Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 2:17:21 PM EDT
I need a favor from anyone who owns a Bushmaster XM15 and one of those fancy digital cameras.

Can you take a picture of the front of the magazine well and post it.

I've only owned Colts, but just bought a new Bushmaster XM15E2S-A3. The lower receiver is finished perfectly except the flared lip that goes around the base of the magazine well has a 1/8-inch bump/hump located at the front-center. Bushmaster said it is on all ARs, but it's sure not on any of my Colts.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=80391&c=529&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/080391.JPG[/img][/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
That is the forging gap.  When I machine a lower I always sand it smooth on the front of the mag well, on the back below the buffer tube support, and under the trigger well.

Most commercial manufacturors can't afford the time required to do that, however.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Varmitgun: Thanks for the quick response. That picture is just what I needed.

NevadaARshooter: After seeing the picture above it's easy to see what the bump/hump is. Not to start another Colt verses Bushmaster war, I will say I think Colt spends a little more time during the finishing process. On my Colts that hump/bump is not there and the Bolt, Bolt  carrier, and Handguards are finished a little better too. I guess that's the reason they cost $100-150 more.

Don't get me wrong - other than those parts listed above the Busmaster is evey bit as good as my Colts. It shoots great, and I haven't had any malfunctions, and a big plus for the Bushmaster is the chrome lined chamber and bore. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Thanks for the help guys [:)]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Cosmetic Imperfections are inevitable(common) due to the large number of rifles Bushamster produces.

Having said that, I have NO bump/hump on either of the Bushys I've owned.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top