Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/28/2005 1:34:36 PM EDT
I live in MI, here we can get CCW permits, but you can only carry something that is officially registered as a "pistol". So, heres my idea, buy a AR pistol so it comes from the manufacturer as a pistol, register it, and then put a 14.5 inch barrel on it. As I understand it, if the overall length is less than 28'' (maybe 29'', I have to check on that), and there is no stock on it, then it still qualifies as a pistol legally. So at this point I can carry it cocked and locked in the cab of my truck and not be breaking any laws (I'm pretty sure about all of the above, but if you've got any additional info, feel free to correct me)

Now the $1,000,000 question, if I affix a cheek pad to the buffer tube so that I can put the buffer to my shoulder and get a good cheek weld on the padding, have I just created an SBR by adding a stock to my pistol? Or does that not qualify as a stock legally? Any legal gurus, especially those familiar with MI laws, could really help me out by sharing their knowledge of what does and doesn't qualify as a stock according to the ATF (or whatever other Gov't agency that I might offend with my little project)

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:39:45 PM EDT
the best person to talk to is the batf and check with your local laws
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:44:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
the best person to talk to is the batf and check with your local laws

My guess is that talk of "using" the buffer tube as a stock by putting a cheek pad on it is probably not something the BATFE would encourage (or like).

But I am not sure about the actual legality - to me it's always been an odd legal question, since AR pistols have that buffer tube extension, which obviously CAN be used to support the "pistol" against the shoulder (especially a long buffer tube). Personally, I am amazed that AR pistols with full length buffer tubes are not considered SBR's.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:19:58 PM EDT
UHHGG, I was hoping not to have to talk to the BATF, but if thats what it comes down to I guess i'll have to do it. What would be the best way to go about doing that, do they have regional offices a la FBI, or do I need to contact them all the way in DC? Would I be taken more seriously if I snail mailed or E-mailed?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:23:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PanzerMK7:
UHHGG, I was hoping not to have to talk to the BATF, but if thats what it comes down to I guess i'll have to do it. What would be the best way to go about doing that, do they have regional offices a la FBI, or do I need to contact them all the way in DC? Would I be taken more seriously if I snail mailed or E-mailed?

ATF wont bite... Snail mail the Tech branch... They wont take or answer your questions on the phone.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:26:24 PM EDT
Tech branch? I have no idea what you're talking about here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 2:52:41 PM EDT by gmtmaster]

Tech branch? I have no idea what you're talking about here.

They have a technology branch that can answer questions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 2:54:58 PM EDT by PanzerMK7]
Why do you specifically say not scan it and post it, not that I was planning on doing it anyways, just curious why you felt compelled to TELL me not to do it. Will do on the call and send thing though, thanks.

Oh I see you edited your post, thanks for making me look crazy. I appreciate that too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:55:14 PM EDT
IF you have a question on the legality of a firearm, under Federal Law, contact either the Legal or Technical Branch of the BATFE, IN WRITING. Get an answer IN WRITING on an official letterhead.

Phone calls and or verbal answers will NOT hold up in court.

Lonny
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:56:32 PM EDT
Also contact your state attorney general, he can square you away on state/local laws.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 5:49:17 PM EDT by gmtmaster]

Why do you specifically say not scan it and post it, not that I was planning on doing it anyways, just curious why you felt compelled to TELL me not to do it. Will do on the call and send thing though, thanks.

Oh I see you edited your post, thanks for making me look crazy. I appreciate that too.

There are too many people stirring up the pot, I can cite several examples... But ...Get your answer, make your gun and be done with it...
Top Top