User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
twice a month 250-300 for the AR, 100 for 1911 , 100 for 92FS. I tend to shoot slow and work on my accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
4 times per year. 50 rounds in the Savage .223 Varmint, 100 - 150 rounds in the AR15. I work on accuracy at 100 yds (sniper mode). So far, 6" group with my 20" barrel AR15 is my best using A2 sights. I'm putting together a Dissipator flattop with 16" barrel and 6-18x scope. Trying to buy more 5,56mm ammo this year before it goes up in price again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#3]
2 weekends a month 500 rds at a sitting...have to leave room for the M14 and 1911 200 rounds a piece.Works out to $60 a week in ammo.Doesnt count whats tucked away
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Not as often as I'd like.  The local public use range is closed for "renovations." [roll]

I usually shoot at least a hundred rounds but most times it's closer to 300.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Twice a month,  (weather permitting) 400-600 rounds per "outing"

Dave W.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Before and during 3-Gun Season (3-4 times per week):

* Minimum of 600 rounds of .223 (handloads)
* Minimum of 300 rounds of .38 Super or .40 S&W (Open vs. Limited pistol)
* Minimum of 200 rounds of shotgun (Wal-mart Federeal bulk ammo, Spreaders and Slugs)
* Minimum of 200 rounds of .22 out of my "bench" 10/22 (shooting against Dad for dinner)

Off-season (i.e. no 3-Gun, just pistol season, 2-3 times per week):

* Minimum of 200 rounds of .223 (handloads)
* Minimum of 500 rounds of .38 Super or .40 S&W (Open vs. Limited pistol)
* Minimum of 300 rounds of shotgun (mostly trap & skeet...very little 3-Gun work)
* Minimum of 200 rounds of .22 out of my "bench" 10/22 (shooting against Dad for dinner)

IPSC/USPSA/IMGA 3-Gun shooters, shoot....A LOT.  The only way to do it affordably is to load it yourself (except shotgun...just buy it).  I'm lucky.  My father helped me out when I was starting in the sport(s).  I now run 2-RL1050's.  One for just .38 Super.  The other alternates between .40 S&W and .223, depending if it's 3-Gun season or not.  I probably should switch my Open pistol to .38 Supercomp, just to make switching toolheads on the 1050 easier.  I'd probably just buy another one or a XL650.  If I went with the 650, then I'd have it in .40 and leave the second 1050 in .223.  

I love shooting and love shooting rifle.  Just one of those things that I've been good at since I was 6 shooting my Dad's stock 10/22.  Pre-Army, I shot a lot.  I mean, if I wasn't at work, at the gym, or at my girlfriend's, I was at the range.  If not there, I was at my house dry firing for hours!  Since I've been deployed, it's tougher to get any kind of REAL practice in.  We spend a lot of time qualifying and doing drills that I disagree with.  But then, I don't have the weight to debate.  I do things my way and my team follows when we do CQ and LFX work.  Since we smoke everyone, we don't catch too much grief for "doing it the wrong way".

Shooting is fun, and it should be fun.  Don't buy/build something that you're not going to shoot.  If it's a money thing, buy a .22 upper/conversion kit and get out on the range.  If it's a time thing, 'cause of family, well, try getting the wife/husband involved in shooting.  If it's a difficulty in getting to the range, then A) practice at home on positions, dry firing, etc.; and B) absolutely make the most of the time that you get to the range.  Practice with real ammo and practice perfect.

Great shooters are made through dedication, persistence and hard work.  And doing 100% is easier than doing it at 50%.  Half assing it means you have to work twice as hard just to try and break even.  If you put out 100%, if only for 20 minutes here and 15 minutes there, you are that much more ahead of a guy that will spend at least 70 minutes just to catch up to you.

So get out to the range and shoot!!!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top