Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 12:36:14 PM EDT
Ok I've been thinkin about buying a vise to put my gun in to get my iron sights almost perfect, so I'd know if perfectly still when I fire.

Is this necessary? Or would it be better to just save the money and use that to buy bullets or other stuff and just sight it in as good as you can get it from just holding it?

Does anyone else use a vise or do most just try to keep their body steady?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont need a vise.  Shoot on the ground you will be stable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1

Sling + prone = good groups.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I thought I remembered reading on here that using the sling to steady yourself while shooting would pull you bullet to the direction your were pulling the sling to.

Is this true?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Well heres the thing.  You can put your rifle in a vise and you will be able to get you sights on target but what then?  Unless you can hold the rifle as still as a vise/rest when not using one it's not really gonna help you.  Yes your sights will be dead on but your shooting won't be.  I say bench rest it  on a bag or prone shoot it with a sling.  That should get you close enuff.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I thought I remembered reading on here that using the sling to steady yourself while shooting would pull you bullet to the direction your were pulling the sling to.

Is this true?

If it is true for you then you're not using the sling correctly.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on what they said

but if you really want to get my iron sights almost perfect you should try a rifle rest not a wise

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, you're never going to be shooting from a vice so theres not much point in achieving such a perfect zero.  Your only gonna shoot as good as your skill. The military zeros weapons wearing all our crap, off a sandbag, rushed by naggy safety officer, usually in less then ideal weather conditions and still nail that 300m target. My suggestion is set up, get your zero, then practice as much as possible until you know your skill level inside and out. I'm more impressed by someone who can use a little dope and nail that sweet long range shot then with someones uber tight 100m shot group. just my 0.02$
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the fast responses. I will save the money and put it towards something else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
If you lock down the rifle and prevent it from recoilling,you won't have a proper zero anyway, except from a vise.When you shoot without it,the rifle will recoil naturally,and your actual point of impact will be different.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top