Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:21:55 AM EDT
I am trying to come up with ideas for storing an AR in my vehicle (Tahoe).  I am looking for it to be fairly accessible, yet secure.  I was looking in a police cruiser in the parking lot the other day and it had some fancy electronic lock.  How many people here have done something like this, and what is your advice?

Thanks,
David
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Just keep a pistol. I just can't see why people would keep an ar in their car. It is just too unweildly to effectively bring into action.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I should specify, this isn’t really a defensive gun, more of a truck gun.  I just want a secure means of storing it without having to install some large locker in the back.  If I had a pickup I would secure it behind the seat, out of sight.

-David
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Try this.

i wanna get one for in my silverado when i turn 18, but until then, the ar is gonna stay in my room when i get it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
That is funny, I was just stumbled into that and was looking at it.  I really like that, I think it is the way to go.

Now what about theft?  Even if they couldn’t get the rifle out, would you have a monthly problem of someone breaking in and trying?

-David
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just keep a pistol. I just can't see why people would keep an ar in their car. It is just too unweildly to effectively bring into action.

Just my 2 cents.

So true.  Your use of a pistol in a confined space of your vehicle is a lot better than wielding a Rifle or Carbine.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just my 2 cents.

He's not talking about trying to use the AR while in his truck.
Second, if you aren't able to get into your vehicle, start it up, and drive away from the threat, wouldn't you rather be able to grab your AR from it to fight back than to rely on your wimpy (ALL calibers), harder to aim, pistol?

I'd be wary about most of the police type brackets.  Many if not most, have a key backup or key lock.  And many of those are simple handcuff keys.  Way to common to risk having your AR stolen.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Just stick it under one of the seats.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Galls lock
Here is a good idea. I want an electronic release like the one we use at work but here is an inexpensive option.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw a rig one time that would mount to the celing of your truck that held 1 or 2 long guns.  I can't remember the maker though.  I want to try to rig up something similar for the rollbar of my Wranglar for when I'm in the bush with the top off.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Just stick it in a padded case in the floor board.  Putting it in a rack on display where people will see it is more likely to result in a stolen weapon or at the least a broken window than putting it in the floor board of the back seat in a discret carrying case.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Who is it that has the toolbox with a broke-down AR in it?
I would like to find that pic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#13]
It looks to me that with most of those mounts, if you push the pins on the lower, the lower will come free.  The upper looks like it would be captive.  At least the thief couldn't shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my 2 cents.

He's not talking about trying to use the AR while in his truck.
Second, if you aren't able to get into your vehicle, start it up, and drive away from the threat, wouldn't you rather be able to grab your AR from it to fight back than to rely on your wimpy (ALL calibers), harder to aim, pistol?

I'd be wary about most of the police type brackets.  Many if not most, have a key backup or key lock.  And many of those are simple handcuff keys.  Way to common to risk having your AR stolen.

CubDriver wrote "I am looking for it to be fairly accessible, yet secure."  Which let me and I think Enemy to believe he was intending to be readily accessible if he needed to use it in a vehicle.  I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#15]
No, I wasn’t totally clear, but by readily accessible, I didn’t want to be keeping it in one of my tubs in the back where I have to pull stuff out to get it.  I really like the product in the first link, I might put one of those on the side of a gun safe for my HD shot gun.

-David
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have a center console that goes from behind the front seat all the way up to the dash, the kind with heating/radio controls in it, you could gut it and put a SBR inside.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Just my 2 cents.

Not much imagination, eh?

Quite a few of us here keep a rifle and/or a shotgun in our vehicles at all times (in addition to a more readily-accessible handgun).  YMMV, of course.

(Not to mention that he asked HOW, not WHETHER   he should store one in his vehicle... )
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you have a center console that goes from behind the front seat all the way up to the dash, the kind with heating/radio controls in it, you could gut it and put a SBR inside.

What are the laws with keeping a rifle within arms reach of a driver?  
Does it make a difference if it's secured/locked up?
Hidden or in plain sight?  

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It varies greatly from state to state.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It varies greatly from state to state.

Thats kinda what I figured.  
I suppose my question would be better suited for the hometown forums.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I was going to suggest a similar mod that we did to a friends Tahoe.  Ceiling mounted, but the rifle is concealed with a velcro flap with fabric identical to the head liner and the release handle, looks like a oh-sh** handle.  One pull, the rifle is there, ready to go.

As for pistol vs. rifle, I'll take my pistol.  20+1 rounds of .40 and it fits nicely in the center console of my Tahoe.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who is it that has the toolbox with a broke-down AR in it?
I would like to find that pic.

Maryland AR Owner's Site

Complete how-to w/ photo's:
quarterbore.com/ar15m16/toolbox.html
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top