Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kitty, I love how you PROVE that the fragmenting 556 is not just a "mouse gun"!

Yeah, five double taps to stop it completely.  Some powerful ammo.

One shot to the head with a 160 grain round nose bullet going 2500 fps out of my 6.5X55 Mannlicher carbine and it would be lights out for Porky.  I'd bet he'd drop on all fours and not even twitch.

The penetrating and expanding power of long, heavy bullets at moderate velocities kills all out of proportion to their paper ballistics.

www.hornady.com/shop/shop_image/product/2640_rif_bul_6.5MM-160_RN_I.jpg

Still, nice hunt KittyKat.  I always enjoy your AARs, even if my weapon of choice is different.
www.cz-usa.com/images/products/17.jpg

You'd better hope so, cuz you probably only get one shot off with that thing.

People have been killing pigs as mean as that one, and even nastier animals like Cape Buffalo, with rifles like mine for well over 100 years.  In fact, you would be amazed at how fast a trained rifleman can pour aimed fire from a BA rifle.

It helps that I compete in highpower with a bolt action, so making fast aimed shots is second nature.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
[SWODaddy:
What's the fun in just one shot, I have hunted & still do w/ .308Win bolt action when required for 15years, it's no fun compared to the carbine, maybe I am more of a shooter than a hunter, I just love the double & triple taps period.  Heck, if  I hunted w/ an .308 AR, I'll still double & triple tap out of intinct, and training, then there goes my meat.

I disagree that twitching is not the same as complete stop, I've shot a 90# doe @ head, head blown off, but it still twitched for about 5 seconds after I got on scene. This boar stopped twitching in a matter of seconds, and  Joe is not going to jump in there & castrate while this 700# boar is still twitching.

I disagree with your shot placement decisions, and let's just leave it at that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:49:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try shooting one with a stick and string.  You only get one shot!  Now that is a challenge

to me thats just plain insane and dumb!  

Wanna see REAL insaneness?

Check out this video:

AFRICA Hunting
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Wanna see REAL insaneness?

Check out this video:

AFRICA Hunting

I'm supprised Mark Sullivan is not dead yet. He has been provoking charges like that for years just to sell videos.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What the $%#$% ?

When was the last time you've hunted?

Boar hiding in the thickets, only shot exposed was a frontal head shot, and he's ready for a charge!  You don't approve of my shot placement, head & neck

You are the best back seat driver bar none !    

Why don't you post some pics and AAR of your hunts, then I'll consider learning from your vast wisdom!

TimSpawn:
That's some wicked hunt video, and I'll never have the balls for that type of hunting, I'm too "girlie man" for that.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the $%#$% ?

Boar hiding in the thickets, only shot exposed was a frontal head shot, and he's ready for a charge!  You don't approve of my shot placement, head & neck

Why don't you post some pics and AAR of your hunts, then I'll consider learning from your vast wisdom!

I am not going to get into a "my pee pee is bigger than yours" argument here.  I would have taken the same shot that you did on that particuler pig under the same circumstances.

But I have noticed this isn't the first time you talk about plugging game in the neck and head, and shooting multiple times.  That is where you and I go different ways.  

Learn to take disagreements like a grown up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the $%#$% ?

I am not going to get into a "my pee pee is bigger than yours" argument here.  I would have taken the same shot that you did on that particuler pig under the same circumstances.

But I have noticed this isn't the first time you talk about plugging game in the neck and head, and shooting multiple times.  That is where you and I go different ways.  

Learn to take disagreements like a grown up.

I mean, there's always two in every crowd.  Why did you have to post that you disagree other than the fact that you'd like to argue with him??  Just leave it alone and you wont stir the pot.  Oh crap, I just went against my own advice.  Oh well. Looked like a quick kill to me.  It dropped him with the first 2 shots.  I'd venture to say that if you send one down through the boiler room with your mannlicher they don't always drop right away.  But of course, you'll probably tell me they all die right as the bullet zings through their chest from that super fancy awesome bullet you have.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:  I disagree with your shot placement decisions, and let's just leave it at that.

I'm not too keen on hunting hogs, especially large hogs like the one pictured with .223, Not that I mind other people doing it, mind you. Just talking personally.
However, I think the shot placement was crucial with the ammunition being used. Secondly, I always shoot for the head on a hog.  Last one I killed, I had to hit it in the head twice with a 30-06, first round at the base of the ear.  Head or neck, I really don't care. But rather hit the head.
Preserve the meat.

And KittyKat, in my part of the world, cutting off the testicles of a boar immediately after the kill is superstition. I've personally never done it, nor anyone in my family line or hunting partners / friends. No problem at all with the meat.  I prefer florida's boar hogs over sows.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Huge hog.  Cool.  

I would use a .308 semi-auto just because I don't want that fucker getting up and goring me.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OK, one way or the other, its probably best to drp it now. The hunting threads always seem to get people arguing over if you should or should not use a AR, where you should or should not shoot etc. Let's leave this one be.

+1

I've read many hunt posts from different forums in my life, and never have seen the CNS shot is the WRONG placement, and criticize about ?   I guess I need to learn from many couch commandos that there's better shot placements than CNS.   Unless the hunter wants a shoulder mount, than head shot is no good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
However, I think the shot placement was crucial with the ammunition being used. Secondly, I always shoot for the head on a hog.  Last one I killed, I had to hit it in the head twice with a 30-06, first round at the base of the ear.  Head or neck, I really don't care. But rather hit the head.
Preserve the meat.

+1, Most true experienced hunters think the same way.

As for cutting testicles, I have heard that it may not do anything, but I like to be safe than eating "Nut smell" meat .  Anyways, my friend already cooked up some the boar meat already, tougher (that's expected) than your smaller boar, but NO nut smell.

SniperX
Thanks, we need to get together sometimes to use w/ your collection AR10s on hogs.

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Man,I just love reading these hunting threads like this.Makes me wanna go piggy hunting more and more.Very nice hog btw.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]
If I'm ever in the area, I'll volunteer to bring the video camera just so I can watch!  Fun stuff.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
you mean you havn't found a way to mount a camera on the S.I.R.

it might throw the balance off a little.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#17]
holy mother of God!
This here New Jersey kid never seen anything like that.
sheeesh. great shooting!
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#18]
great hunting. i have a question though for your hunt.  i grew up on hog farm and i noticed in your picture the left ear on that hog has a triangular cut in it on the bottom and then a smaller one towards the top of the ear.  when a pig is born we would notch there ears like that for records of each litter.  was that hog that you shot a true wild hog or was it released into an area for hunting purposes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice Hog!!!  I can't blame you for shooting until it stopped twitching.  Getting gored by that thing would make for a BAD DAY.

I am actually quite impressed on how the 5.56 rounds performed on that thick skull too.  I have heard of (and witnessed) many hogs shot with bullets that make SWO_daddy's 6.5 look like a pellet gun and STILL bounce off their head.  Most of them were fairly long distance shots.  I live in Texas too but I still have never seen a hog that big... WOW.  Centerville is only about an hour away.  I will have to check into it.

Porky Pig fell to the AR.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
great hunting. i have a question though for your hunt.  i grew up on hog farm and i noticed in your picture the left ear on that hog has a triangular cut in it on the bottom and then a smaller one towards the top of the ear.  when a pig is born we would notch there ears like that for records of each litter.  was that hog that you shot a true wild hog or was it released into an area for hunting purposes.

I would bet that it was a domestic hog that escaped years ago and became feral.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Sweet boar... Why do you cut his nuts off?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sweet boar... Why do you cut his nuts off?

It is common practice here in Florida to catch a hog with dogs and "cut" him. The hog is then released. He gets much bigger and his cutters (tusks as yankees call them) get longer because he doesnt fight with other male hogs. All he does is eat and pack on the pounds. It is no different than "cutting" a bull calf to create a steer. The steer goes to a feed lot out west and is fattened up before being slaughtered. A boar hog stinks. They have a very musky smell. Some are worse than others. If a boar hog is run with dogs or wounded and chased before he is killed the meat won't be as good as it would if he had been dropped with one shot. If the animal is just walking along and you drop him he has had no time to get all worked up, which effects the meat. As far as "cutting" a boar hog after he is dead... I think that is just something that has been done in years past. I dont do it, nobody I know does it. I have not noticed any difference in the taste of the meat, and I have killed many boar hogs here in Florida.    
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Joe traps his own hogs & also buy hogs from trappers from Texas and dumps them on his ranch, as for ears, I am not a rancher or farmer so I don't know. If the ears are true, then I assume it got loose from it's original farm land and became feral, then was trapped by trappers.  I know farm hogs, their cutters are cut for safety issues w/ other hogs & handlers, I maybe wrong on that.

SWOdaddy maybe right on this hog being domestic, escaped when young and became feral, then was trapped by trappers.

As for private hunting ranches, they trap or buy hogs from trappers, free roaming hogs are either hunted by dogs (that's very expensive hunt), or wait near a feeder hoping a hog would come by.

Over the years, I have sat on free roaming leases over feeders, weekends wasted w/ no hogs ever showing up. Many scrupulous free roaming hunt ranches I have hunted, never seen a hog for the duration of hunts over feeders, or stalking, just hog signs   Most will not allow dogs either.

ETA:
Awhile back, there were about 10 Arfcomers did a group hunt on a free roaming hunt outfit near DFW, all came home stating they did NOT see a single hog   Only hog signs, outfits like that usually don't get repeat customers, and I would assume there were lots of dissapointments there

Hope that answers your question.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the advice Charles.  I am very anxious to pick up my first AR and head out to the ranch to give it a try with you.  

Any new school AR owners that have questions should ask Charles.  He is a very nice guy and is willing to give any advice needed.  We spent the end of our workday on friday discussing what I should get and do to my new toy.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Wonder how some of the WOLF SP 154 grain ammo would have worked on that big guy.

NICE!

Ben
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't hunt, but have heard of the concept of a 'clean kill.'  Does that apply here?  And was this what they call a 'canned hunt?'

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#28]
AR15KittyKat

I havent posted on arfcom since may due to my work, but a buddy linked me to this and I must say

Congrats, that is a TROPHY SIZED PIGGIE, if I have ever see one!

What are you going to do, have a sholder mount or skull mount done?

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
AR15KittyKat

I havent posted on arfcom since may due to my work, but a buddy linked me to this and I must say

Thanks Cold, been a while...  I going to have it European mount, already have a couple shoulder mounts, too expensive.

Heard you might be organizing another boar hunt for fella Texans soon, I might join when you have an outfitter chosen.

Quoted:
I don't hunt, but have heard of the concept of a 'clean kill.'  Does that apply here?  And was this what they call a 'canned hunt?'

Thanks.

Ellery, I have seen many hunters shoot w/ bolt action or bow w/ 1 shot, sit in the stand and wait for the animal to die sometime later, is that considered a clean kill?  All my game stopped breathing within seconds, is that considered a quicker kill or clean kill?  Everyone has their point of view on that.

Type of hunts available on most states:
1. Hunt on hunting ranches, from 50-thousands of acres fenced in.
2. Free roaming hunting ranches, sit by feeder or hunt w/ dogs (98% won't allow guns)
3. Own your own land, better have feeders for hogs to come in and pop them.

Quoted:
As for private hunting ranches, they trap or buy hogs from trappers, free roaming hogs are either hunted by dogs (that's very expensive hunt), or on hunting ranches, wait near a feeder hoping a hog would come by to pop them. Unless you own your own land, have feeders, and pop them there.

Over the years, I have sat on free roaming leases over feeders, weekends wasted w/ no hogs ever showing up. Many scrupulous free roaming hunt ranches I have hunted, never seen a hog for the duration of hunts over feeders, or stalking, just hog signs   Most will not allow dogs either.

ETA:
Awhile back, there were about 10 Arfcomers did a group hunt on a free roaming hunt outfit near DFW, all came home stating they did NOT see a single hog   Only hog signs, outfits like that usually don't get repeat customers, and I would assume there were lots of dissapointments there

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AR15KittyKat

Thanks Cold, been a while...  I going to have it European mount, already have a couple shoulder mounts, too expensive.

Heard you might be organizing another boar hunt for fella Texans soon, I might join when you have an outfitter chosen.

Quoted:

Thanks.

Ellery, I have seen many hunters shoot w/ bolt action or bow w/ 1 shot, sit in the stand and wait for the animal to die sometime later, is that considered a clean kill?  All my game stopped breathing within seconds, is that considered a quicker kill or clean kill?  Everyone has their point of view on that.

2. Free roaming hunting ranches, sit by feeder or hunt w/ dogs (98% won't allow guns)

Quoted:
As for private hunting ranches, they trap or buy hogs from trappers, free roaming hogs are either hunted by dogs (that's very expensive hunt), or on hunting ranches, wait near a feeder hoping a hog would come by to pop them. Unless you own your own land, have feeders, and pop them there.

ETA:

Yes and no, after the last Hunt, I was some what disolutioned, however, I have been able to do alot of investigative work this summer, long story, and have in my free time, done some searching for a new outfitter, I am indeed going to put a hog hunt again togeather for the AR group, it was alot of fun just going out on a leasurly sunday afternoon hunting with ARs.  Anyways, I will be working on it for say mid to late oct when the weather cools down a bit, although you did score a massive porker in the summer heat...

Anyways, again, very nice going, Im impressed to say the least.

ETA wow i didnt even see the last part of your post, yep I was the guy who did the org on the hog hunt in the spring, we hunted south of DFW bout 50 mins and we saw no wild hogs, only one was a caged hog, possibly caged for some time, anyways, I would have to agree, there are the right ways to hunt them and there are some wrong ways, read and ask questions and I guess just go, cuz ya dont know, if ya dont go, best thing I have learned since I have been hunting all these years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Cold,

It would be great if you found an outfitter w/ honest potential hogs, that can handle 10 hog hungry AR totin gun slingers, hopefully affordable too... I am in

I know the Langley ranch can't handle a 10man group hunt, he & sons probably can only handle about 5 shooters at one time, but I know some ARFcomers considers private hunting ranches fee too high.  

In my research for hunts, some free roaming ranches in Texas even charges $250 for hunts and no guarantee you'll see hogs, so the fee just to be on their land
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Cold,

It would be great if you found an outfitter w/ honest potential hogs, that can handle 10 hog hungry AR totin gun slingers, hopefully affordable too... I am in

I know the Langley ranch can't handle a 10man group hunt, he & sons probably can only handle about 5 shooters at one time, but I know some ARFcomers considers private hunting ranches fee too high.  

In my research for hunts, some free roaming ranches in Texas even charges $250 for hunts and no guarantee you'll see hogs, so the fee just to be on their land

If you ever find a group hunt going on in the DFW area send me a message. I'd show up pronto w/ a bag of ammo and camo in the trunk...Haven't been hunting yet.

ben
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It shows you're from Texas, the state with no public land.

There's a fourth option open to residents of almost all states: hunt public land.  It can suck, or it can be awesome.  Depends where you are and how far away from the truck you hike.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Damnnnnn!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#36]
hock.gifOMG!!!  It IS true what they say about everything being bigger in Texas! Congratulations on a fine trophy! I am soooooooo jealous! My biggest has only been about 200 lbs.

I live about 30 miles southwest of San Antonio in the small town of Devine and this area out here is absolutely overrun with wild hogs. I bet I know at least 10 or 12 guys around here that hunt year round. Myself included. This past year me, my buddy, and his wife either shot or trapped at least 40. That's just on a field used for planting peanuts that's about 50 acres. Only problems down here is they are so used to being hunted that they won't move much in the daytime and they get trap shy pretty quick. Most of the guys go hunting with dogs. We would either go spotlighting or break out his mini-14 with his Pantera night vision scope. Now that I have my new Bushmaster with my new D-740 night vision scope I'm sure that number will double this year!

Again, congratulations!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey hogwild, we are in Hondo TX.  We need to get together and do some machine gun shootin.

Hogs or no hogs, it is piles of fun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top