Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 5:07:58 PM EDT
In the opinion of this esteemed court, is there any reliability value in using a chromed bolt/carrier assembly (such as the Les Baer), or in using a stainless bolt/carrier assembly (as available from JP Rifles)???
Would these parts be in the same category as a chrome plated dip-stick for your car?
Thanks!
-WhiteFox
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, not needed. Might also cause undo wear on the upper reciever.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Now this is just my $0.02 but the Chromed bolt carrier is just a waste of money because the out side of the carrier doesn't get a lot of wear in which chrome helps prolong life.  Only get chromed if your going for the "bling" effect (pretty look).   Now for Stainless... same goes.  No weight difference from the stock carrier/bolt.  Now if you were looking for weight reduction i'd look into the aluminum carriers out there.

I don't see the reliability factor.  Think about how many rounds go through a Army/Marine m16 w/ a stock carrier/bolt.  How many times do they change the carrier or the carrier fails... not many at all.

The one thing i would stay away from is Titanium parts.  Just because Ti is stronger than steel doesn't make it as impact resistant as steel.  Ti has been known to flake (thus causing jams)

once again just my $0.02
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I broke a couple of chrome bolts in my old DPMS AR. I'm sure DPMS has them straightened out by now, but I'm unwilling to try another one (or a chrome carrier) until someone convinces me otherwise.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Reliability? No.  Looks, corrosion resistance, and ease of cleaning - yes.  I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some sort of bug-a-boo yearning.  The standard carriers will serve you well.

I must add, since you mentioned the Les Baer in particular, that they are very, very well finished and are one of the heaviest carriers out there and may add reliability due to the weight aspect.

The stainless job from JP is too new for me to know much about and I haven't heard more than one report.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top