50-300--intermediate
>300--long

But that's just my opinion.

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keeping in mind that I'm an Armchair Commando, with NO .MIL experience whatsoever, I'd say in MY case, anything I can hit by "point shooting" is close range.

Lonny

I reccomend you use your sights.  There have been cases of trained shooters firing whole mags at people and missing at the 15 yard line.  With an AR.  Pistols, point shoooting is more than iffy by the 3 yard line.

Which is why I placed this qualifier..  

JMHO as an Armchair Commando. YMMV due to skill and experience..

Lonny

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Short range ends at 100yds for me.  Why?  I dont know, maybe because in my experience it seems to be a threshold in performance for a lot of shooters, +/- a few yards.

shrugs

Where does intermediate range end and long range begin for you Lumpy?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
. Winds should not be problem with a 5.56, at 300 even with high winds you have very little deflection at that range, aiming center mass out to 300 will more than  compensate for any wind effects on a full silhouette.  Also unlike hunting, we would take a shot even if it were not guaranteed a human killing shot, knowing that 1) any hit can be fatal 2) most hits adversely effects the enemy to resist 3) we are not concerned with “human” kills, but instead accomplishing a mission

True only if you narrow your definition of accuracy to any hit on a full silhouette.   I always had BZO at 200M and went up one or two clicks for 300M shots.   Not adjusting for windage at 300M will neither assure you of a possible in a match nor confidently make a kill.    Forget about hitting even a sillhouette at 500M without having a handle on windage.  
I am not addressing battlefield engagement distances.  I am addressing those distances where most people visiting the board would have a reasonable chance at making an accurate shot.  If you don't have a high probability of putting your rounds into the 8 ring or tighter, you are not making a reasonably accurate shot.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
True only if you narrow your definition of accuracy to any hit on a full silhouette.   I always had BZO at 200M and went up one or two clicks for 300M shots.   Not adjusting for windage at 300M will neither assure you of a possible in a match nor confidently make a kill.    Forget about hitting even a sillhouette at 500M without having a handle on windage.  
I am not addressing battlefield engagement distances.  I am addressing those distances where most people visiting the board would have a reasonable chance at making an accurate shot.  If you don't have a high probability of putting your rounds into the 8 ring or tighter, you are not making a reasonably accurate shot.

Well the narrow definition of accuracy is what we Marines strive for, I as a leader I am not so much concerned with how someone does on the KD, other than their cutting score.  I am more concerned with that narrow definition of accuracy of being able to hit another human.  The 200 8/3-2 BZO is pretty much standard on phase 1 of the range, but the +2 for 300 brings you right up to the 8/3 setting of the rifle.  A reasonably accurate shot is hitting your enemy.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Well the narrow definition of accuracy is what we Marines strive for, I as a leader I am not so much concerned with how someone does on the KD, other than their cutting score.  I am more concerned with that narrow definition of accuracy of being able to hit another human.  

I should have said wide definition of accuracy.  You don't have to be very accurate to hit a sillhouette.   If your mission doesn't involve killing your targets, then I guess that you don't need accuracy as an atribute in your Marines.
I suppose you are merely pushing the minimum training for the war at hand.   Still, I have a hard time accepting that you would not encourage  your Marines to be better marksmen.  
When I was active...... We Marines had a focus on and a pride in scoring well at the range.  We cared about putting in the time and shooting well.  The whole training hard  in time of peace to assure better success in time of war think was hammered into us.  How are you going to kill another man if you can't beat a piece of paper?    Myself and other NCO's tried to encourage everyone to strive for a set of crossed rifles.  A pizza box didn't get much praise.  A couple of points either way on the range will give little impact on a cutting score, but better marksmanship may save your life or the life of another in the field.    A wounded enemy may still be able to kill.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I suppose you are merely pushing the minimum training for the war at hand.   Still, I have a hard time accepting that you would not encourage  your Marines to be better marksmen.  
When I was active...... We Marines had a focus on and a pride in scoring well at the range.  We cared about putting in the time and shooting well.  The whole training hard  in time of peace to assure better success in time of war think was hammered into us.  How are you going to kill another man if you can't beat a piece of paper?    Myself and other NCO's tried to encourage everyone to strive for a set of crossed rifles.  A pizza box didn't get much praise.  A couple of points either way on the range will give little impact on a cutting score, but better marksmanship may save your life or the life of another in the field.    A wounded enemy may still be able to kill.

The problem is that rifle range performance doesn't translate to gun fighting performance, especially when the first thing you teach Marines on the close shooting course is "The Marine Corps taught you to shoot, we are teaching you to fight. The first thing you have to remember about fighting is most of what was taught on the KD course will not apply."

Simple fact of life is that the KD/SLR course is based on a game , a game in which the doctrine that supported it became obsolete in 1914.   However we being almost as steeped in tradition and mythology as a religion were never willing to look at what happens on a battlefield but defaulted to what we thought happened.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I define it by the weapon used to destroy the target.  From a 16" barrel, 55gr FMJ fragments out to ~150yards, so my AR-15 is for 0-150yards (short range).

Next is 150yards to ~600yards (intermediate range)...for that, I want my AR-10 in .308.  Anything beyond 600yards I leave to the 50BMG (long range).

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Close range  is in the mean point blank range of the particular weapon to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It is weapon specific.

For a AR platform Lumpy hit it bang on.

Additionally we are talking about combat a fluid and dynamic environment not KD shooting...

I just reread the first post and it doesn't specify combat or KD.  To me, it's one in the same!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Simple fact of life is that the KD/SLR course is based on a game , a game in which the doctrine that supported it became obsolete in 1914.   However we being almost as steeped in tradition and mythology as a religion were never willing to look at what happens on a battlefield but defaulted to what we thought happened.

Thank you, STLRN.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
87 meters!

It's been scientifically proven!

OK, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THIS 87 IS ALL ABOUT.  If it was 69 I would get it, but 87.  

It's everywhere, man.  I gotta know

Its something he pulled out of his ass!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Which is characteristic of markm...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The problem is that rifle range performance doesn't translate to gun fighting performance, especially when the first thing you teach Marines on the close shooting course is "The Marine Corps taught you to shoot, we are teaching you to fight. The first thing you have to remember about fighting is most of what was taught on the KD course will not apply."

We've now drifted beyond the initial subject of the post.  We have left the discussion of what is medium to long range and have entered the discussion of training for modern combat.
You obviously share the opinion with others  that the KD course is outdated and that a close combat course is more relevant.    I agree that success at a 500M KD course has little to do with clearing a building.   Staying on this line of thinking would you agree that those who focus on a course which trains the majority of its focus under 200M may have a difficult time scoring a 10 at a target which is 300 or more Meters away therefore  making more than 300M a long distance for such a shooter?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it should be defined by your own local environment....

In Maine it's:

<50 yards   = Short Range

50-200       = Intermediate

>200 yards = Long Range

Up here in God's Cold Thick Green Rocky Countryside Hokie doesn't have the opportunity shoot past 300 yards.  If he's occasionally called to do so, he moves closer to the target.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's my take on it.

"ranges" for rifle use, pistol has it's own set
Short range is under 200 yards ( because further than that, I can't readily identify the target)
Int. range is 200 to 500 ( I can see target, but can't ID)
Long is over 500 ( I can't see the target)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#19]
within rifle range context, I would agree when you move out to 500 than reading the wind and NPA becomes much more important and someone trained out to 300 would have problems making the leap to 500.  However, at 300, I would say most people could readily transition from 200m shooting to 300 meter shooting without much of a problem, that is why they only allow a loop sling at 500, because shooting at 200 isnt' much differant than 300.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I was concerned with combat data.  I was specifically looking at the use of carbines with magnified optcs used to fill the short range and intermediate role and why it is that everyone considers a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel a CQB only rifle yet a 14.5" or 16" rifle with a low powered optic is often considered intermediate range weapon.  I thought perhaps I was mistaken and the role of the carbine with magnification was simply to better cover the "short" range out to 100-200 yards or where ever short range ends.

Kevin,

You have a match grade barrel and Short Dot on your carbine.  Do you consider that to be both a short and intermediate range rifle or is it just a short range rifle to you?  It seems most everyone disagrees with ranges where short range combat turns into intermediate and noone thinks it has to do with the terminal ballistics of the weapon.  Other than that I was just trying to stir up ideas and opinions so I could have a better idea of the realities and thoughts behind current gear selection by law enforcement and the military.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top