Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 7:47:04 AM EDT
i need to remove the heatsheild from my handgaurd. Is there any special tricks or tools to use to get it off easily and without daminging the handgaurd.

Thanks for your advice,
Doug
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#1]
if im not mistaken the heatshields have holes through them which plastic pegs run through and the tips are melted to hold the heatshields in place.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Most heat sheilds are just held in place with their tabs and they will pull out easily.  Some older/specialty handguards will be more problematic.  For example the triangular M16A1 handguards, M4 double sheilded handguards, and the M33 Fobus handguards.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The ones on an RRA mid-length are held in place by notches on the posts on the handguard.  They use the spring action of the shield to hold them in place.  NBFD to just just gently pinch them and lift out (if they ar an RRA).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
well i have a surefire m500ab and i want to install a GG&G UFIR on the bottom half of the handgaurd at the 6 o'colck pos. Any comments or suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes don't use a UFIR to support a VFG.  Sell the 500 and get a rail system (even the YHM) and a M900 series light if you want to use a VFG.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#6]
im not putting a vert grip. im using the rail to mount a L72 laser module in a universal housing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Does the rifle have a bayonet lug by any chance?

Mounting a laser (or any aiming device) to a non-free float handguard isn't the best and using a UFIR on a plastic rail is even worse.

There is a rail moun that attaches using the bayone lug, or you could use one of the rails that attach to the front sight base.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
cant fit a FSB mount cause of the M500 and no bayo lug
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#9]
whats the difference if i would mount the laser to the UFIR or to a regular railed handgaurd such as a ris, or M73? not all forends are FF right? Wouldnt it be the same thing?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top