User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a couple weeks shy of my 36th birthday and my right ear has been ringing since about 1989. My left one has started ringing a bit recently. I shoot left-handed and my right ear seemed to always catch the most hell. Granted I have been using hearing protection since I first started shooting, but sometimes I would just use plugs and when it is cold out they don't fill your ear canal enough to block the noise. Some guys try to be tough and make fun of others for using hearing protection, but it's ridiculous not to use it. Playing drums in a band and all those Ozzy and Metallica concerts in the 80's attributed to my hearing woes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm a couple weeks shy of my 36th birthday and my right ear has been ringing since about 1989. My left one has started ringing a bit recently. I shoot left-handed and my right ear seemed to always catch the most hell. Granted I have been using hearing protection since I first started shooting, but sometimes I would just use plugs and when it is cold out they don't fill your ear canal enough to block the noise. Some guys try to be tough and make fun of others for using hearing protection, but it's ridiculous not to use it. Playing drums in a band and all those Ozzy and Metallica concerts in the 80's attributed to my hearing woes.

I would venture to say it was the music and not the guns if you use hearing protection. As far as ear plugs go that is all I use in my job to protect my hearing from gunfire. I am 29 and just had a hearing test yesterday for SRP and had all 0's and 5's... except for one 10 and a 15 (first time for a 15 on a hearing test for me) I think my 15 might have been due to flying around the day before in a Blackhawk with no hearing protection.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
FYI; sound disapation is a linear equasion. If you have ear plugs that have a 25db rating (example), and you have headphones that have a 32db rating (example), you have 32db of protection. NOT 57db of protection.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
FYI; sound disapation is a linear equasion. If you have ear plugs that have a 25db rating (example), and you have headphones that have a 32db rating (example), you have 32db of protection. NOT 57db of protection.

Muffs and plugs is usually about 3db more protection than plugs alone. Plugs are also usually more effective.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK,OK, let's hear from the guy who was next to the 105mm howitzer at the indoor range...

How about 155mm and the number 2 cannoneer thought "20" on the fuze setting meant "2.0"?

Ouch.

At least it was charge 7 WB.

Someday the VA is going to be paying for that...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Never shot an MP5SD, have you? Bring a spare pair of shorts, I guarantee you'll cream yourself.

Speaking of creaming, I find the quiet, gentle nature of my MP5SD makes the women and girls love to shoot it but it's a double edged sword - those characteristics eliminate the jiggle factor.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top