Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 9:58:42 AM EDT
Hi fellas I'm new to AR rifles and want to put an M-4 together. I have purchased a Stag M-4 lower and now am looking for a good upper. I have been considering a Stag, Bravo or Bush upper. Please let me know which one is the best: 1/7 twist, 1/9 twist, carry handle, no carry handle and what type of sites to get if the no carry handle is the option of choice. Thanks alot guys, I really need the advice cause I do not know the difference but want this to be a great rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:15:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2005 10:16:29 AM EDT by Frens]
1/7 or 1/9? take a look here Ammo Oracle

I think a flat top upper is better than a standard A2: if you like iron sights just mount the carry handle..if you like optics just remove the carry handle and mount an optic.

IIRC also CMMG sell M4 style uppers

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:05:36 AM EDT
1/7 for heavier/ longer rounds 68 gr and above (designed around tracer and 75-77gr spec ops rounds). Otherwise if shooting mostly surplus 55-62 gr then I would go 1/9 which is majority.

I have both can't really tell to much a difference.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
Get a flat top. Even if you say you don't like optics now (me back in Feb. when I got my first Ar) you will probably get to the point where you'll want some sort of optic(me now). When I bought my M4gery in Sept. I got an A2, then I build a flat top carbine. Now I either want to switch the uppers or buy a flat top for the M4gery.

The buis on my flattop is a Midwest Industries (I think). It came with the upper receiver assembly when I bought it. It works fine but I have no idea how their quality is, mine is just fine though. It's a flip up model which I like but it stays out of the way when using an optic but flips up easily if needed.

All of mine are 1:9, but I don't shoot anything but 62gr or less.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:46:28 PM EDT
I just ordered a DPMS M4 upper from R Guns for $399 with B/BC/CH. It's the cheapest I could find and DPMS is OK. Cheap way to get into a M4.

I wanted an A2 upper, but I'm not going to pay $100 for the carry handle (they didn't have A2 uppers, just flat top) so I'm going to run a red dot and get a BUIS later.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:22:20 PM EDT
Definately get a flat top whatever you do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:15:57 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies guys. I will get a Stag flat top with back up site. Later I will try to find a good site system for the weapon. Any adive in terms of sites would be appreciated. Take care.
Top Top