Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 7:24:35 PM EDT
Getting ready for MIAD need help

PIC
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be an allen head screw... You would use the appropriate size allen wrench to remove it...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
On my Bushmaster it doesn’t appear to have any screws in the small hole and the left side is completely closed, seems you would have to pull it out somehow
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
only one pin should come out of the trigger guard.  the other side has a half pin, and you just push it in a little.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
On my Bushmaster it doesn’t appear to have any screws in the small hole and the left side is completely closed, seems you would have to pull it out somehow

Is it like the actual picture that you posted the link to? The picture shows the magpul winter guard that uses a allen head screw...

A standard trigger guard has a spring loaded 'button' that you need to depress and then pull the guard downward to 'open' it...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it like the actual picture that you posted the link to? The picture shows the magpul winter guard that uses a allen head screw...

A standard trigger guard has a spring loaded 'button' that you need to depress and then pull the guard downward to 'open' it...

No I found that pic on google, I have a standard plastic guard, but what I had circled is what I need advice on being there’s only one hole opining, I also needed some advice on how I get the rear pin out as well, do I need some special tool?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes... I was talking about a standard trigger guard(never used a winter trigger guard).

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The front "pin" is spring loaded, just push on it with anything and the triger guard will swing down. For the rear pin you need a small punch, a hammer, and a vice. It should pop right out, and you don't need it anymore.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Make sure when you drive the back roll pin out that you support the ear of the receiver on a hard block with a hole in it for where the pin needs to fall out. Not doing so you will break the ear off your receiver and be pissed at yourself.

Will someone put this in stupid form for me, I didn’t understand a thing he just said and noone has answered my question, how do I remove the front pin with only one opening.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Will someone put this in stupid form for me, I didn’t understand a thing he just said and noone has answered my question, how do I remove the front pin with only one opening.

ETA: Gheese, are you sure you can handle the job? Removing the trigger guard should only be attempted by a highly skilled professional...

Quoted:

Quoted:

Using an object that will fit into the hole, push inward to collapse the spring loaded detent (referred to as the "button" in my other post)... While pressing the detent (or button) inward pull the trigger guard downward to swing it open so the trigger is now totally exposed...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
You don't remove the front pin at all. It's not a pin like you think it is, it's more like a spring loaded button. Take a regular ballpoint pen and push in on the "button". at the same time pull down on the trigger guard. It will swing down and you'll be able to get a better look at how it's constructed. Get that far and come back here for the next step.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
!!WAIT!!!

!!MAKE SURE THE FIREARM IS UNLOADED BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!

Sorry, but ya never know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
!!WAIT!!!

!!MAKE SURE THE FIREARM IS UNLOADED BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!

Sorry, but ya never know.

+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Would a very small allan wrench take out the roll pin, do I really need a vice and hammer in doing this? Or can it just be manually pushed out wile resting the stock on one leg and the barrel on the other?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you get the first part figured out?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#16]
The front  spring loaded pin / button is designed to be opened by pushing the detent on it with the nose of a 5.56 rd. or simular object and swung down for heavily gloved use. The rear roll pin  is simply pushed out by a properly sized flat punch to remove it alltogether for replacment. At least that is all it took on my BM & RRA. If your roll pin is super tight you may have to drive it out as described in a previous post on this subject. Good Luck and be careful not to loose the roll pin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok-
Let me try here.
1) Make sure the weapon is unloaded
2) Is step 1 done? double check
3) The one sided pin at the front of the trigger guard thingy is spring loaded. If you push it in the trigger guard thingy should swing down to the rear.
4) There is a roll pin at the rear of the trigger guard thingy. It needs to be driven completely out with the correct size punch. Be damned sure to put the receiver ear against something solid . Failure to do so WILL break your receiver ear off. You will be pissed! (Thanks for bringing up bad memories David! )
4a) For instance, if you are driving the pin left- you need to support the left ear. Go SLOW with this.
5) When you reinstall the pin- you need to support the ear as well.
5a) For instance, if you are driving the pin back in to the left, the left ear NEEDS to be supported. Go SLOW with this too.Failure to do so WILL break your receiver ear off. You will be pissed! (Thanks for bringing up bad memories David! )

Clear as mud? Let me know if you need further.................. Milldude
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#18]
FOOTYUMPIRE?
ETA: Just kidding  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe you should take it some where someon knows what there doing.

From your posts I do not think you are up to this level of maintance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]

stupid form
cut it out with a dremel
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I got $5 here that says he breaks the rear tab.  Any takers?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I got $5 here that says he breaks the rear tab.  Any takers?

I dont think he could get to that point...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Eh, if it's a new rifle he probably won't. I just swapped one out on a new RRA and it slid out no problem unsupported. I pressed the new one in though, no hammering there.

I just hope he doesn't have the rifle wedged between his feet with the muzzle in his ear for leverage.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Hylton... the front "pin" is not a pin at all.  It is as others have told you, a spring loaded button.

The trigger guard of the AR-15/M16 is designed to be operated with that universal M16 tool that every grunt has, a 5.56 bullet tip.  If you don't have one of those, you don't need to fix your rifle.  That tool was used for adjusting sights, too, on the old A1.

Anyway, the trigger guard is made to swing down, after pushing in the front BUTTON with a bullet tip, so that the trigger may be manipulated in cold weather, with thick glove or mitten.

If you will look at the rear pin, the trigger guard is held on each side by a thin aluminum tab, about 1mm thick.  If you were to hammer with a punch on one end of the pin, it would put pressure on the opposite tab and break it off.  This WILL happen if you don't support that other tab.

(BTW, toss out that PLASTIC trigger guard   and buy a real one made from aluminum.)

When you reinstall the pin and new trigger guard, here is one method...

The ViseGrip's jaws are taped with electrical tape to prevent scratching.  The handles are adjusted so that with each squeeze, the handles just barely close, moving the pin only about 1/16" with each squeeze.  This puts the handles in the position that gives the most mechanical advantage and most control.  A little grease in the hole helps, too.

Then just tap home the final bit with the hammer and a punch or nail set, supporting the other side on a hard surface, such as the "anvil" surface of a bench vise.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude, whats your 20 in WV? Im just across the line in northwestern VA (Winchester) and would be happy to help you.

The front pin is just a "Nub" that you push in and the trigger guard folds back along the grip. You can use 5.56mm bullet tip to do this, Its designed that way so that the rifle can be fired with heavy winter mittens. the rear pin is a roll pin and its best to have the correct size Roll pin punch.... Udog
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#26]
If this all seems too big a headache, note that you don't HAVE to use the MIAD's integral trigger guard. If you want to, great. If you don't want to remove your current trigger guard (not that it's a big deal), just use one of the frontstraps, sans TG, that comes with the MIAD.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:52:33 AM EDT
[#27]
So far this has been on of the funniest threads I have ever read. Everyone has given  perfect instructions on how this is to be done. And know one has said "DO A SEARCH". Nice to see everybody has lightened up a little.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#28]
PS-
If you still haven't figured it out-DO A SEARCH!!! sorry, I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So far this has been on of the funniest threads I have ever read. Everyone has given  perfect instructions on how this is to be done. And know one has said "DO A SEARCH". Nice to see everybody has lightened up a little.

Didnt want to suggest that,  having a hard enough time trying to explain the trigger guard thing let alone having to explain how to do a search ...

J/K Hylton...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I just push in the front pin with the tip of a bullet, and knocked the rear roll pin out with a 3/32 allen wrench. a few light but sharp taps and it came right out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top