Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:29:10 PM EDT
I recently picked up a RRA 16" with a stainless bull barrel. Now this thing is pretty heavy. My question is what gains do I get with this bull barrel, and what are the benefits of going with a lighter barrel, (other than weight alone).

Ryan
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Bull is supposed to dissapate the vibrations for  better shot - I have a DPMS 16" SS Bull and love it.

It is pretty accurate - but honestly I think my RR 16" m-4 type barrel is capable of tighter groups.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
RRA bulls are 1:8 wilson blanks, with a Wylde chamber.  What you get, is an extremely accurate barrel, that has excellent barrel heat-verticle stringing properties.  Fatter barrels heat up slower, and often have better harmonics for tight consistent groups.

If you arent planning on shooting match ammo or spending time on the bench with a good scope making groups of small holes.... why did you buy it?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
bought it because the price was really right. and yes, the barrel heats up slowly, but when it is HOT, it stays hot for a looooong time too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A match grade rifle, i.e. with heavy barrel, trigger, free float, etc. is pretty worthless unless you plan on doing precision shooting at longer ranges.  At combat ranges, shooting ball ammo, any of those features are pretty worthless, and may add to the weight of the rifle, lessen durability, and definitely increase the price tag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, my regular range limits me to 100 yds. I could go to Perry to shoot longer, but not regularly. I also do not have a ton of cash to slap down on GOOD glass right now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
So, would (hypothetically) someone want to trade for a 16" lightweight barrel?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't ahve anything to trade, how about a outright sale?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
id keep it, but your the one enjoying it.  check out the hometown forums, they have range listings.  i used to live in cleve and columbus.  
www.briarrabbit.com/index.asp
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have decided to keep it, but seeing as I have a fully equipped machine shop, I decided to flute the barrel. Hopefully this will give me what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have decided to keep it, but seeing as I have a fully equipped machine shop, I decided to flute the barrel. Hopefully this will give me what I am looking for.

Fluting should lighten it up a bit.  You might be able to turn it down a little too, but that would probably be too much trouble for too little benefit.  I'm sure it's a great shooter.  MJD
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top