Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 11:45:41 AM EDT
Ok I know I'm being a pain in the @$$, I thought I knew alot but now I realize I dont know enough to know any better.   What about barrels with all the choices its a buyers market I used to think it had to be 1-9 twist as the that was the best all around now after reading here it seems 1-7 is the way to go.  I still at least think it should be chrome lined ( I hope ) so what was the deal of the barrels shooting out prematurely with 55 grain bullets being over stabilized.  Like I said before I have been out of the loop awhile.  I know I'm looking at a mid barrel on at least one M4 a bonafide M4 and a 19" standard?  Anyone know about these  www.angusarms.com  Mark 12 SPR?  I was going to build a 308 based AR bit now I'm leaning on going back to the tried and true M14-M1A SOCOM from Fulton Armory unless its not worth it. Love the rails.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Read the following thread.  These are good barrels and seem to be what you are looking for.

Thread
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok I know I'm being a pain in the @$$, I thought I knew alot but now I realize I dont know enough to know any better.   What about barrels with all the choices its a buyers market I used to think it had to be 1-9 twist as the that was the best all around now after reading here it seems 1-7 is the way to go.  I still at least think it should be chrome lined ( I hope ) so what was the deal of the barrels shooting out prematurely with 55 grain bullets being over stabilized.  Like I said before I have been out of the loop awhile.  I know I'm looking at a mid barrel on at least one M4 a bonafide M4 and a 19" standard?  Anyone know about these  www.angusarms.com  Mark 12 SPR?  I was going to build a 308 based AR bit now I'm leaning on going back to the tried and true M14-M1A SOCOM from Fulton Armory unless its not worth it. Love the rails.....

The 1in 7 twist barrel was adopted by the military for one reason only; to stabilize the issue tracer round which is much longer than the ball bullet.  So unless you're planning to shoot issue tracer, or long range match ammo with bullets significantly heavier and longer, than issue ball, I really can't see any reason to have a 1 in 7 barrel.

Though it's only a hunch, my feeling is that at least half the guys who insist on a 1 in 7 just have to have one "'cause that's what the military uses so it must be best". But hey, it's their money, and so as long as there's a market, the dealers will sell 'em.  

I still think that for 90+% of us civies, 1 and 9 is best overall, but it's still a free country; so get whatever you like, for whatever reason you choose to

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to add to the confusion,  why not just go with a 1x8 in ss.  The best of both worlds..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
1/7 will also stabilze heavier grain ammo for 600-1000 yards ranges.  However, most of us won't ever use our AR for that kind of shooting.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]
My High Power Service Rifle with a Kreiger Stainless tube by Compass Lake has a 1/7.75 rate of twist specificaly to stablize the 77 SMK's and whatever out to 600 yards. Not a 1/7, and this is made to get the BEST of the 77's out to 600 yards, so the 1/7 is a "want" and not a "need."

But in the end we should all just "Buy what you want and shoot what you have."

Bill

edited to add: I think the 1/9 is the best for everything except the tracers and I have no plans to shoot those. IMHO the 1/9 is the best.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The reason I'm asking is I'm plannoing on completely going to Blackhills 77 grain but the occsional 55 grain and surplus 62 grain.  Actually which is the best?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Like I pointed out in the above post the Keriger Barrel is a 1/7.75 which is virtualy a 1/8 made especially for the 77's and 80's. A 1/9 is is a perfect all round rate especially when shooting the 55's. I remember when the A2's came out (yes I am that old) and the guys shooting 3 gun with us would see the light varmit rounds turn into a grey puff ball about 40 yards out as the 1/7 spun the thin bullit in to lead vapor.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Bill now I dont feel so old either I remember them comming out also hell my first AR was a pencil barrel with no FA and it was Colt a pre A2 and A1 I bought it from some guy who was upgrading to the A1. If I remember right I thought it was a 1-14 twist?  I dont think it was 1-12.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If we are lucky we all get to be old, the flip side sucks.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#10]
those barrels are all good but what I'm looking for is mid length 16", 18" or 20" full length with a full Heavy Barrel profile I dont even want it tapered for a grenade launcher that I wont mount on it.  I'm also leaning towards the 1-9 twist for all the ammo I can throw through it. I also learned or I should say noticed something else whats the M4 feedramp?  And what is the M4 feedramp on the reciever?  Now I'm thinking my Bushy doesnt even have those cuts???
Thanks,
Mike
bushy doesnt even have those thing?
Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I really don't shoot anything over 62 gr so 1x9 works fine , but I will prob
get a 1x7 upper or barrel sometime just in case

Chrome lining is for corrosion resistance and makes cleaning easier.

M4 feed ramps in a Semi carbine are really overkill unless you run a dirty gun for extended periods.

A Midlength cycles more gently than a Car length ; I'm sure somebody could make you a
Hbar Midlength.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I have M4 feed ramps installed in my brain, since it is very dirty.

If you are going to shoot the heavy Black Hills stuff the majority of the time, go with the 1:8 in my humble opinion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top