Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 6:29:21 PM EDT
Besides the reference books, in your opinion, what has been the best publication regarding the AR platform for you.

This was mine, found it yesterday in a box of old long forgotten goodies.
excellent reading, there have been many like it since but this one hits the nail on the head on every article. the pictures are fantastic, better than a Playboy, well maybe.

SWAT magazine, if you're listening, it's due for a 20th anniversary issue.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Seeing the names involved in some of the stories, I'm not surprised you enjoy it so much.

I don't really have one as most AR15 publications now days are hacked up claims from a friend of a friend who knows this guy that had this neighbor who knew this guy.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:29:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is (IMHO), the best reference for any AR-15 owner out there:

The AR15/M16 Complete Sourcebook - By Duncan Long

Is a must for every Black Rifle owner.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
they dont sell back issues that far back.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd want one!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#6]
That is my favorite too, and yours looks to be in worse shape then mine.  You think those gas piston set ups will ever catch on?

The Duncon Long book is, well, never mind.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have that issue somewhere in the basement.  Was thinking about it just the other day...need to go look for it.  Good memories I guess.

Jeff
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like to see more about the article An SMG for every wallet. on page 62

Since that SWAT mag is from 1986 I bet it will break you heart to see those 20 year old prices.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would like to see more about the article An SMG for every wallet. on page 62

Since that SWAT mag is from 1986 I bet it will break you heart to see those 20 year old prices.

Chris

It is the lightning link.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have that and it's great.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Black Rifle 2 is great IMO
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn... I missed that SWAT special. How about a .pdf copy for the rest of us, Yard Dog?

WRT the Duncan Long series, I have three in the AR series, copyright dates 1985, 89, and 92. Prior to Arfcom and widespread use of the Internet, these books were the greatest. I must have read through each one several times. By today's standards, they leave much to be desired, but in their day it was fantastic to have books devoted to the subject. The earliest book, The AR-15/M-16; A Practical Guide was illustrated mostly with inaccurate line drawings. Artwork notwithstanding, the books all offer a wealth of information, and will become classics.

Before that, my best source of info was the 10th edition of Small Arms of the World, 1973. This was way before the AW craze hit. I remember seeing a Colt AR-15 in a gun shop in those days for $200. WAAY too rich for my blood at the time!

The first time I became aware that there was a new trend emerging was when I got the July '81 issue of Guns & Ammo. They ran a long feature article entitled, "Tomorrow's State-of-the-Art Sporting Rifle." Shortly afterward, they came out with their special issue "Assault Rifles," which seemed to be an in-depth expansion on the original magazine article. This was followed by a whole slew of special issues from all publishers. I doubt that I have them all, but I did my best!

But back to the present... one of my favorite books is the one by Scott Duff, entitled The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide. I have the first one, but I believe there's a part 2 available, as well. IIRC, Fulton Armory has them. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The current AR specials by G&A are good additions to the library, as well.

Buy all the books you can now, including military manuals. You just never know when these sources are going to dry up.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  Useless as tits on a bullfrog
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a copy of the SWAT one right here, used to refer to it allot.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]
My copy is nicer than yours

Very nostalgic when thumbing thru my old gun magazines printed prior to 1989.

Back then, ARs were kind of bland.  Not a heck of a lot of configurations you can do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1  Useless as tits on a bullfrog

LMFAO.. WHAT?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Seeing the names involved in some of the stories, I'm not surprised you enjoy it so much.

I don't really have one as most AR15 publications now days are hacked up claims from a friend of a friend who knows this guy that had this neighbor who knew this guy.  

Big +1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top