Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First off, I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hope they catch those worthless bastards.

Secondly. This is the reason to have Renters Insurance!

This is something that SOOOOOO many people don't even think about.

But its so CHEAP!

Belive me man, I'm not trying to lecture you here, as that won't solve anything.

But more a warning to others that are renting.

It's cheap, and it's worth it.

I've been through two house fires, so I know.

If you are renting..............

get it....Get it....GET IT!.........And GET IT NOW.............

He is so right.but the 2nd important thing is the proper coverage.I found out the hard way I only had UP to $2000 unless I asked for more.WOW that covers my AR--not anything else.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
www.collectinsure.com/

I recently insured all my firearms with this company. 15K in coverage for $65 a year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
A lesson for everyone who doesn't have a safe or a least a security cabinet and insurance. Get one even if you have to sell one of your least favorite firearms. otherwise if you get hit, well it'll suck to be you!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel for your loss. Being robbed sucks big time and makes you think alot. I hope you get your weapons back.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for your loss, I've had items stolen from my car before....so I know how it feels.

Has your apt. complex fixed your alarm yet?  I know it's too late now...but get some of those 100+ DB trip sensors that you can put on your windows & doors.  And put like 3 or 4 on each window & that sliding door if you can.  
Did they lift the door off it's track?  It's a good idea to fill up the gap in the top of the track...long wooden dowels work good.  This will help on sliding windows too.  
If you want to go even further...you could place trip wires  in key points in your place that will set off an alarm hidden in an exterior light fixture or plant.
This doesnt mean you won't get hit...but someone might see the dude if they investigate all the alarms going off.  

Anything you can do to make it harder for a burgular...

well, good luck w/ everything.  
Later
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Track down the serial numbers and give them to the police and some of the pawn shops in your area, depending on where you live. Secondly, get your receipts together and turn in a claim to your insurance company. You should have renters insurance or this may be covered under your parents home owners insurance, depending on thier policy. If you are in school still, or under 25 it may be covered. Its certainly worth looking into. Im sorry to hear about your incident and I hope things work out well for you. Best wishes
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Possibly an inside job?
Apartment maintenance guy perhaps?
Did you have movers move you into your apartment that would have know what kind of goodies you had and what to look for?

Sounds like the cops are pretty much worthless where you are.

Did you have renters insurance?

Are you an NRA member? Automatic coverage for up to something like $2,500 (my numbers could be off).
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
man, i dont even know what to say, I just feel really bad for you. i also have a 2k ar and a sig a .22 and a berrta but no safe. i just think if that happened to me,  i really hope you get your guns back.  and i think im gunna invest in a cheap safe.

good luck
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
That really freaking sucks. I wouldn't rule out an inside job either. I learned the hard way how quickly people can learn of what you have by someone getting drunk and running their mouth off.

Watch the pawn shops in your area. In fact, stop by every day. Also keep documentation of the serial numbers as most pawn shops will not be so willing to let a freshly bought firearm go.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for your loss. It happened to me before, lost a few guns plus a couple of my father's.

First thing I would recommend you to do is to report the serial numbers to the Police.

In my case the burglar got caught by the Police trying to sell the stolen gun.

My father's gun was the one they're trying to sell and my Dad got it and his other gun back, but a few years later when the evidence was no longer needed by the court.

I had a light safe but the burglars drilled and used a crowbar to open it. Now I use a drill resistant safe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn!

Just DAMN!

Danny

Hope you recover your stuff. That would drive me nuts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#12]

I lost a gun to a thief years ago.  I hope he died.

Two things, amigo.

Good quality safe, bolted to the floor

AND

Renter's insurance.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the where ya at  ? also you need to post this on the florida shooters net  put the word out and maybe some one will get unlucky   http://floridashootersnetwork.com/phpbb/portal.php
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Man, that is a nightmare!!!
I guess the best thing that can come from this is for the rest of us to learn a lesson. Every time I get a gun, I take picture of it with my digital camera, and then I record the model number, brief description and serial number.
That way if this ever happens to me, I will be able to provide the information to the police, and also I will be able to provide proof of ownership to the insurance company.

Another good idea is to store the information on your webspace if you have it. Then you can access it even if your house burns down, or you computer gets stolen, etc.

Just a thought, it might not help at all, but maybe it's better than nothing.

Sorry about your loss, but I would definately start over. I can't imagine doing without guns.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]
First of all, sorry about your loss, hope the guy shoots his nutz off. Can you have a dog? I know it's a PITA but a med size dog or larger and a safe makes for a happy owner. I would look at an inside job myself OR someone saw you bring them in. Lot of good suggestions, hit the pawn and gun shops quick so they don't sell before you get there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok my advice is this. Do your own work. The pawn shop idea is ok but they would also have to be buying them illegally. So if you go looking there, they will also mislead you to protect themselves. Put up flyers and a reward ask around, look around. Do the same at your old residence also. If it was an inside Job they might have been seen carrying stuff into there home close to where you used to live. Might be possible.

Keep watch on your apartments, Start taking notes on when and where people hang out
Are they home or away. Then keep an eye out for suspicious persons. Get up during the night and take a walk with a baseball bat in hand. If you find something’s amiss then grab the person and take care of it yourself. Scare the living crap out of them so they don’t come back. I was getting my car broken into or a window broken three to four times in a month at the apartments we lived in. I finally got so mad I put my gun in the neighbors face and pulled back the hammer. I told him this was just a warning and the next time anything happens around here I will pull the trigger. The crime in the area stopped for a very long time after that. The cops can only do so much, but if you are the squeaky wheel you will get more attention. Call the cop(s) every day and bother him about it. He will get so perturbed with you calling it will make him want to find this guy just so you will stop bugging him. This works trust me. If you want your stuff back then you have to do the work. The next best thing to do let it be known that you will be putting the hurt on someone bad if they mess with you. Keep an eye out for the drug dealing going on around you. These people need to know who you are and that you’re a bit nuts maybe even a tad violent. This seems kind of harsh but it works.
I moved into a house in a good area mind you. Things began to happen. Sprinklers and plants got broken, trash, beer cans, cigarette butt’s  left in our planters, stuff like that. Well I found out it was a group of  four 17 year olds in the area. My wife took our dogs for a walk in the nearby field and the same guys chased her down on their dirt bikes and raced close by her and scared her, then laughed and rode off. My neighbors just put up with their crap because of there age. They would call the sheriff and he would always say the same thing. Well know one got hurt so all I can do is talk to them and there parents. I will try to drive by more often. It all came to an end when I searched them out and grabbed the biggest one of them. (Larger than myself) Picked him up and through him to the ground. He bounced twice and then I put my knee on his chest. I told him that I do not call the cops I take care of problems myself. As you can see I will kick the living shit out of you. Then I grabbed him by the neck picked him up and pined him on a tree. Got close to his face and said I want you to call the cops now and get me arrested for putting my hands on you. Then when I get out of jail in thirty days I will kill you. The three other friends of his, watching were just in awe. I let him go and said I never want another problem around here again. The funny thing is now we are all friends. They learned the hard way not every one is intimidated by them.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's what was taken, minus the .45.

http://helios.acomp.usf.edu/~callred/IMG_0091.JPG
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn man.  Not good.  Sorry about your loss!  Thats like loosing a leg.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#19]
they took your cold steel vietnam tommahawk too ?  so you still have the 45  ? dam thats a shame to lose all that even a ak pistol
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#20]
100%, it is someone that lives real close to you. Think of all those times leaving to go shooting and walking out of the door with gun bags, all those eyes. I live near some apartments. When going to my truck, I make sure those lil thugs are not watching me..
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thats too bad.  hopefully you can get something from the apartment for the alarm not working.

So you'd hold the apartment owner liable?!?!?!? WTF kind of logic is that?

How about HOLDING THE ASSHOLE WHO STOLE THEM LIABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next thing, you'll be talking aobut having gun makers liable for accidents............
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thats too bad.  hopefully you can get something from the apartment for the alarm not working.

Next thing, you'll be talking aobut having gun makers liable for accidents............

Well he has a point if you pay for alarm service and they dont do nothing or it does not work.  HELL I would call a layer if that was the case. Good luck finding them. Ods are low finding them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well he has a point if you pay for alarm service and they dont do nothing or it does not work.  HELL I would call a layer if that was the case. Good luck finding them. Ods are low finding them.

Actually, my buddy owns an alarm company. He has to carry insurance in case an alarm fails. You might be able to get something back from the company if the account was up to date and it was reported as not functioning.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]

sorry for your losses--i doubt that you will get em back
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pawn shops are a long shot at best, the thiefs would have to present valid ID to sell the rifles and they are not likely to do that with stolen goods. .... The gun shows in your area would be the best place to start looking.

Check with all the neighbors, they might have seen something. .

... Visit your local range and talk to the owner, manager, range officer and leave a description along with your phone number and the name of the detective on your case in case you cannot be reached and make sure to mention the reward.

Excellent suggestions!!  
Once you get the serial numbers, get the police to put them in the NCIS database.
Print out a clear list, with numbers, description of each weapon with all your contact info
If you approach your local LEO dept professionally they will treat you with deference
Ditto the range - these robbers will either sell the guns or keep them -either way they are illegal-
hence, the range is the only place they can shoot - better than 50% chance they will sell them and show up in a crime or a bust
Get a contact at your local LEO - captain or sargent - touch base every month or so -DONT BE A PIA but show your interest - ya never know -

good luck

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top