Nice Guns you have there!
Seriously, you realize you left the bedroom door open, right?
oh...........and thanks!

Yep - he left more than that open
She's got some very nice guns too!
And I must concur... THANKYOU

damn linky no work i wanna see this pic
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]
what about dpms are they a good brand?
hey guys take a look at this one http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43971893 is that a good sight on there, could i still use a regular iron sight if i take that one of for wha tever reason?

Edit:: o quick question could  use an ar to hunt if i ever wanted to?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#17]
DPMS is good stuff as well. That looks like a decent deal, but let him keep all his "tactical" accessories for now. Get a DPMS brand carry handle for it. Shoot it often for a year or so, then you'll know better what you want and/or need.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
DPMS is good stuff as well. That looks like a decent deal, but let him keep all his "tactical" accessories for now. Get a DPMS brand carry handle for it. Shoot it often for a year or so, then you'll know better what you want and/or need.  

cool thanks for the info man o by the way nice sig, i am more of  maro fan my self but thats  a nice looking charger lol hope they are out soon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks for the thread gus
although i still have no idea what i am doing
i've been fooling around with this sence you told me about it and still no luck
o well
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#22]
hey what gives i cant get into gunbroker.com  it keeps saying acces denied. Does it shut down at night or something?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
if i was broke i would save and buy piece by piece and end up with a super ar

This is my plan. Cheaper in the long run to buy the parts you want than buy a complete gun and buy the parts you want later. Picking the stock/sights/mags I want as not to buy them twice for 1 gun.

No worries about gun assembly for me. The parts don't "seem" that hard to put together but I'm buying complete upper/lower assemblies (lower is minus the stock)  seperately because they pretty much have the internals I want anyway. I would build one piece by piece for this build but this is also my first AR and want to ease in.

The uppers and lowers go together easily (2 pins). Bolt up the buffer tube and install the stock (some lowers have the stock/tube already installed, some uppers have the sights pre-installed). Install the sights, load a mag and zero the sights in (or have someone do it for you). Done. Only specialized tool in this case is for the castle nut for the buffer tube.

Why not at least "ease" into building your AR? There's plenty of help here!

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Definitely learn about the upper / lower thing (prices below are approximate).

You should be able to find a local gun shop that sells "complete lowers", the lower is the only part that requires the paperwork (even if not "complete").  Complete will get you the lower with fire control (trigger/hammer) and a stock (decide collapsible or not), at somewhere around $200.

Then you can start shopping for an upper (upper receiver/barrel/handguards w/ or w/o bolt carrier assembly). This is when you need to decide on flat top or carry handle issues ($400 - 450).

This will save you some $$$, complete rifles new include a tax that you don't need to pay, plus buying it this way will allow you some cash flow flexibility and let you put together (semi-build) a rifle to suit your wants/needs. It'll also you appeases your need for something now, once you get your lower you can play / learn / and pretend to shoot it until you have decided on an upper you can afford and to buy it.

Let me know if I can help, I was in your boat about a year ago.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Definitely learn about the upper / lower thing (prices below are approximate).

You should be able to find a local gun shop that sells "complete lowers", the lower is the only part that requires the paperwork (even if not "complete").  Complete will get you the lower with fire control (trigger/hammer) and a stock (decide collapsible or not), at somewhere around $200.

Then you can start shopping for an upper (upper receiver/barrel/handguards w/ or w/o bolt carrier assembly). This is when you need to decide on flat top or carry handle issues ($400 - 450).

This will save you some $$$, complete rifles new include a tax that you don't need to pay, plus buying it this way will allow you some cash flow flexibility and let you put together (semi-build) a rifle to suit your wants/needs. It'll also you appeases your need for something now, once you get your lower you can play / learn / and pretend to shoot it until you have decided on an upper you can afford and to buy it.

Let me know if I can help, I was in your boat about a year ago.

thanks  for the info but i think i am just gona go for a stock rifle, i dont want to get to complicated, i am pretty much set on one with a carry handle instead of the flattop? what are the advantages and disadvanteges of either one?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top