Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/14/2006 6:43:18 PM EDT
I want to mount a red dot sight on my new AR. its a A2. where would be the best place to mount it? and what would i need besides the scope.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 6:52:09 PM EDT by Optik45]
There are a couple rail mounts for the A2 out there. A.R.M.S makes a good one:

Clicky
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:53:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Optik45:

Clicky

thats not bad, but wouldnt that put it a little higher then my line of sight? sorry for the stupid newB questions.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:55:53 PM EDT
you need one of these. Good price too
A2 mount
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 7:09:16 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]

Originally Posted By Optik45:

Clicky

Nice, so you can use a scope, and the iron sights? I just might get one of those for myself...

i'm havinga hard time deciding whether I want a carry handle or a low power scope on my 16" m4. Might as well get the best of both worlds
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 7:14:02 PM EDT by Phoebus]
Most red-dot type scopes come with a mount for rails. You would need a rail to mount it on. Two options:
-Rail adapter for the top of the carry handle: while some people like this, I find that you want more eye relief on a aimpoint type optic when shooting with both eyes open. Also,this puts the sight WAY over your bore (ruining POI at short distances) and prevents co-witnessing, if you want that.
-"gooseneck" mount: this attaches to the carry handle and then goosenecks down to just above the handguards, placeing the sight in a good spot for two-eye shooting and co-witnessing. This would be my preference.

ETA: looks like your question was answered before I finished typing this post LOL. That's what I get for watching x-files while surfing ARFcom.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:20:12 PM EDT
I guess ill have too look at some of the options. I was planning on getting an A3 but ended up with the A2 so now i have to figure out new plans for the sight set up. I really want a red dot style though i hear they are good for people that are right handed/left eye dominate like myself
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:20:13 AM EDT
another quick question, if i was to get a red dot type scope could i mount it on the handgaurd since i have rails on it? or would that leave it to low?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:19:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sjr87:
another quick question, if i was to get a red dot type scope could i mount it on the handgaurd since i have rails on it? or would that leave it to low?

if the handguards are solidly mounted why not but you may run into a heat problem if your prone to mag dumping
As far as height goes it works for some and not for others.
Top Top