Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:17:31 AM EDT
Hi,  I've been reading several past posts and am impressed with the skilles and knowledge you guy's have regarding the AR15.
I have a Mini 14 and have had a lot of fun with it for many years, but I've really got the bug to try an AR15 or AK47 and that's my problem.  I don't know enough about either to make a choice that I wont be sorry for later.  Everyone I've talked to tell me tthat  Bushmaster makes a great gun but I don't know which one.  That's where I would apprecaiate your help.  I don't know the right questions to ask.
I wont a gun I can use effectively at short, med and long range.  On our range I can to out to 400 yrds. which is fun.  I like the folding butt although I have never used one.  I don't like the ultra light carbon models even though I'll only be getting a 223.
I wonder about the handle on top and how that would interfere with mounting a scope.  A scope with an integrated red dot would be really something.  I didn't know there was such an animal till I read about one on this forum.
Anyway, any help you might offer in helping me make a decision would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi, BOG!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey and welcome to the board!

I am no expert by any means but I can cover a couple of your questions.

First.......the AR is way more modular than the AK and there are TONS of upgrades/changes you can do to it. The AK will be less expensive. There will be people chiming in who have strong opinions on which to get but I like both.....but I do like the AR more. But that's my opinion.

As far as the carry handle goes.....that's easy. Get an A3 flattop. That may make no sense to you now but give it a month or so of reading these boards and you'll understand everything.

Also, there are lots of options for optics as well. Too many for me to go into here.

My main point of advice is to read these boards and do your research before buying anything!! A litle time reading here will help you to make a decision you won't regret!!

And once again, welcome!!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your avice guy's.  After doing some more reschearch I think the A3 or 4 will do exactly what I wont.  The A3 or 4 flatop can faciliate a handle if I want one.  It looks like a great rifle.
Thanks again,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If you see a scope in your future the flatop with a add on carry handle  is the way to go. Most everyone will wind up with a shorter upper (16") as the longer 20" are kind of heavy and just too long for general use. The 20" is a fine rifle but lends itself best to competition and serious target work. Beeing a modular gun you will find yourself want multiple uppers first and then a couple of extra lowers and so on. Hence the term "BRD"  (Black rifle disease) In the long run you don't own the AR,it ends up owning you .
Yes the bushmasters are a good solid rifle .
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I can relate to your question as i to just a few months ago was a mini 14 owner hunging for a new AR or something, well i found , at least for me, the answer to the big question    Bushmaster A3 20" with full stock and i havent been happer.  Love the gun shoots great and fun to shoot.  The ARs are in a way alot like the mini 14s  so many things to add or change to make them to your own likeing.  That was my choice now all you got to do is choose.  I found out also that after being a mini 14 owner for yrs the accuracy of the AR is so much better i wish i had made the jump many yrs ago.  I agree with longhorn   get the A3 if you choose the AR that way you have the iron sights as well as being able to quickly take the carrie handle off and mount a scope or other optic. In my book the only way to go if you want veritallity. good luck and welcome.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello JPK.

I don't have much to add to what's been, but as far as the AR vs AK, I think you'll be happier with AR for long range work. Do some reading on the boards to find out what kind of configuration will best suit your needs. As already stated, you'll want an A3 flattop if you plan to add a scope. 16" is a good general-purpose barrel length.

I was also a mini-14 user until I clicked on the "AR15" tab of this site a year and a half ago--I know own three different ARs (all of which built myself thanks to the info on this site).

Welcome the board.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top