Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 4:46:54 PM EDT
This is an odd question, so plez bare with me. This is for SHTF scenerios.

I have an AR that has about 2000rds through it, can I buy a BrandNew bolt (not full carrier, jus a complete bolt(head)) and put it in my Carrier and it will run fine.??

Should I buy a new bolt and rotate it with the existing bolt to get them both meshed with the rifle better?

What is the issues with Lockup etc.?

I understand that there may be problem with old bolt from one AR goin into another old AR. but what about new bolt? thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:28:37 PM EDT
I thought everyone kept a spare bolt in their SHTF BOB? Should be fine, I wouldn't bother swapping them back and forth in case you get another rifle. That way it can be a spare for either one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:33:15 PM EDT
Yeah thats cool, be nice to hear from others???
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:48:25 PM EDT
You should be able to, but get a set of headspace gauges, and test the chamber when you switch over.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:49:50 PM EDT
A new bolt in an older barrel will be a decrease in headspace. I've got 3 brand new Bushmaster bolts for just the purpose you're thinking about... SHTF... they're kept new should the need ever arise. I do occasionally check headspace on all my AR's and I include the new bolts and the new complete bolt carrier assemblies during the check. I would never have any concern dropping one of the new bolts or the new complete assemblies into one of the AR's... If you're using Colt or Bushmaster bolts you won't even have to think about headspace... keep 'em new, just in case... [;)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2003 2:59:52 PM EDT by Sgt_Gold]
Originally Posted By die-tryin: I have an AR that has about 2000rds through it, can I buy a BrandNew bolt (not full carrier, jus a complete bolt(head)) and put it in my Carrier and it will run fine.??
2000 rounds isn't enough to cause excess wear. A new bolt should work without any headspace issues.
Should I buy a new bolt and rotate it with the existing bolt to get them both meshed with the rifle better?
That's a good idea because you break in the new bolt to the weapon you're using it in.
What is the issues with Lockup etc.?
None.
I understand that there may be problem with old bolt from one AR goin into another old AR. but what about new bolt? thanks
View Quote
You hit the nail onthe head. Swaping used bolts is a SHTF only scenario. Using a new one in a lightly used rifle isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:59:41 AM EDT
Thanks, this is the answers i was looking for. I went to the range and had major FTEject, well there really isnt a simple quick easy way to get the tiny roll pin out and mess with it, I have those spare parts now, but would like to get a complete bolt head to throw in , if needed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:35:27 AM EDT
Why would you need to keep a spare bolt? I've put thousands of rounds through both my Bushmaster and Rock River and have had no problems with the bolt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:39:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Paradude54: Why would you need to keep a spare bolt? I've put thousands of rounds through both my Bushmaster and Rock River and have had no problems with the bolt.
View Quote
The big reason is so that if you have some kind of issue in a SHTF scenario, you can swap bolts until you can get time to look into the malfunction. Kind of the same reason you carry spare mags with a CCW pistol. It's not about extra ammo so much as it's about quick malfunction clearing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:18:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Paradude54: Why would you need to keep a spare bolt? I've put thousands of rounds through both my Bushmaster and Rock River and have had no problems with the bolt.
View Quote
You're right, of course. The chances of needing a spare are about one in a million. The chances of wearing one out are prctically zip---if you're using a Colt or GI contract piece (I won't comment on aftermarket bolts 'cause I don't use 'em). However, the possibility of breaking something, like an ejector spring, are a bit less than that. Maybe one in a hundred thousand. Still pretty safe, but maybe worth keeping a spare around. Sure as hell wouldn't spend a lot tho, to do so. I bought a batch of 5 very well used GI surp Viet Nam era bolts a few years back, for $15 apiece. Every one of them checked out fine in every one of my ARs. Three of them now reside in three of my 5 ARs; sold one off, and the last one is in my spares box. Don't expect I'll ever have to use it; but for $15, I can afford to play it super safe. If they'd been $50, I'd have saved my money. [:D]'
Top Top