Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Lot of trouble to go to.

Stripping anodizing off, welding over the M16 markings with aluminum, refinishing the raw area, welding the sear holes,  re-rollmarking the AR15, re - anodizing (entire receiver for a match in color?).

Not a bad job, really, but makes you wonder why they didn't do a better job of making the auto sear pin holes blend in better, if they were having to weld aluminum anyway.

Perhaps so they could easily be drilled out again?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Doesnt this violate some GCA laws somehow?

You'll have to ask the owner, since I'm sure the laws in Costa Rica are different then ours.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Your lower looks like the writing was welded over and remarked, then the lower was refinished.

The horse logo and the "COLT" appear like that on a non "US Property" marked M16A1

It looks like someone took a M16A1, and redid some of the lettering.

I agree, the font of the "Colt" and location of the Horsey logo are those of an M16A1.  The "M16A1" markings look to have been welded over and "AR15A2" engraved (not roll-marked) in its place.  And very nicely done I would say.

The out of place looking "Division" roll-mark is normal for M16's manufactured at the time Colt was operating under corporate name of Colt's Fireams Divison.

Josh
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The selector marks on aCOMMERCIAL SEMI AUTO AR15A2 would be "safe" and "fire".
This M16A1 lower WAS marked SAFE, SEMI and AUTO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag to see how this all turns out, and because it's good info.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#6]
looks like fake roll marks, and  m16 internals.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Well just today I went to the weapon store that I bought it and they showed me all the papers of the rifle, aparently everything is in order. I understand that this is no AR-15A2 and that probably the marks are fake but I really do not care if I can place the ownership to myself in a legal way. I do not want anything illegal and will never like to go that way.
A full auto weapon here is completely illegal, you can get them in the gray market but it is not worth the risk.
As I understand you people lately can purchase fully auto weapons isn't is so?
For me the AR-15 was a lifetime dream, not for the kind of weapon or the firepower, since there are a lot of better weapons out there, but for the looks, for me is one of the most beautifull rifle ever done.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well just today I went to the weapon store that I bought it and they showed me all the papers of the rifle, aparently everything is in order. I understand that this is no AR-15A2 and that probably the marks are fake but I really do not care if I can place the ownership to myself in a legal way. I do not want anything illegal and will never like to go that way.
A full auto weapon here is completely illegal, you can get them in the gray market but it is not worth the risk.
For me the AR-15 was a lifetime dream, not for the kind of weapon or the firepower, since there are a lot of better weapons out there, but for the looks, for me is one of the most beautifull rifle ever done.

Congrats on your purchase!!!!

and before I forget  Welcome to the Site!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Glad to hear your rifle is legal, now go out and shoot it!

Not in the US unless it was manufactured before 86 and you pay a $200 tax.  And then the ones you'll find are beat to death and cost both arms and legs.

For me the AR-15 was a lifetime dream, not for the kind of weapon or the firepower, since there are a lot of better weapons out there

Well no, there aren't "a lot of better weapons out there".  Maybe a few, but no way is there a "lot" of better weapons.

but for the looks, for me is one of the most beautifull rifle ever done.

Gotta agree with you there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#10]
So this is a M16A1 that was converted to semi-auto to be compliant.

My avatar is a picture of my Colt AR-6520 Gov't Carbine, yours looks like the M16A1 rollmark,
but the AR-15 A2 rollmark is different.

You might try calling Colt 1-800-962-COLT...hopefully they can help you.

Interesting story....Thanks for sharing with us.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Interesting story....

So this was a M16A1 that was converted to semi-auto because of legalities.

You might try calling Colt 1-800-962-COLT...hopefully your serial number is legitimate.

Thank for sharing with us.

The serial number is not the one Colt's gave that lower.  The important thing is that the serial number is what his goverment thinks it should be.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Your lower looks like the writing was welded over and remarked, then the lower was refinished.

The horse logo and the "COLT" appear like that on a non "US Property" marked M16A1

It looks like someone took a M16A1, and redid some of the lettering.

Exactly my thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
neat...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Over here there is no legal resource to allow such a conversion from machinegun to semi-auto, once a machinegun, always a machinegun. Even if the sear holes are welded up and all the internals are replaced with semi-only.

I can imagine that in Costa Rica there is a very low number of real AR-15's and the import of black rifles for civilian use was probably never allowed. Most Ar's must be armed forces surplus that were converted for civilian use, remarked, and amnesty registered as civilian owned semiautomatic rifles.

I've been to Costa Rica many times and I was under the impression that firearm ownership was almost impossible, so I'm sure you had to go through a lot of difficulty to get this weapon, congratulations!  Were can you go and legaly shoot it?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Where the new roll marks and serial are the receiver looks dished like it was just sanded down and blended in but hard to tell from a photo.  I would bet that was the course of action here and why the sear holes are kinda crude.  Tig welding on a 7075 receiver is difficult unless you really know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Where the new roll marks and serial are the receiver looks dished like it was just sanded down and blended in but hard to tell from a photo.  I would bet that was the course of action here and why the sear holes are kinda crude.  Tig welding on a 7075 receiver is difficult unless you really know what you are doing.

I was thinking the same thing.  After looking at it some more it does look like it is dished in.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top