Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2006 5:45:26 AM EDT
I am building an 17HMR upper based on the CZ V22 upper.

I am torn on which upper receiver to use.  I don't want to use the original CZ upper because the barrel mount isn't to AR specs, and the charging handle slot isn't milled.  So I searched around for side port (i.e. less deflector and FA) and I found one on a website mentioned here.  It looked like a good fit, as it didn't have the ejection port door feature either.  I purchased it and when it arrived the flat top wasn't spec either---it was higher.  Later I found out this is actually a DMPS product.  The place where I purchased it didn't mention anything about a 'slightly higher' rail, but DPMS site does.

www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FTT-LP

I also didn't like the 'build up material' that DPMS uses (personal preference) as I was shooting for a particular look to this build.  So I purchased a Colt Flat Top upper from a member on EE, and it came in.  Everything fits fine and is to spec, but now I am not sure if I want to machine the ejection port area out  for proper operation of the 17MHR brass ejection.

So, to finish my problem and get to the point---is there any other manufacturer that makes a Upper Receiver like DMPS that is more standard 'to spec'?????  

The DPMS is almost perfect except for the extra 'meat' and the slightly higher rail.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I know it has only been a few hours, but I thought someone would know if there was another source for this type upper receiver.

Thanks,
Edwin
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]
rra has a slabside 9mm flattop.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, for the reply.

That would have worked better than the DPMS, but I wanted to see some progress with my build so I just took my new Colt upper and machined the piss out of it to give ti a larger ejection hole.

So I will be spraying on some OD Moly tonight on my Upper/Lower and Barrel.  Then I will cook it for an hour, and assemble the upper and lower.  Finally, I will have to work out the details of the bolt system...as I have a few hickups to fiddle with.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top