Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 7:49:28 PM EDT
I have nothing less than a fascination with the 9x23 Winchester... I've been thinking about an AR in this caliber for a few weeks now.

I believe the only issue would be the extra 4mm's in the magazines. Other than that, it should just be a matter of reaming the chamber out.

Anyone done this? Or do the mags prevent it as a option?

Paul
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
As a fan of the 9X23 myself, I like the idea, but mag problems pretty well doom this from the start...

9X25 AR maybe
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Mags are easy!  You can make the Sten modification or if I EVER get the program to accept my design, the Ppsh43 mags (originally for 7.62 x 25)

But seriously.  Milling the back rib out of a Sten and tacking new backplate on it allows loading 7.62 x 25.  These (and the 9 x 23 I would think) we run in gas mode so Oly Sten adapter, slightly opened 223 bolt and you're in business.  The Ppshmag adapter will be like the Colt system, so you can run it blow back Colt style or gas mode

Gunz, box with present going out tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Marty... see, this is why I like hanging around you guys

So, now figure out what mag I need for a 9X25 gun... something that started life as a 10MM maybe?

I am on the road, no hurry on the package, wont be home for a few weeks still... but I am looking forward to it! You have bolts for these too?

Later
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out Randalls 35-40 project, basically the 338 Spectre upped to 9mm .. (or the 9 x 33)  The 9 x 25 will work in the Ppsh mags as well, Meepers did a 10mm FAL using Ppsh mags ... they are quite versatile.

Bolts for your present are standard 6.8 as are mags.  I am all out but figured you might be able to find one ....

feet wet or dry?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys don't stop it soon, you will be looking for MARS receivers... wouldn't that be nice

Have to talk to you more about this when I get back, gotta hit the pit now.

Wet, of course
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a dedicated Rimfire and Pistol Caliber AR forum here. That's really where your post should be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Why not hit the "easy button" and order a .30 carbine upper from Oly?   It's a turn-key solution, backed with a warranty, using USGI magazines, with commercial ammo available in bulk.  (all those not being 9x23 attributes)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't realize there was a pistol caliber specific area - if a md reads this, please feel free to move it...

9x23 is the specific round I'd want to use... but this thread has given me some ideas.

Thanks for the input! Any more mag suggestions and I'm all ears :)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Doesnt the Colt have a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Doesnt the Colt have a chrome lined barrel?

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
That kinda scratches that plan then. Better use an RRA.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top