Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 9:54:13 AM EDT
Hello All,

I am new to the forum, but not knew to the world of the AR-15/M-16.  I have been reading here for the past couple of days and I really like the group of knowledgable people whose information I have read.

My first question is.....
Since the sunset of the AWB, manufacturers like Bushmaster have once again continued manufacturing complete rifles in what seems to be a Pre-ban configuration(includind all of the "bad" features).  Are these rifles also considered to be a Post-ban weapon since they were manufactured with lowers made during or after the ban?

Secondly.....If these rifles do qualify as Post-ban, is the owner of a true Post-ban configured rifle (no bayo. lug or flash suppressor) able to equip their rifle with the Pre-ban features now that the ban is over.

I know these laws are confusing and childish, but by GOD, I want to stay straight in the eyes of the law when it comes to this stuff.

Thank you for any insight that you may have and for letting me be a part of such a cool establishment.

deathfromafar
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Local laws can trump the rest. Where do you live? What state?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are these rifles also considered to be a Post-ban weapon since they were manufactured with lowers made during or after the ban?

Yes if you live in a Ban state (like NY, NJ or CT)

Secondly.....If these rifles do qualify as Post-ban, is the owner of a true Post-ban configured rifle (no bayo. lug or flash suppressor) able to equip their rifle with the Pre-ban features now that the ban is over.

Only if they live in a state w/o a AWB.

What state do you live in?  Then we could tell you if a ban applies to you or not.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#3]
MISSISSIPPI, USA.

I wouldn't think that there would be a state AWB here(since we are the only state of in the union still able to keep the Confederate flag as part of our state flag), but then again, you never know.

Thanks,
dfa
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Just so we don't all get confused, it is best to use the term PREBAN for a rifle made before 1994, POSTBAN for a rifle made after 1994 with many of the cool features removed, and NOBAN for rifles made after september of 2004 after the ban sunseted.   PREBANS and POSTBANS are legal everywhere (except states like california and areas with the same type of laws.)  NOBANS are only legal in states that have no ban of their own, and therefor, preban and postban mean nothing because there is no ban. I hope I wasn't too confusing...

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
MISSISSIPPI, USA.

You have no problems with adding flash supressors, telestocks, or bayonet lugs to any rifle.

Just keep the barrel 16" or longer or pay the $200 NFA tax if you want to go shorter.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the insight CC.

So if a state that does not have an AWB, can an owner of a Postban AR leagally dress their weapon in Preban (Noban) configuration?

dfa

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So if a state that does not have an AWB, can an owner of a Postban AR leagally dress their weapon in Preban (Noban) configuration?

I already addresses that - see previous post.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you Forest (and others) for the insight.  Nice talking with you.

Happy shooting!

dfa
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top