Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:37:15 AM EDT
Hey guys!

If this has already been discussed, I appologize for the repeat? But here is my question.......

I want to biuld a light weight carbine for my coyote walking/calling rifle and need to know what barrel, upper would you recomend? I have a complete lower ready to go, and just looking for suggestions on the upper? If anyone has a upper like I'm looking for to part with, I'd be interested in it as well. Also.....if any of you have a carbine like I'm talking about, I'd really like to get a look at it!! Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:46:51 AM EDT
If you're looking for light weight, and great accuracy, you really need to take a look at the ABS carbon fiber barrels. The ABS barrels shave a significant ammount of weight off the upper, and combined with a light weight FF tube makes for an easy carry rifle.

I just built a rifle using one of the ABS barrels. I could not be more pleased.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:08:50 AM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:05:14 AM EDT
If you want to stick to a traditional barrel and have a really light weight barrel, go with a superlight. If you want something that is a little beefier, and not as sensitive to sustained fire and barrel whip, but still pretty light, go with a government profile M4.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:59:53 PM EDT
Thanks for the reponse guys! I really think I want to do a pecil barrel build. As far as the barrel whip goes........this upper will be a dedicated coyote calling/walking rifle and probably wont see any rapid fire use. Of course, I need something accurate enough for 200-300 yard shots on the yotes'.....so I guess something in the 1" @ 100 yrds would be sufficient? Need to be a flat top, leight and not too spendy.
I'd really like to keep the total weight of the rifle with scope and empty mag, at under 7 lbs. The scope I'll use weighs around 1 lb. That'll leave around 5-6 lbs for the rifle and rings. Prefer to keep it a slik barrel with F/F forend and either 16 or 20" barrel. I do handload, so can work up the loads I need. Also.......to shoot the 45-50grn bullets, what twist does everyone recommend?
I know there has got to be some people on here that yote' hunt with there AR's? Sure like to hear from them and get a look at the weapons and maybe the weight?

Thanks again guys!!!! I really appreciate the help and advise..........
Top Top