User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered an ERGO on Sunday and it should be here by Friday.  If I end up not liking it, I'll try the Tango Down next.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the feel of the A1 grip. It's very comfortable in my hand. I've also picked up some Hogue grips at some fun shows and I liked the feel of those too. I don't really mind the A2 either but I prefer the A1.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have the first Samco G27.
Great grip, but I can't compare to others, since I haven't tried them.

Thank you for being honest.  Far too many posts in this thread and on this board are not qualified.  "I like brand x" isn't really valid unless preceded by "I've owned brand x, y, and z".
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I really like the feel of the A1 grip. It's very comfortable in my hand. I've also picked up some Hogue grips at some fun shows and I liked the feel of those too. I don't really mind the A2 either but I prefer the A1.

Given a choice between the two almost everyone will say they like the A1 better.  This is especially true if you actually leave the bench with your rifle from time to time and do any sort of competing or training.  The various contortions you may find your hand in conflict with the bump in the A2 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
4 standard and one MIAD...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have the first Samco G27.
Great grip, but I can't compare to others, since I haven't tried them.

Thank you for being honest.  Far too many posts in this thread and on this board are not qualified.  "I like brand x" isn't really valid unless preceded by "I've owned brand x, y, and z".

I've tried the standard A2, Hogue, Ergogrip, Duckbill & FOBUS G27.

The A2 is fine, but I have long fingers and my trigger finger naturally comes to rest with the trigger seated @ the second joint of my index finger. Thus, I had to do something different.  At first, all I wanted was comfort so I tried the Hogue.  It's just a rubberized A2. While it feels good, it does not add to the equation beyond the textured grip.

The Duckbill added comfort but only when holding the rifle by one hand, muzzle down. (Which I don't usually shoot at my feet)  The part I disliked about it is that the grip itself is narrower.  Probably would feel real good to a woman.  With the Duckbill, I could have the trigger resting BEHIND the second joint on my trigger finger.  All wrong.

Then I tried a FOBUS G27.  I was shocked, hardly ever having felt the trigger landing on the pad of my trigger finger.  It sure changed my world.  Since the grip is deeper front to back, it moves my hand back from the trigger allowing my finger to naturally rest with either the first joint or pad of my trigger finger on the trigger.  Who'd of thunk it?  This aids greatly in trigger control.  Not only is this grip more functional, looks are fine and it is comfortable as all get out.

So I knew I liked the G27 but my friends were all buying Ergo grips.  My buddy had taken off a hard plastic Ergo from his BFI Modular Carbine and replaced w/ the rubberized Ergogrip.  I offered to buy his Ergo to give it a try as it appears similar to the G27.  It ain't no G27.  On my C-stocked carbines, the fobus ends very cleanly at the locking plate.  The Ergo grip does not and looks added on rather than integral to the weapon itself.  But that's just the looks of it.  Function-wise, it's too narrow.  Feels like the weapon wants to topple over left or right.  It's a bit difficult to descripe.  If holding the weapon by the pistol grip only in my strong hand, it seems "wobbly" due to being too narrow for sturdy support of the weapon.

Conclusion:  I like the G27 so much, I've got 6 on hand and bought my Dad and brother one too.  They agree it's the best they'be tried.

The only other note I have on the G27 is that on an A2 stock, the back of the grip overlaps the receiver and meets the shell of the buttstock at the front/bottom, looks asthetically odd, but still every bit functional.

HTH.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've tried the standard A2, Hogue, Ergogrip, Duckbill & FOBUS G27.

The A2 is fine, but I have long fingers and my trigger finger naturally comes to rest with the trigger seated @ the second joint of my index finger. Thus, I had to do something different.  At first, all I wanted was comfort so I tried the Hogue.  It's just a rubberized A2. While it feels good, it does not add to the equation beyond the textured grip.

The Duckbill added comfort but only when holding the rifle by one hand, muzzle down. (Which I don't usually shoot at my feet)  The part I disliked about it is that the grip itself is narrower.  Probably would feel real good to a woman.  With the Duckbill, I could have the trigger resting BEHIND the second joint on my trigger finger.  All wrong.

Then I tried a FOBUS G27.  I was shocked, hardly ever having felt the trigger landing on the pad of my trigger finger.  It sure changed my world.  Since the grip is deeper front to back, it moves my hand back from the trigger allowing my finger to naturally rest with either the first joint or pad of my trigger finger on the trigger.  Who'd of thunk it?  This aids greatly in trigger control.  Not only is this grip more functional, looks are fine and it is comfortable as all get out.

So I knew I liked the G27 but my friends were all buying Ergo grips.  My buddy had taken off a hard plastic Ergo from his BFI Modular Carbine and replaced w/ the rubberized Ergogrip.  I offered to buy his Ergo to give it a try as it appears similar to the G27.  It ain't no G27.  On my C-stocked carbines, the fobus ends very cleanly at the locking plate.  The Ergo grip does not and looks added on rather than integral to the weapon itself.  But that's just the looks of it.  Function-wise, it's too narrow.  Feels like the weapon wants to topple over left or right.  It's a bit difficult to descripe.  If holding the weapon by the pistol grip only in my strong hand, it seems "wobbly" due to being too narrow for sturdy support of the weapon.

Conclusion:  I like the G27 so much, I've got 6 on hand and bought my Dad and brother one too.  They agree it's the best they'be tried.

The only other note I have on the G27 is that on an A2 stock, the back of the grip overlaps the receiver and meets the shell of the buttstock at the front/bottom, looks asthetically odd, but still every bit functional.

HTH.

Sly

Best post in the whole damn thread!

While I disagree completely with your findings and opinion, it's yours and it's based on actual trigger time with several grips.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think I'm gonna go with the Ergo or G27.  It's tough

I snapped an Ergo....

That's the other complaint I have of the Ergo. I didn't mention it above because every MFG has they're off days...  The quality of construction on the outside appears like they know what they're doing.  But, and I didn't notice this until after I removed the grip from my rifle, looking at the area at the top of the pistol grip @ the hole where the grip bolt passes through the grip, my grip was very poorly molded.  It appears broken, but it's actually just that not enough plastic was injected to solidly fill the mold. On the outside it looks fine, but I'll bet a good torque on the grip and it'll bust.  

Sly
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#11]
MIAD
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I prefer the Hogue grip for my rifles.

+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Lets Tango..............
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Went to the local custom shop and tried several different ones.  Hogue, TD and another that I don't remember the brand on but it was a grip with the flat bottom, palm swell and thumb shelf.  To be honest before I tried them I thought I wanted the jazzed up one that I don't remember the brand of.  After handling them all on the weapon I decided on the TD Battle grip.  It is simple functional and comfortable.  JMO
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Hogue and A2s
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Ordered the G27.  We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Ergo grip on mine, and the stock one when I get bored and need a 'change'
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]
If the MAID was not around I would have left my Houges on
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#19]
MIAD or standard A2.  Both with a Gapper.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I use Hogue
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#22]
A MIAD as of today
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Anybody have experience with the First Samco G27?  It looks really comfortable.

I have G27 on all my rifles and i like it very much.  Fills the hand well and is very solid and comfortable.  my .02
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I've tried most, and I prefer the MIAD.  I prefer the smooth front strap and the largest back strap.  I then slide a section of innertube over the grip.  I do this (add the tube) on all of my weapons that have a pistol grip, to exclude the 1911.  I have also done this on my ERGO equipped AR, and I like it as a close second to the MIAD.

MIAD fits my hand the best of all the grips out there, and the innertube gives me the grippability of the Hogue.  It's the best of both worlds IMHO.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Hogue all the way!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Hogue!

Or this:
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Magpul MIAD

I don't care for having the trigger naturally land on the second joint of my trigger finger when gripping the rifle, and I don't like finger grooves in my grip.  So I configured the MIAD with the thickest adapter for the back panel of the grip and the front panel that doesn't have the finger groove.  The grip seems to fit me perfectly now, so I doubt I'll bother trying anything different.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Magpul
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I've used the A1, A2, Ergo hard, Ergo SureGrip, and G27.  The G27 is too big for my hands.  I prefer an A1 to an A2, as that bump is ALWAYS in the way.  But, for comfort, I LOVE the Ergo SureGrip.  The thing is, in combat ops here in Iraq, I've snapped TWO of 'em.  Yet, I love them so much, that I just keep an extra one on me and continue to use my (3rd) Ergo.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#30]
G27 for me

My handspan from tip of thumb to tip of pinky is 8.5" and width accross my knuckles is 3.5" and it fits me fine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish I didn't have gimp hands

I think it's the backstrap width on the G27 that jacks me up, specifically.  But, for those of you that are more anatomically correct, I say try it!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm "Old School",  A1.  Or a Duckbill.   It's close to the A1.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Ergo Grip here
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ERGO grip.

+1

Ya know, this really has a lot  more to do with what kind of hands you've got, rather than what other people  are using

I have ERGO grips on both my Bushy M4, and my AR-10.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:12:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I looked around and while the Tangodown Battlegrip looked nice, the hard plastic isn't my cup of tea. The same goes for the MIAD (good idea on paper, but seems flimsy). The G27 has got the right idea but the hard plastic seems to turn people away from it. I have found that a soft/rubber like compound will go a long way towards comfort and recoil mitigation. Yes, I know .223/5.56 doesn't kick much, but having sharp/textured plastic surfaces stick into your hand isn't a good idea either.

Based on price and bang for the buck evaluation, the Hogue grip still seems like the right choice for me. Hard plastic is a great idea for durability and cleaning, but not the best solution for comfort and ergonomics.

I dremeled the finger "groove" on the A2 pistol grip to smooth it out. Overall it feels rather nice but the side checkering digs into my skin and I don't like the feeling.

My only complaint about the Hogue is that the finger grooves are spaced too far below the receiver. For a "correct" grip, it feels weird to have my hand so far down the receiver. I'm used to putting the web between the thumb and index up as high as possible (Glock).
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#36]
There's only one way to tell which grip is best for you...try them all. Preferably at the same time.

I sold my Hogue recently, but I've got just about everything else represented except the "duckbill" and the old Lone Star "stowaway" grip. I didn't have loose A2 for the picture. Yes, I used to have an OD green fetish.

Observations...

- I hate finger grooves on anything. I learned this after owning a 3rd gen Glock. This didn't keep me from buying the AR grips with finger grooves, though.

- All of the grips could use a more aggressive texture. I shoot a 1911 with 20LPI checkering on the frontstrap and Gunners. Compared to that, all of the grips feel like they have slightly more texture than 1" PVC pipe.

- The rubbery surfaced grips are nice - at least the Hogue was. The Ergo I have is the hard version.

- The "gapper" is a good idea, but the extension piece on the TD is better.

- The grip is the only place I have to store anything on the rifle (I run a KAC VFG and standard CAR stock), so obviously I prefer grips with storage.

on to the grips...

Tango Down: this is my favorite grip, but it's not perfect by any means. It's a little small for my taste, especially at the top - it feels like it tapers more than other grips. Texture is decent, could be better. The extension under the trigger guard is priceless, and the battery storage is well thought out, although I'm not sure how waterproof it really is.

MIAD: I like the MIAD a lot, but I don't like the idea of a 4-piece pistol grip. I also don't like the way the storage compartment locks in. I have a feeling the little locking tab will eventually break. The texture is better than the TD, and the interchangeable backstraps make it possible to fit pretty much anybody's hand. The only other issue I have with it is the proprietary allen screw. I've had grips come loose on military field ops before and being able to re-tighten the grip screw with a Leatherman is nice. Can't do that with an allen wrench. Because of the tapered head on the screw, the regular one won't fit. I have the basic version, not the full version, so I haven't tried the integrated trigger guard.

Samco: Didn't care for the finger grooves. I have large hands but really skinny fingers, and the grooves didn't fit me at all. I'm not sure I trust the storage compartment. The beavertail area had to be dremeled to fit under my DD sling plate. I really, really hate that they put this grip on the SIG 556.

Ergo: I hate this grip. It's wedge-shaped, with the narrow end pointing into your palm. The finger grooves are subdued, but still annoying. I have the "ambi" model and the thumbrests are next to useless. The storage plug would definitely fall out if it was ever used for anything serious.

Hogue: Aside from the finger grooves, I liked the Hogue grip. The soft texture is very nice and the shape and grip angle are about perfect. No storage though.

A1: I like the A1 grip. It's simple, has decent checkered texture on the sides, and is pretty comforatable. I'd like it better if it had a serrated backstrap like the A2 grip. Only downsides are that it's a little small and has no storage capability.

A2: The single finger groove on the A2 doesn't bother me that much, to be honest. I carried a rifle with an A2 long enough to get used to it. I like the A1 better though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I use a TangoDown on my M4, and a Magpul MIAD on my 20".
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm also an "Old School" guy with a medium size hands and I prefer the A1 style because that was what I got used to with my first SP-1 AR, I don't like finger grooves.

I have a Les Baer "duck bill" A1 style on my M16A2 clone 20" Gov't profile rifle.

My M4gery came from the factory with TangoDown Battlegrip and I changed it with Magpul MIAD without finger grooves on the front strap of the grip.

My mid length carbine also got a Magpul MIAD same as my M4gery.

I would recommend the MIAD grip because it should fit different sizes of hands better than the non-adjustable type of grips.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#39]
ergo ambi
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Tango Down here, in CB.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Tango Down
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#42]
g27 on all of my rifles
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#43]
The newer rubberized Ergo Grip on every rifle but one and on that , there is a Hogue.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#44]
All of mine have Hogue's
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Check out this thread's grips poll in the Slings and Other Accessories forum.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=267391
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top