Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is this?

BARREL & FRONT SIGHT ASSY AR6520, 1/7 LWT - 16in CHROME LINED

$395.00

Everyone wants their barrel for $99...

...and it's a 16", not a 14.5" like the topic is asking for.

I thought .... oh nevermind.

I still would like to get my hands on what scottryan is asking for.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and it looks stupid.

Just another stupid looking barrel...
www.wamail.net/~jcarr/Picture%20039.jpg

Now that its been pointed out, the fatness under the FSB does look a little odd.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just another stupid looking barrel...
www.wamail.net/~jcarr/Picture%20039.jpg

No whtat its been pointed out, the fatness under the FSB does look a little odd.

Unfortunately, that's the only way to get a proper "F" height front sight base on a lightweight barrel.
There are no 0.625" bore diameter "F" height sight bases out there.

I know that the "Look" is far more important than the function, and that extra 1 ounce of weight is really a killer...

Here we go again, attack an argument with the ever popular "well we know how looks are so important."

Sorry but looks matter to me.

Just like women, they all cook and give birth, but do I just settle for the one that does this the best?  No, looks matter.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry but looks matter to me.

The solution is quite simple then.
Buy a Colt or Bushmaster lightweight barrel.
Shorten it to 14.5" or 15" and permenant attach whatever muzzle device you desire.
I do this all the time.
$50 to shorten and thread the muzzle.
$20 to permenant attach.
Shop Services
Turn-around time is typically 1 weekend, in by thursday, out by tuesday.

Comes out like Forest's 16" barrel:

www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/bm-featherweight.jpg

That looks great! A BM 16" cut down to 14.7" w/ perm. A2 would be the best compromise going, IMHO.

I want one. So, can I buy a BM LW in 1:7 or not?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That looks great! A BM 16" cut down to 14.7" w/ perm. A2 would be the best compromise going, IMHO.

Warning - what Randall isn't telling you that his crown job will improve the accuracy of the barrel.

I want one. So, can I buy a BM LW in 1:7 or not?

Sadly you cannot.  BM only makes A2 and M4 type 1:7 barrels, not the LW.

Best you can do is buy a 14.5" 1:7 M4 and have the forward section turned down to LW profile.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The YHM 5C1 would be my choice for a permanently-attached muzzle device on a 14.5" chrome-lined 1x7 .625" barrel with an M4 barrel extension.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/Images/YHM-28-5C1-Comp.jpg

Nothing to snag, reduced dust signature when firing prone, Vortex-like flash suppression, and the possibility of some muzzle rise compensation due to the lack of a bottom slot.

I have one of these and the reduced dust signature and muzzle compensation aint gonna happen.  Neither is the snagging, but I like the clean look of the 5C1 better.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:12:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, that's the only way to get a proper "F" height front sight base on a lightweight barrel.
There are no 0.625" bore diameter "F" height sight bases out there.

Did you read pages 1 and 2 of this thread?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I would like everyone to concentrate on getting something going on these barrel instead of giving halfway options that we already know about.

We don't want a cutdown 16" LW barrel as the step before the threads will not be present.  Bushmaster only makes 1/7 in M4 and 20" Govt profiles.

Also, F marked FSBs are not that important right now.  I just want to see if we have any options.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag & interested!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok, I would like everyone to concentrate on getting something going on these barrel instead of giving halfway options that we already know about.

We don't want a cutdown 16" LW barrel as the step before the threads will not be present.  Bushmaster only makes 1/7 in M4 and 20" Govt profiles.

Also, F marked FSBs are not that important right now.  I just want to see if we have any options.

I'll check with Shaw tomorrow to see what it would take to knock out 100 of these.

And on that step before the threads, are you talking about the one in the picture of the bushmaster barrel on the marble table?
I added that shoulder, the muzzle is threaded for an inch and the step-up spacer threads on.
With a 0.625" FSB bore, you can't have a shoulder any larger than 0.625" or you can't get the FSB on the barrel.
Lightweight barrels threaded 1/2"-28 have a very small shoulder, so small that an A2 comp with the big bevel on the back actually tightens past the shoulder and the bevel mashes against the shoulder.

I did read the first two pages, but since you are asking me, what did I miss that you wanted to point out?

If this is what your proposing I would be in for one or two depending on price.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll check with Shaw tomorrow to see what it would take to knock out 100 of these.

And on that step before the threads, are you talking about the one in the picture of the bushmaster barrel on the marble table?
I added that shoulder, the muzzle is threaded for an inch and the step-up spacer threads on.
With a 0.625" FSB bore, you can't have a shoulder any larger than 0.625" or you can't get the FSB on the barrel.
Lightweight barrels threaded
1/2"-28 have a very small shoulder, so small that an A2 comp with the big bevel on the back actually tightens past the shoulder and the bevel mashes against the shoulder.

I did read the first two pages, but since you are asking me, what did I miss that you wanted to point out?

All LW barrel have a shoulder behind the threads.

F marked .625" FSB exist.

RED:  I already know this.

LW barrels are .625 under the FSB then step down to .570", then step back up to .625 at the shoulder before the threads.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I would check to see how Bravo Company gets those F stamped FSB for .750" that they sell individually.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I realize this, but I don't want to shell out $400 and shoot up a collectable barrel.

Collectable?  Well now that you says this, I do seem to recall my accountant saying I should invest in barrels and not my 401(K)....................

Don't confuse a collectable with an investment. They are not synonyms.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Perfect specifications:

14.7" LW, 1/7", chrome lined barrel (allows perm attachment of A2 and longer FHs for 16"+ OAL)
0.625 under the HGs
0.625 under the FSB
0.570 forward of the FSB
0.625 shoulder behind threads

Includes: 0.625 A2 FSB, 0.625 HG cap, barrel nut, M4 receiver extension

Options: 0.625 "F" marked FSB, HG cap delete, perm install of FH of your choice.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Perfect specifications:

14.7" 14.5" LW, 1/7", chrome lined barrel (allows perm attachment of A2 and longer FHs for 16"+ OAL)
0.625 under the HGs
0.625 under the FSB
0.570 forward of the FSB
0.625 shoulder behind threads

Includes: 0.625 A2 FSB, 0.625 HG cap, barrel nut, M4 receiver extension

Options: 0.625 "F" marked FSB, HG cap delete, perm install of FH of your choice.

It properly has to mount a bayonet, besides a phantom is better than an A2 flash suppressor
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Perfect specifications:

14.7" LW, 1/7", chrome lined barrel (allows perm attachment of A2 and longer FHs for 16"+ OAL)

Not acceptable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

That sounds great. Except for one thing. I believe most of the people posting here are looking for a *visibly* correct period reproduction part.

Hope that helps.

ETA: I'm looking to build an XM177E2 clone. But I'd also like to integrate modern technology where it would be beneficial without detracting from the visible appearance.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
These last 3 posts are exactly why projects like this never get off the ground.
Sorry for the rant, it's just frustrating.
If you guys are really serious about wanting a barrel like this thread talks about, please let me know so I can regain some faith.
Here's what I propose:

As stated above you can count me in for one or two.
I had two uppers with the 1 in  7 pencil barrel with no flash hider. A local machine shop threaded one of the uppers. Like you said there's not enough material for a washer. I really don't like the look either.
I sold this upper to a friend for his boy and now another friend wants one.

I'm looking for light weight.
I will watch this thread or email me with details.
Thanks for working on this
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Since we decided the option for a bayonet is gay, why not run these in midlength. I think a featherweight midlength is the cat's ass. And everyone with a middy will agree. Just throwing it out there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You got a pretty good idea what you want, but everyone wants JUST one thing done different, therefore, no matter what you design and build, only 1/3 of the people that said "I'm in" earlier are actually going to go along with it in the end.

What they were really "in" for was the $99 barrel that was EXACTLY what THEY wanted.
Take the 14.5" vs 14.7" as a perfect example.
I have an idea where I can make a 14.7" barrel that can have an A2 permenant attached for legality.
Now, for those that actually want to affix a bayonet, I can make a simple little sleeve spacer that goes on the muzzle before the muzzle device.
This little sleeve would come back over the stepped up area and provide a proper 0.860" diameter for a bayonet.
Will I do this?
Probably not because everyone will shit on it because it's not exactly what THEY want.
Is it a good idea to solve everyone's wants with a simple 14.7" barrel? Yes.
There will always be that 1/3 who still won't buy it because it does not look perfect.
Those are the same guys that won't just get over it and buy a lightweight CMMG with a 0.750" FSB...
You guys amaze me.
I spent a couple hours today working on all the details for a proper drawing to submit to Shaw and now I feel like quitting before I really dig myself into a hole.
No call back from CMT about 0.625" FSB's, they are probably closed for the holidays like smart people.
The other unknown is 0.625" round handguard caps.
Gotta source those, $6 from bushmaster is wacked.
If it wasn't for the FSB's, this project would be a slam dunk.
Of course, that's why the other makers have not done it.
Heck, for all I know, these barrels are coming off the production line now from some other maker.
By the time I get mine made, y'all will have already bought them and leave me stuck holding  $14,000 in barrels that nobody wants because they were just the fad of the week and everyone has theirs now.

Sorry for the rant, it's just frustrating.
If you guys are really serious about wanting a barrel like this thread talks about, please let me know so I can regain some faith.
Here's what I propose:

14.7" chrome lined 5.56 chamber and chrome bore, M4 ramped barrel extension, carbine located "F" height gas block, 0.875" over the chamber, dropping to 0.650" then tapering to 0.625" just before the FSB shoulder, then dropping to 0.570" straight to the 0.620" step before a 1/2"-28 threaded muzzle.

M4 extension works on all receivers, no need for standard ramps.
The taller FSB is the way to go, those of you with A2 receivers can shorten the sight post easier than those with flattops can raise the post and there are probably a LOT more flattop builders than A2 builders.
14.7" with a shoulder spacer for the few of you that want bayonet compatibility is the best option in my opinion. I think the vast majority will say they want a phantom, but then go with an A2 because of price. The $30 phantom vs the $5 A2 is a consideration for many, especially you guys that want it for $99 and there are a bunch of you out there

RED:  I am not being unreasonable or hard to work with.  All I am asking for is a remake of a standard barrel that has existed for 20 years.

BLUE:  14.7" is not acceptable.  Still not getting the point of the thread.  We want a standard barrel with no extra BS.  No attached stuff.

Bushmaster is getting their .625 FSB from somewhere.  So can we.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#27]
CMMG could probley turn one down for you.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Scott, you want no attached stuff per your last comment. You planning on using this barrel for a SBR? If not then 14.7 with A2 is closer to milspec than a vortex on a 14.5.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

RED:  I am not being unreasonable or hard to work with.  All I am asking for is a remake of a standard barrel that has existed for 20 years.   Why don't you ask the company that has been making them FOR 20 YEARS to go ahead and make some for you?

BLUE:  14.7" is not acceptable.  Still not getting the point of the thread.  We want a standard barrel with no extra BS.  No attached stuff.  Who isWE? Manufacturers care about numbers not WE.

Bushmaster is getting their .625 FSB from somewhere.  So can we.   Get to finding out the supplier then.

I  hate to rag on you Scott, but if you're a "COLT EXPERT" then why can't YOU tell US where COLT gets thier .625 fsb's?  The 5/8 FSB is the problem, everything else is just numbers.......
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Scott, you want no attached stuff per your last comment. You planning on using this barrel for a SBR? If not then 14.7 with A2 is closer to milspec than a vortex on a 14.5.

A 14.5" with SDI is closer to milspec.

I dont' want some attached contraption to mount a bayonet.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hey the thread asked for a 14.5" barrel, besides, if your going to pay for what will basically be an expensive barrel COMPARED to mass produced ones what is 25 bucks more?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
CMMG could probley turn one down for you.

Could they just turn down the part in between the FSB and leave two humps where the FSB attaches?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Could they just turn down the part in between the FSB and leave two humps where the FSB attaches?

I have done this as well.
It still looks out-of-proportion.
You end up with the FAT front sight base with what appears to be a lightweight barrel through the middle.
There's this fugly space where the bayo lug hangs down as well.

Ya I guess that would look odd from the front then, really odd.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Randall, thanks for exploring the production of this barrel. Thanks for also adopting my recommendation of the 14.7" barrel length. I will continue to advocate the A2 0.625 FSB. FYI, you can also get the HG caps from Specialized Armament.

"Colt Expert"--You can't handle a non-mil-spec 0.2" extra on the end of your barrel yet you are perfectly comfortable with a more expensive, non-mil-spec, extended A2-like flash hider? That's your argument for not being able to use the most popular, inexpensive, and mil-spec flash hider available for the AR-15? Just want to make sure that we are clear on this point.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
"Colt Expert"--You can't handle a non-mil-spec 0.2" extra on the end of your barrel yet you are perfectly comfortable with a more expensive, non-mil-spec, extended A2-like flash hider? That's your argument for not being able to use the most popular, inexpensive, and mil-spec flash hider available for the AR-15? Just want to make sure that we are clear on this point.

Not meaning to speak for scottryan, but I think you might be assuming a bit much there. I see his comments as offering alternatives for people concerned about not having the extra length, not necessarily what his use was going to be.

Besides, I would prefer the correct length as I'm sure other people that don't mind going the SBR route, if that's their choice. Also, there are other FH options than just A2/Phantom/Vortex.

ETA: For my particular application, the extra bit won't make or break my project. Given a choice, I vote for the correct length 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#39]
As pointed out by the Randall, 14.7" is more likely to sell and therefore be built in the first place.

If you guys  decide on 14.5" good fucking luck trying to find someone to make and sell these barrels.

I really don't care if it's 14.5 or 14.7"--I just want to see this animal get built.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If you guys  decide on 14.5" good fucking luck trying to find someone to make and sell these barrels.

That has to be one of the most retarded comments I have ever heard.

What about all the 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrels people are/were jumping through hoops to get?

What about the 14.5" barrel bushmaster sells that everyone has?  Bushmaster even uses this barrel on their most popular factory gun with a perm affix muzzle device.

What about people paying $400 to $500 for a real Colt 1/7 LW barrel?  Or all the 14.5" options CMMG sells?

You don't think their is a market for 14.5" barrels?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Show me a pic of your LW 14.5" barrel when you get it produced.  I won't hold my breath.

Don't try comparing the popularity of a 14.5" Colt M4 barrel to a small run of 14.5" LWs from a lesser known manufacturer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Show me a pic of your LW 14.5" barrel when you get it produced.  I won't hold my breath.

Don't try comparing the popularity of a 14.5" Colt M4 barrel to a small run of 14.5" LWs from a lesser known manufacturer.

I don't suppose then CMMG and Bravo Company don't sell any of their 14.5" barrels?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I wasn't aware CMMG and Bravo made mil-spec 14.5" LW barrels. If they did, we wouldn't be having this thread, now would we?  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I wasn't aware CMMG and Bravo made mil-spec 14.5" LW barrels. If they did, we wouldn't be having this thread, now would we?  

Why all the negativity, Moriarity?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You said 14.5" wouldn't sell as well as 14.7".  This is wrong.

What does barrel profile have to do with it?

14.5" will always outsell 14.7" because it is a standard length reguardless of the barrel profile.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You can find them for 250 you just have to look harder.

I look for this stuff everyday, several times a day.  I have found much rarer Colt parts than these LW barrels.  I'm looking plenty hard.

I have never seen one of these LW barrels go that low.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Scott for as much grief your getting just go buy a Colt.

No shit.  I dont understand what is wrong with asking for a standard barrel that has existed for a longer period to time than most of these "know it alls" on this site.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I would buy this barrel at either length. My build would be a little cheaper with the 14.7", but I really want a LW barrel for a new project.

Obviously, cost is important to all of us. Otherwise, we'd pay the big $$$ for a Colt or buy the 16" BM (in 1:7) and have it hacked off. Using the non-F FSB doesn't change the profile of the gun at all - just buy the taller post.

But, either length and either FSB is OK for me. I'll buy one!

ETA: Turning my AR into a pointy stick is not a desireable feature to me, but it is to many. I'm neutral on bayonet attachment. But I wouldn't want something strange looking out there simply to allow it. I'd rather have a 14.5" barrel and a longer FH that would facilitate the bayo.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top