Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:54:08 AM EDT
Has anyone coated the inside of the barrel with liquid moly and if so what was your results?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:12:53 AM EDT
I wouldn't mess with moly if you already have a hard-chromed barrel. I experimented with moly coated bullets some years ago and still have a few boxes on hand. I'm over that too. Bullet pull is different, point of impact changes, etc. Moly was a fad in the benchrest community beginning about...oh...10 years ago. May still be going on, but they live in a different world than most of us.

I can see some application for moly on some bearing surfaces, like maybe trigger parts, slide/frame contact points. If you are really curious, do some research in benchrest shooting publications, then decide.

Jeff
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:25 AM EDT
Are you talking about the moly that goes on bullets, or the moly that goes on the outside of weapons?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:37:24 AM EDT
Liquid moly that you can coat bullets or the inside of a barrel. I use it on my benchrest 22-250. At one time soemone told me that I would get better accuracy if I cleaned it out. I did and the weapon lost it's accuracy. I recoated the barrel and the accuracy came right back.
Of course I also use moly bullets and don't clean the barrel
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:08:26 AM EDT
Using moly coated bullets and moly burnished bores is pretty common in Service Rifle competition. I use moly, but it has less to do with accuracy directly than pressuring and velocity, and easy cleaning. It's easier to clean up moly fouling and re-moly the bore than to clean up copper fouling.

Never cleaning? Not anyone's wildest dreams. I put a few patches of kroil down the bore after every 88 or so rounds, plus cleaning the chamber and bolt. I clean the barrel down to bare metal after every 300 rounds or so. I then reapply a coating of moly paste which is burnished into the bore. This 'fixes' the cold bore shot; first shot is in the group. I'm not aware of any liquid moly for this application.

USGI Mk264 uses moly coated bullets.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:44:19 AM EDT
There use to be a company Ms Moly but I called their 800 no. and they told me that they stopped producing because no one purchased it. This was not a grease, it came in a aeresol can and I spray it on a mop and heat up the barrel with a heat gun. I had not cleaned the barrel in probably 800 rounds when someone told me if I cleaned it I would get more accurate. I cleaned and my grouping was gone. I coated the barrel again and it's just like before.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:45:01 AM EDT
I am talking about the moly that goes on bullets
Top Top