Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 6:01:22 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban Bushmaster M17S that has not been modified with the new "upgrades" Bushmaster offers for $100. As I understand it, the "upgrades" are a way of getting the consumer to pay for part of a design flaw found after many M17S were sold?

Bushmaster says it’s an upgrade where you are getting nearly $300 of parts for only $100. I personally do not want the "upgrades" but am concerned that the original design of my Bushmaster M17S may have safety concerns. The "updated" M17S looks like there are rivets along the left hand side opposite the ejection port opening. My concern lies with that change, for does it indicate a safety problem with the original design? My cheek lies against that area, and I sure do not want to shoot the thing if there is any possible problem with this area. Does anyone out there have any experiences or opinions on this?

A ways back I did put a post in the Bushmaster Industry Forum, but I feel I received a standard reply from Bushmaster that there is absolutely no problem with the original design, but the offer was so I could obtain $300 of parts for $100. Something just does not sound right.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry Troy,

I did not read your post above that only AR discussions in this area. Please feel free to lock or delete.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Snake, the articles and reviews I have read said that the upgrades were for reliability and accuracy. I think the rivets are for receiver rigidity and stability, making the rifle more accurate, but do not affect safety as the bolt still locks into battery the same way on both pre and post ban. Bushmaster is very safety conscious-they already have their fill of frivolous lawsuits because of the DC sniper, they don't want any more.

I would hang on to it, whether you upgrade it or not. It is a sure bet that the next round of anti-gun legislation will ban the M17S  by name along with all bullpup designs. And with gunsmiths/M17S gurus like Kurt's Kustom Firearms around, you can always keep it looking good! I would ask Kurt's opinion if you are worried about it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are not rivets. They are bolts for the carrier rail. On the updated guns they do not have a built in rail. The main problem with the early M17s was the takedown pins and thier related slotted holes in the upper. The pins walk allowing the upper to lift slightly and getting intermittant burst fire. I've got 1 @ Bushmaster being upgraded and 1 waiting for its sibling, then it goes. HTH
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top