Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
For my AR pistol build I got a Armalite fiberglass FF tube off the EE. I've made this 41 lead x 14 bite Turks Head to cover the FF tube. I've used  black and tan paracord. I still have some tightening to do before it's done though. More pics once the pistol is all done.

Gene

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1127179/FFTUBE-5.jpg

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1127179/FFTUBE-6.jpg

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1127179/FFTUBE-2.jpg

Damn! Somebody was definitely bored. Incredible what a couple of spools of 550 cord and a six pack of beer can accomplish.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL  only about 100 feet of 550 cord. (and several Heinekins)..
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tagaroo

I got a 100 feet of O/D cord in transit. I plan the wrap my CQD vertical grip like K_SNIPER

i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/K_Sniper/CQDWrap.jpg

The grip looks as if someone broke a Strider knife and welded it to the rifle to make a grip; killer.

It looks awesome!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tagaroo

I got a 100 feet of O/D cord in transit. I plan the wrap my CQD vertical grip like K_SNIPER NickDrak   (Fixed it!)

The grip looks as if someone broke a Strider knife and welded it to the rifle to make a grip; killer.

It looks awesome!

Thanks, I just sold it along with the LaRue BattleLight though in favor of a Surefire M910 with a LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
tagaroo

I got a 100 feet of O/D cord in transit. I plan the wrap my CQD vertical grip like K_SNIPER

Now that is sweet lookin'.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I lost the mounts for my M203 so I used paracord. Works great!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Here ya go. Everything ya need to know on how to weave cord.

Paracord
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here ya go. Everything ya need to know on how to weave cord.

Paracord

Have you ever used paracord to make any of those things?

Gene
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I made a paracord sling

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Lootie?  Is that you?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lootie?  Is that you?

Not that I'm aware of.  Never been called "lootie"..

Gene
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#14]
GENESMITH....  are you still on a sweeper?

If you'all look at his sig, you'll get an idea of the motivation and history of what this is all about.

Sailors have always spent port-time and off-watch time doing this sort of thing.  No one depends upon rope in their day-to-day as much as sailors.  Many of the knots and wraps were to tie up loose ends or to increase the grip on something when wet.  It's as old as time.  It grew into a casual competition to see who could do the most ornate and still have utility.

I grew up in a family that sailed recreationally (My dad's in his 70's and STILL sails out of sight of land without GPS, he's an old Viking stud, lol).  He and my mom would spend rainy days doing just this sort of thing.  Monkey fisting line ends, wrapping tillers or winch handles, splicing docklines and anchor rodes.  They were a legend in a marina full of stock brokers and dentists, lol.

While I do agree that adding a bunch of para to your AR can be a mistake if not well thought out, Your work is VERY cool, Gene.  

Regards
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I made a paracord sling

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/RyanJR/IMG_2439.jpg

Beautiful rifles! I demand details for the one in the middle!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I made a paracord sling

Beautiful rifles! I demand details for the one in the middle!!

Just my cheapo SPR clone
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
GENESMITH....  are you still on a sweeper?

If you'all look at his sig, you'll get an idea of the motivation and history of what this is all about.

Sailors have always spent port-time and off-watch time doing this sort of thing.  No one depends upon rope in their day-to-day as much as sailors.  Many of the knots and wraps were to tie up loose ends or to increase the grip on something when wet.  It's as old as time.  It grew into a casual competition to see who could do the most ornate and still have utility.

I grew up in a family that sailed recreationally (My dad's in his 70's and STILL sails out of sight of land without GPS, he's an old Viking stud, lol).  He and my mom would spend rainy days doing just this sort of thing.  Monkey fisting line ends, wrapping tillers or winch handles, splicing docklines and anchor rodes.  They were a legend in a marina full of stock brokers and dentists, lol.

While I do agree that adding a bunch of para to your AR can be a mistake if not well thought out, Your work is VERY cool, Gene.  

Regards

Well thank you. To answer your question, no. I am no longer on a minesweeper. I was stationed on the USS CARDINAL MHC-60 from 2000-2002 in Bahrain (which is where she is home ported/forward deployed). I'm still in the Navy, but back on shore duty on the beatiful island of GUAM

Nice to hear about your parents being into knotting, did you get into it at all?

I have always been interested in tying knots, just never knew what it was that I was doing. In June of 2000 I found a copy of “ASHLEY BOOK OF KNOTS” (considered by most to be the “knotting bible”). It wasn’t long after, that I began to decorate my ship, my house, my tools, and anything else that I thought needed to be covered/decorated with rope/line. This was my favorite hobby till I found AR’s.

I purchased my first AR about a year ago, and found this website shortly after that. Since then, I built my first AR (pistol) and now I’m building a rifle. I saw this thread about “What kind of neat things …. with  para-cord”, so I figured I could rig up something really neat. Now that I’m almost done decorating that FF tube, I don’t have any place to put it because I’ve decided to use an aluminum ff tube (the evil black pistol) and have gone with a railed hand guard for my new rifle build. So now I have to build another one just for the decorated ff tube lol. It just never ends.  

Thanks again for the kind words,

Gene

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I made a paracord sling

Do you have a link showing how to make that knot?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I made a paracord sling

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Paracord rocks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Never thought I'd see reference to the Ashley Book of Knots on an AR forum!

I have the book, but I don't have the patience for the majority of what it shows.  Kinda makes me wish I could have lived in that golden age, though.

Reading the ABOK is kinda sad.  Seeing how much we've lost in terms of practical self-sufficiency, the abilty to use rope and line for so many simple things.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Never thought I'd see reference to the Ashley Book of Knots on an AR forum!

I have the book, but I don't have the patience for the majority of what it shows.  Kinda makes me wish I could have lived in that golden age, though.

Reading the ABOK is kinda sad.  Seeing how much we've lost in terms of practical self-sufficiency, the abilty to use rope and line for so many simple things.....

Me too!!

+1

Gene
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Holy Macrame, Batman!!!

Quoted:
For my AR pistol build I got a Armalite fiberglass FF tube off the EE. I've made this 41 lead x 14 bite Turks Head to cover the FF tube. I've used  black and tan paracord. I still have some tightening to do before it's done though. More pics once the pistol is all done.

Gene

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1127179/FFTUBE-5.jpg

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1127179/FFTUBE-6.jpg

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1127179/FFTUBE-2.jpg

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What kind of neat things can I rig up with paracord on my AR-15?  I know about the paracord magpul's but what else can I do with paracord?
Any type of cool custom sling, grips, etc. that I could make with paracord?

This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I made a paracord sling

I did it myself out sheer boredum
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I made a paracord sling

I did it myself out sheer boredum

But what type of knot did you use?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top