Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2003 6:25:42 PM EDT
I'm replacing my stock trigger with a A S trigger. Should I replace my stock pins with KNS locking pins (are they any good) or some other aftermarket pins, or stick with my stock pins. And should I do the same with the springs or leave them stock. Let me know what you guys think thanks
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That's exactly what I did..., AS trigger & KNS locking pins.  It's an awesome setup!!!

It seems like KNS could have made the "Anti-Spin Retainers" a little flatter(Thinner) but it's a great way to go, and the KNS gives the rifle a custom look!!

As far as the Accuracy Speaks trigger goes..., all I can say is.....WOW....what a trigger!!

"Precision Simplicity"

I used the factory springs with no problem!!

RU4FREEDOM -- out
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I used my original pins. Works fine.

Preserves that "factory" look.[;)]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
SINGLE stage trigger ??

5sub
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I think aftermarket pins are totally unnecceary! unless you are building a match rifle and you want to really tighten up the trigger!  or unless you have a FA that gets a lot of use?  How many revs do you figure a stock pin does on a 1000 rds ?!

You might want to check with AS though as some folks have reported a requirement to use an AS pin or something!  I have 2 that use the stock pins!

!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the suggestion to use locking pins was because the AS hammer doesn't have the J-pin that keeps the pin from moving.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Stock pins and springs on my AS trigger.  No problems.  It rules.  Best mod I ever made.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SINGLE stage trigger ??
View Quote

Yeah, SINGLE stage...

I would just use the stock pins unless they are loose in your receiver.  You definitely do not want loose pins, but hammering in oversized pins is not necessary unless the hole is widened already, or you are just fanatic about the trigger action to the nth degree.  I think that after hammering the oversized pins into in spec holes will just drive you a lot farther down that road to enlarged pin holes.

Edited to clarify, you would not have to "hammer" in the pins if the holes were out of spec in the first place.  They may be tight with just stock pins in which case I would not enlarge the holes with oversized pins (what for if they are already tight?).  If they are not tight, then by all means, use the larger pins.  This is one of those - don't fix what ain't broke deals unless it is truly required in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
The AS trigger [b]does[/b] have a retention pin inside the hammer!  Anybody who says differently has never looked through one. It clicks into the groove on the hammer pin just like a j-pin on a standard trigger.

The beautiful stainless steel KNS slightly oversized pins (measuring .1553 in. instead of .154 in std.) that I bought at Brownells fit [i]my[/i] Bushmaster receiver PERFECTLY with NO play at all in the receiver, but not needing to be forced in either.

With those pins there's no pin rotation with either pin.  Before, with standard pins, my trigger pin used to rotate but the hammer pin didn't (using the AS trigger group).

The .1553 hammer pin is more difficult to go through the AS hammer (is tight as it passes by the internal spring pin), and I had to use a standard disconnector instead of the AS disconnector (something I wanted to do anyway) because the AS disconnector pin hole wasn't big enough to let the pin pass through.

This combination of parts works beautifully for me.  Your milage (and dimensional tolerances) may vary.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:46:53 AM EDT
[#9]
someone have some links for as triggers?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I stand corrected.  I don't have an AS trigger, but I'm sure I read on here that it didn't have the J-pin.  Maybe it's a recent change.

Link for AS trigger:
[url=http://www.accuracyspeaks.com/parts.htm]Accuracy Speaks[/url]
[url=http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=237&title=AR-15+DROP-IN+COMPETITION+TRIGGER+SYSTEM]Brownell's[/url]

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Ellery_Holt

"The AS trigger does have a retention pin inside the hammer! Anybody who says differently has never looked through one."

Mine des not.  And anybody who says differently has never looked through mine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#12]
New trigger pins are VERY important to the first stage feel of a 2 stage trigger.  They mean MUCH less in a single stage trigger but if your pins do wobble or roll when manipulating the trigger they will help feel and consistancy somewhat.

In a 2 stage trigger the first stage feel is mostly the pin quality and fit and not the trigger.

On a single stage trigger the feel comes almost entirely from the quality and fit of the trigger itself.  The trigger quality is also what determines how cleanly the 2 stage trigger will break.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with Ellery__Holt

The KNS pins also fit perfectly in my Colt!!

I installed the AC Trigger Group, shot it for a month or so and it was SWEET......,then I discovered & installed the KNS pins....., now it's SUPER-SWEET!!  
 There was definately a noticable improvement after putting in the KNS pins....., absolulely no........movement other than a ultra crisp break!!!!

Like most modifications..., the KNS pins are NOT a "necessity"...., but they sure are a step in the right direction for the shooter who dosen't mind dropping a couple of extra bucks to bring their AR just a little closer to perfection!!!

To answer Curt's question:

"How many revolutions do your pins make in 1,000 rounds?"

I would have to say it would equal about 1,500 revolutions per pin.  3/4 rev. forward & 3/4 rev. back, each pin, for each round fired!!!

It adds up when your talking precision..., and I think precision is what a lot of us are after!!

RU4FREDOM -- out
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ellery_Holt

"The AS trigger does have a retention pin inside the hammer! Anybody who says differently has never looked through one."

Mine des not.  And anybody who says differently has never looked through mine.
View Quote

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~tportinga/blackeye.gif[/img]

Oops. Sorry.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top