Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 7:28:54 AM EDT
Reed Knights collection is linked HERE  and discussed HERE

WTH is the ball shaped item on the top rifle??

Thanks.

Fish
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a radiation orb that you shoot towards the enemy to make them sterile.

Keeps them from having kids that will be your enemy in the future...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, it's some sort of self propelled rocket.  Not sure what it's designation/name is.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Its called a RAW... I forget what it stands for. It is ignited from the first round being fired.

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Brunswick begins a company funded NDI qualification of the Rifleman's Assault Weapon (RAW). The RAW is bowling ball-shaped, rocket-propelled grenade fired from a device attached to the muzzle and bayonet lug of a M16.
- http://www.thegunzone.com/556dw-4.html

The Brunswick RAW (left) was an interesting weapon that showed considerable destructive potential. In form it was a spherical 140mm diameter rocket propelled rifle grenade. The original model had a 3lb (1.36kg) HESH warhead but in later models this was reduced to 1kg. This round could blow a 36cm (14") diameter hole in 20cm (8") of double reinforced concrete. A later development was MuliPurpose Munition or MPM-RAW, a pre-fragmented anti-personnel/anti-material round using tungsten pellets and know as the "Flying Claymore". This had five to ten times the effective range and lethality of a 40x46mm grenade and was fitted with a variable range and height-of-burst fusing for both direct fire and indirect fire to 2000m. Trials indicated 81% casualty hits out to at least a 35m radius. MPM-RAW also retained 90% of the breaching capability of the HESH-RAW. There was also a version with a HEAT warhead with a laser proximity fuse designed to detonate the round at correct standoff distance. The large 40 cubic inch capacity of the warhead could also be used to carry useful loads of fillings such as smoke, CS or incendiary compounds.
       The launch mechanism was also quite novel. The grenade fitted in a bracket under the rifle's muzzle and some of the gas from firing a ball round was diverted to operate the firing pin that ignited the RAW's rocket motor. The projectile was soft-launched with very little backblast or recoil and spin-stabilized. Thrust was balanced for both lift and propulsion so flight to at least 300m was effectively flat. Within 200m the weapon could be aimed without any need to consider holdover. The grenade accelerated to a velocity of 173m/s and flight time to 200m was 1.9secs. Use of spin stabilization rather than fins eliminated any tendency to "weathercock" in cross-winds. Fired at a high elevation a range of around 2.5km was possible.
       Whilst the warhead was effective, it was probably the launching mechanism that prevented the concept catching on.
- http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/rpg.html

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool info, thanks for the replies.

Looks like that puppy could do some damage.  

2.5 km range on a 1 kg warhead.  I would like to see that in action.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Saw that in person last month.  Nice collection.  

My favorite was a 25mm on the floor.  It was dual feed, rounds feed from both left and right at same time, HUGE rotating bolt that looked like an M16 bolt supersized.  It was no where near the size and bulk of the M242 Bushmaster 25mm.  This was no chain gun.  Nice.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn it, I should have gone with my instincts and said it was a bowling ball launcher.  It's the surest way to get a strike while bowling.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Damn it, I should have gone with my instincts and said it was a bowling ball launcher.  It's the surest way to get a strike while bowling.

Sly

The irony that is was manufactured by Brunswick made me laugh when I read it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top