Best Overall: Colt
Best Resale:Colt
Most Prolific: Armalite
Most Popular: Bushmaster and RRA
Most underwater bumpfired: Bushmaster
Red-Headed stepchild: Olympic
Most Multicalibered: Olympic
Most overpriced: Wilson and Les Baer
Most technologically  innovative: Leitner-wise and P.O.F. and honorable mention to ZM Weapons.
Most unobtainable: H&K 416
Most non-existent: Ares Defense Shrike
Most Urban Mythologized: Mattel
Worst overall: Vulcan Arms

Now that is THE list as far as i'm concerned!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The best AR15 for the money is a slightly Used AR you will find on the Equipment exchange, Check it out There are plenty for sale; Selection & Features are for your choosing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hi! I am currently seeking to purchase an AR15 for home defense and also to possibley use on duty. . . . .  We have bushmasters at my police department now. . . .  Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Pibb148, If you decide to buy your own to use on-duty, keep in mind that if you shoot someone with it, it will be taken away from you and stored in a property room for the duration of the case (which could take years). While arriving and stored there, it will be handled by anybody and everybody with access to it, and it will more than likely come back to you (eventually) in far worse shape than when it left.
For on-duty use, use your Departments Bushmaster. It's a great rifle and if you break it or shoot someone with it, they'll give you another one right away!
For home use, I would buy either a complete Colt 6920/6921 or. . . build your own with a stripped Bushmaster lower, Colt SP1 internals (NOS), and complete the rest of the rifle with current Colt 6920/6921 complete upper and stock of your choice.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#5]
RRA, STAG, CMT, these should be the best value but it is all dependent where you live.

Max
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The best value for your money?  An AR you build yourself, usually for $500-$600, far less if you get the parts in deals such as on the EE boards.  Doing that and using left over parts, I built mine for under $300, works like a champ.

not much in experience with ARs so forgive me if this questions seems out of wack. Wouldnt that be taking a chance with compatibility??

Uh no not really.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Best value for the money: DPMS (more bang for the buck!)
Best Overall: RRA
Best Resale:Colt (too expensive)
Most Prolific: Armalite (?)
Most Popular: Bushmaster and RRA
Most underwater bumpfired: WHO CARES?
Red-Headed stepchild: Olympic
Most Multicalibered: Olympic and DPMS
Most overpriced: Colt, Wilson, and Les Baer
Most technologically  innovative: Leitner-wise and P.O.F. and honorable mention to ZM Weapons.
Most unobtainable: H&K 416
Most non-existent: Ares Defense Shrike
Most Urban Mythologized: Mattel
Worst overall: Vulcan Arms

I personally invested my hard-earned money into a DPMS Panther Carbine and I love it. I am looking into buying a DPMS Panther AP4 or an RRA Entry Tactical this go-around. For the money, the DPMS is the better buy for what I am going to do. I plan to make several mods to get it to my liking. The $200 difference between the two can afford me to spend more on the mods for the DPMS.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The best value for your money?  An AR you build yourself, usually for $500-$600, far less if you get the parts in deals such as on the EE boards.  Doing that and using left over parts, I built mine for under $300, works like a champ.

not much in experience with ARs so forgive me if this questions seems out of wack. Wouldnt that be taking a chance with compatibility??

Uh no not really.

I agree.  As long as you stick with quality parts, there should be no problems, the AR-15 is very modular and that is one of the strong points about the platform.  Occasionally getting a cheap parts kit a piece (usually minor) may required just a bit of fitting, but normally not.

I can't emphasize how great the feeling is to put your own rifle together and shoot it.  The satisfaction is overwhelming.  I like my own homebuilt better than my M16 much of the time.  It gives me a great sense of pride and satisfaction.

Plus it's cheap!

The only difference is that it won't have much resale value compared to a factory built rifle, but I would stack my homebuilt up against any standard factory rifle out there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sorry but how are BM more expensive than RRA?  Every Complete RRA I've seen is over $800 (if you add tax) and so are BM.

build one out of a complete upper, and just build the lower receiver with a parts kit, you'll save a little, and you'll learn more about the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Stag or RRA.

Someone mentioned CMT makes most of RRA's parts. That is true, but the same can be said for many Colt's, Oly bolts, and many other companies. That really has no affect on what you get.

RRA is set up for the builder IMO. None of the other big names have cheaper uppers and lowers, which makes a very good complete for cheap. RRA also offers a limited lifetime warranty and have one of the best reputations for customer service and quality.

RRA is my preference.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep seeing alot about price and this and that being cheaper than Bushmaster, you guys are shopping in the wrong place if your paying $950 for a patrolman's carbine. Check out Aim surplus.

Aim Surplus
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Colt, Bushmaster, or Rock River Arms
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top