Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 7:04:13 AM EDT
I ordered a RRA Varmint A4 last night. I had been eyeing the 24" barrel for a LONG time. But I let the dealer at my gun shop talk me into getting a 20" barrel. Now I am having second thoughts.
My question to you all is should I call him back and have him change the order? I put the deposit down last night so I don't think he's ordered it yet, but I'll need to act quickly.
The 20" barrel is 1:8 twist only whereas the 24" barrel (1:8 also)  has a 1:12 option. I want to be able to shoot frangible loads at groundhogs as well as regular loads up to 60 grain or so, nothing real heavy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
for a pure bench gun i like the 24" but if its gonna be your only ar then the 20 will probably make more sense.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
That was fast thanks. I already have the Government Model so this is my second AR. What do you think about the twist rate options. 1:8 or 1:12.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
1:8 twist will let you shoot a wide variety of bullet weights, so my vote is for that. 20" or 24" will do fine, but it doesn't really seem the benefit of extra velocity from the 24" is worth the extra barrel length
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO  If you allready have a 1:9 twist you might as well go with the 24" in 1:12.  This way you can shot lighter bullets and  still have the govt to shot the heavier.  Best of luck with your choice.  As they always say go with your first instinct.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top