Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 6:53:43 AM EDT
I am about to purchase my first AR, and I have studied this topic for the last year and a half.  Everytime I started to buy one something would come up.  Now I am finally going to take the plunge and buy myself one for Christmas.  I have my selection narrowed to three different makers.  Please weigh in on your thoughts as any advice is appreciated.

1.  Stag Arms, bought as a complete M4 upper and complete lower.  Also I would want the flattop with the BUIS.  I will plan on adding an optic down the road so I want the flattop.  This is the cheapest on the 3 options I have.

2.  RRA Entry Tactical flattop with a BUIS.  This is another option I am looking at, but a fair bit more expensive than option one.

3.  Bushmaster M4.  This is the last option and I am kind of in a toss up between this one and the RRA, on which one would be my complete gun choice.

Right now I am leaning towards the Stag setup based on price.  For the extra money I would spend on the other two I could buy a lot of mags and some ammo.  However, I have never shot or owned an AR.  Thanks for the advice in advance, I think I have some pretty good choices but I am open to any other ones as well.

Blaker
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#2]
1. Bushmaster
2. RRA
3. Stag

Go with Bushmaster, the quality, customer service and all out satisfaction is well worth the money
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Stag makes a great product (CMT). If you can live with the deer head logo on the lower I say get that one. I have used their lower parts kits, stocks and uppers for builds but can't seem to force myself to accept a deer head on an AR15. Great products at excellent prices.

RRA has great fit and finish and a decent priced rifle. I own 3 RRA rifles. They are not factory built but built with RRA parts from dealers. Saved a bunch doing it that way. I have seen many brands in person and I can't recall another brand that looked as good fit and finish wise than a RRA.

Bushmaster is another great option but too pricey considering what you can get in teh other 2 mentioned options. I have had Bushmaster rifles and the fit and finish of the RRA still impressed me more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#4]
you can't go wrong with those choices.

for investment purposes you may be better served by a bushie or rockriver...JMO.

they are all top quality and you'll be pleased with your choice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#5]
If I had the cash in hand, I would go with the Bushmaster.  You'll have the warranty as your backup with a complete rifle.  Second I would go with the Stag set up.  Personally I prefer the chrome lined Gov't profile barrel on the Stag compared with the chromoly HBAR RRA.  The nice thing about the RRA is the 2 stage trigger.  

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both a Bushy A3 with a 20" barrel and a Rock River Entry Tactical M4gery. Both are excellent weapons, shoot great and are very reliable.

I would say the Bushy is closer to mil-spec. The Rock River is more law enforcement spec. That being said, the Rock River was chosen by the DEA and FBI after grueling reliability tests.

All things being equal, I think you get more goodies for the buck with the Rock River. Mine came with a 2-stage trigger, a Hogue pistol grip, and Yankee Hill free float quad-rail handguards. I had to spend extra money for these items on my Bushy. However, if you want top of the line stuff, buy the Bushy, and then customize it. Free float the barrel, put in a 2-stage trigger, change the pistol grip, and on and on.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It's just a question of how much you want to spend.

BTW--don't forget the cost of a good scope. I have a Leupold MR/T 3-9x36 scope on my Bushy and an Trijicon ACOG TA-31 RCO M4 on my Rock River. Plan on spending about $1,000 for either of these.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you'll be happy with whichever you choose.  Look at ALL the features of each gun, and compare.
If you want chrome-lined bore and chamber...make sure the one you're going with has it.

For your first one, buy the least expensive one, and spend what $'s you saved, and buy ammo and mags.  Thats not saying it isnt worth spending extra to get something a little nicer...but it's your money.  

I went with RRA because they are sold locally (at ADCO), and my buddy bought one there, so he told me I should go there.  After I Shot my friends A2, I instantly knew I HAD to have one.  Eventually I went and bought one from Adco.  

Buy what you want, and what you can afford.  Be sure to have a little left over for a few mags and some ammo.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#8]
They are all good.  If you are watching you expenditure, I'd go with Stag (CMT) so you have some bucks for ammo and mags and so on.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I am leaning towards Stag right now, although I am wanting a Ar 9mm too.  So it would make sense to have a RRA Ar-15, and a RRA 9mm.  Damn this is a tough decision to make!  I will crunch the numbers more closely tonight and see what I can get for the extra money.  

Also, I am assuming that there is nothing to putting the upper and lower together...and I correct?

Thanks.

Blaker
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Ive got the stag complete upper with a stag lower and RRA parts kit and stock.  I love it, it was fairly cheap to build and shoots as well as my bushmaster.  

I havent noticed any differences in quality, very happy with both of them.  I like to shoot, as often as I can, so I run the cheapest ammo I can through both of them (wolf) without problems.  

I would recommend stag above bushmaster if you can get over the deer head and if you are wanting to save money.  I cant think of any reason why the bushmaster is superior to the stag arms product.  

Both are good looking and shooting products.  

The only problem I had with the stag arms was the gas carrier key coming loose after about 1k rounds, but i tightened up the 2 bolts and havent had any problems since. (a few thousand rounds)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay I looked around trying to find the best prices that I could.  Heres what I came up with:

1. Stag:  685.00 (Lower-210.00 shipped; upper with BUIS-475.00)

2. RRA:  829.00 with carry handle

3. Bushmaster:  820.00 with carry handle

Looks like I would be saving around 130 dollars going with the Stag setup.  Plus I get the BUIS that I will need to co-witness with an optic later on.  I don't really have a need for the carry handle.  With the extra doe I can buy plenty of mags, sling, and anything else I will need.  So right now I am leaning towards Stag, with a Bushy from AIM running second.

Thanks for all the advice.

Blaker
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Go Stag!Love em.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Whoops!  I just threw a wrench in to my whole well thought out plan.  I went into a local gunstore around here that normally doesn't have anything.  Well, I walk in and spot a 9mm AR and a few other AR's.  I grab up the 9mm and sure enough it is a Rock River.  I immediately ask how much thinking he would say like 999.00 or something.  He said I can get you out the door for 850.00.  I'm thinking damn thats a good deal considering the guys in the EE are selling them for 805, and buy the time I transfer it the extra money isn't worth the headache.  

I put down half because thats all I had on me and I am going back to pick it up tomorrow.  This is my first AR, and I was wondering if I messed up by going the 9mm route first?  He said he will be getting in some RRA AR's next week and said they would be the same price.  May put one on layaway then if I like this RRA 9mm.  Thanks.

Blaker
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Whoops!  I just threw a wrench in to my whole well thought out plan.  I went into a local gunstore around here that normally doesn't have anything.  Well, I walk in and spot a 9mm AR and a few other AR's.  I grab up the 9mm and sure enough it is a Rock River.  I immediately ask how much thinking he would say like 999.00 or something.  He said I can get you out the door for 850.00.  I'm thinking damn thats a good deal considering the guys in the EE are selling them for 805, and buy the time I transfer it the extra money isn't worth the headache.  

I put down half because thats all I had on me and I am going back to pick it up tomorrow.  This is my first AR, and I was wondering if I messed up by going the 9mm route first?  He said he will be getting in some RRA AR's next week and said they would be the same price.  May put one on layaway then if I like this RRA 9mm.  Thanks.

Blaker

I wouldn't say you are "messing up" to get a 9mm...but I certainly think 5.56 is much cooler. And with bulk ammo around (i.e. wolf) it's not very expensive to shoot 5.56.....may even be cheaper than 9mm, though I've never really looked. Anyway, just my $0.02
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Blaker

I dont think You messed   up but You will end up buying a 2nd AR in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
1. Bushmaster
2. RRA
3. Stag

Go with Bushmaster, the quality, customer service and all out satisfaction is well worth the money

+1
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Stag
RRA
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#18]
1. Colt Defense
2. Colt Manufacturing

nuff said...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy what you will be happy with,  not to please some else.   Walmart has value packs of 100 for the 9MM and will provide you with good ammo for indoor range use.

I have two Bushmasters.  One a 20 inch with a Leupold Tactical scope on the LaRue mount and the second a 16 inch M4 with a EO-teach 552F and a LMT back up sight.   One for close quarters the other scoped.  I am adding xtras as I can and it is fun to work on them.

My prior AR`s were colt and they were good weapons also.  Enjoy your purchase.  Then plan a build.
No better way to understand how it works then to put it together yourself.  The help you need is here on the forum the best sorce of info around.  I still have a lot to learn,   thats why I am here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my Stag.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top