Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 8:12:16 PM EDT
I was shooting earlier and got a fine dusting of sand and dirt covering the inside and outside of my rifle (it was verrrrrrry windy). Is it OK to use a towel with water to clean it off.......do I need to keep the water out of the interior or can I use it inside as well as long as I oil......would the bolt rust....anything I need to know? Sorry for this basic question I just dont want to rust my rifle and this seems like the easiest and fastest way to clean it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:16:10 PM EDT
um, just clean as you normally would. wipe everyhting clean with solvent then coat with gun oil
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:17:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By christ0ph:
um, just clean as you normally would. wipe everyhting clean with solvent then coat with gun oil

Coat the outside of the rifle w/ oil too?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:18:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 8:19:00 PM EDT by HarrySacz]
If it was an AK you could fill it with sand and still shoot it.
No dont coat the outside of the rifle.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:28:20 AM EDT
Buy a cheap 1 or 2” paint brush to use during cleaning. I have one I cut the bristles down on to make it stiffer, I use this to clean off the exterior of the rifle. Also a can of air for PC’s or a compressor helps as well.
I have some lube tips posted below which cover desert environments, check the bottom of the second illustration.

Quib

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=265747

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:36:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:
Coat the outside of the rifle w/ oil too?

No need for that. The exterior of the rifle (other than the barrel and front sight base) is either anodized aluminum or a plastic polymer. Neither of which need oil for any reason. Oiling the oustide of the rifle is only going to make a bigger mess when you take it in the field.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:19:11 AM EDT
take out back and hit it with the water hose if you want.

just make sure to wipe it down and re-oil it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:14:10 AM EDT
Go to your local drug store and get a cheap shaving brush. Those are great for dusting weapons of all sorts.
Top Top