Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 11:26:05 AM EDT
As I recall, our company armory at Ft. Bragg was not air conditioned. These were the old barracks near Pope AFB- NONE of the buildings were. So I'm wondering how they kept our M16s from rusting in the North Carolina humidity. We had 2 50 cals but they only took them out once a year.

Every time we went to the field we cleaned them and stored them in the armory. So why didn't they rust? I don't recall any CLP on them when we picked them up. I see a lot of posts here about humidity in gun safes. Had to be up to 100% in the rainy season there. What do you think?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Possibly they had a least a dehumidifier.  Most of our arms rooms have those if no a/c.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That's possible. We're talking '73-'74. So long ago they could have had a Rockola blaring and I would have forgotten.

Place had bad vibes. I had been in the company about 2 months and was in the orderly room when a guy came running in yelling, "Gonzalez (the armorer) just shot himself!" He had used a .45 but must not have been serious. He left a trench down the side of his head like a divot from a 2 iron.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I was at Bragg about the same time.  No CLP; don't think it even existed yet.  We always put a layer of LSA on the rifles before turning them in.  Rust wasn't a problem in the arms room -- it sometimes was in the field.

I don't think any of the barracks had AC in those days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you have anyone working in that armory?  If the armorer isn't busy with repairs the only thing left to do is maintain them (PMCS) monthly.  Aside from climate control, dehumidifier, that is my best guess.  

I worked in a "cage" that was in the basement of the building.  Strong rains flooded the place once.  I'm talking 4 inches on the floor.  That put a hurtin on the weapons and the dehumidifier ran non stop for 7 days.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top