Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 12:08:18 PM EDT
alright, this may be the dumbest question of the day, but i am the biggest dumbass on the boards, so go figure..........anyway, i'm reading about a rock river arms A4 20 inch configuration upper.  it says it's chambered in .223 Wylde.  what the hell is that?  thank you for any info you can give me.

jake
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 24" varmint AR rifle with 223 wylde chamber. Which I believe is a chamber which is tighter than the standard NATO chamber. This handles regular .223 and 5.56 NATO no problem. But the tighter  chamber is more condusive to accuracy  and probably wouldn't be first choice for a combat weapondue to the tighter tolerances.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a chamber dimension, not a cartridge. It bridges the gap, so to speak, between a .223 and a 5.56 chamber. More tolerant than the former, more accurate than the latter.

See here.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
guys-you kick ass.  i appreciate it very much.  on another note, does anyone know if i can shoot 5.56 through a mini 14 (indeed it does just say .223 rem)?  or could that be disasterous.  i know my grandpa had fired some through his, but i would seriously bet he wouldn't have known that there was a tolerance issue if there is one.  he's dead now, so it does little good to talk to him.  again, i'd appreciate any info i got on this.  thanks

jake

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
If I read the Ammo Oracle properly, I wouldn't shoot 5.56 through a rifle stamped for .223.  IIRC the problem has more to do with chamber pressures than ammo dimensions.  The 5.56 creates higher chamber pressures than .223 and the rifle may not be able to handle it (Kaboom).  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I read the Ammo Oracle properly, I wouldn't shoot 5.56 through a rifle stamped for .223.  IIRC the problem has more to do with chamber pressures than ammo dimensions.  The 5.56 creates higher chamber pressures than .223 and the rifle may not be able to handle it (Kaboom).  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

But it's just a Mini-14.................

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But it's just a Mini-14.................

WIZZO

yeah, it's my dad's.  i know my rra will handle it......

jake
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top