Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 4:11:54 PM EDT
Wooooo Hoooooo!  Ok I just picked up my new LE6920 today and all I can say is wow.  I traded in my Colt Competition HBAR with LE6520 upper for this baby and I love it.  Don't mind the extra barrel weight and all I was really interested in was the A3 upper, but I really like it.  I've got a few questions though...

First, the gas tube was slightly off-center in the receiver, requiring the use of the forward assist every time you ride the bolt home.  This doesn't mean much to me since I never do this, and always use the bolt release.  However I was worried that it would eventually wear out one side of the gas tube or the carrier key, so I did a little smithing and bent it back in place.  It's straight now and easily closes.  Has anyone else experienced this problem before?  

Second, the handguards seem slightly looser than the carbine handguards on the LE6520 upper I had.  Is this usually the case?  It doesn't bother me and I can live with it.  The front handguard retainer rotates some and I believe that is whats causing the movement.  Is there a quick fix for this?  

Thanks for any help and I can't wait to get some more range time on the new rifle.  Only had time to put 200rnds through it today...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a Colt to me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Cosmetics are for safe queens...function is for shooters.  This Colt's a pure shooter, and it functioned flawlessly for 200rnds with the gas tube the way it was.  Please keep responses limited to answering the questions at hand.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice buy!!!

Never had any of those problems with my LE6920.........
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have read some 'fixes' for the handguard play, but cannot remember exactly what the process was

I do recall it being common sense stuff though. Using something to shim them.

I have a couple of Colt 6920's and they have a bit of play, but not enough to bother me

Nothing quite like scoring a brand new COLT LE6920.

Congratulations cms81586!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Cosmetics are for safe queens...function is for shooters.  This Colt's a pure shooter, and it functioned flawlessly for 200rnds with the gas tube the way it was.  Please keep responses limited to answering the questions at hand.

I don't know if that was directed to me, but i just meant there is nothing to be worried about, so i didn't answer your questions.  It's a Colt.  Everything is okay...

you seem to be more bothered by the problems you've pointed out than me.  you haven't come up with a "legitimate" problem yet... that's the only way I know to address your questions...

If it was my rifle my topic would have went more like this:

Hey, I got a Colt today!  Here's pics! (insert pic here)

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd post pics but its not different from any other plain jane 6920.  Now that I think of it the handguard play isn't much at all.  I'm gonna get a EOTech with accucam and then upgrade to a Trijicon TA-01NSN this summer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if that was directed to me, but i just meant there is nothing to be worried about, so i didn't answer your questions.  It's a Colt.  Everything is okay...

you seem to be more bothered by the problems you've pointed out than me.  you haven't come up with a "legitimate" problem yet... that's the only way I know to address your questions...

Sorry about that...I thought you were just a Colt hater....  Didn't mean to go off but I hate it when people shit on other peoples new purchases....Sorry again!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats.

I love my 6920. Don't worry about the handguards. Mine are the same way. But then again, so are my Bushmaster's.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry about that...I thought you were just a Colt hater....  Didn't mean to go off but I hate it when people shit on other peoples new purchases....Sorry again!

I do hate Colt!  But their rifles are good to go!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
A gas tube that is out of alignment is not cosmetic, and bending it may or may not solve the issue when viewed long term.  Take a look at where the gastube contacts the barrel nut and see if its contacting one side of the teeth.  Yes, you can have problems with this.

Like you've already said, the rest is cosmetic and only an imbecile rides the charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Stick, the way it sounds to me is the gas tube was bent a little.  I don't think Colt would have let an upper with a gas tube hole drilled off center get put together and assembled into a rifle.

Unless they were too busy paying attention to stamping MP on the barrel...

j/k
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Stick, the way it sounds to me is the gas tube was bent a little.  I don't think Colt would have let an upper with a gas tube hole drilled off center get put together and assembled into a rifle.

If the tooth contacting the gas tube, it is pushing the tube over to one side.  This is very common, though not usually with Colt.  Its an assembly error, and while bending it may hel psome, it doesn't change the problem.

Colt doesn't make their own receivers, so we know they didn't drill it off center.....  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Stick,

It's not being pushed by the teeth on the barrel nut.  It is in nice and straight.  All I can figure is that it was slightly bent before being installed.  Either way, it functioned with it bent before I noticed it.  I'll keep an eye on it but I don't think it will be a problem.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Stick,

It's not being pushed by the teeth on the barrel nut.  It is in nice and straight.  All I can figure is that it was slightly bent before being installed.  Either way, it functioned with it bent before I noticed it.  I'll keep an eye on it but I don't think it will be a problem.  Thanks guys!

That's what I got out of it.  Thanks for confirming.  I've seen a couple M16's that somehow the gas tube got bent a little like this.  As long as your not bending it more than a couple of degrees to get it to it's original position, there is no need to replace the tube... and then you prolly don't have to replace it anyway, regardless of how far you have to bend it...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top