Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 10:40:43 PM EDT
Hello all-
After lurking here for a couple of months, I have finally decided to take the plunge and see what I have been missing! I have pretty much decided on a RRA A4 with 16" barrel. I was looking at ADCO as they seem to have pretty good prices and service per what I have read here. The question I have is in regards to a price difference between a complete rifle and buying a complete upper and lower. There is about a $110.00 increase for the complete rifle. Is there a reason behind this or am I simply paying for somebody else to put the two halves together? Could the complete rifle have a better finish match? Tighter fit? So, give the newbie your opinions. Buying seperate a good way to save some money, yes or no? Thanks for the thoughts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
buy it separate.  as long as they're both RRA it'll be fine.  spend the extra cash on some mags or a case of ammo.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:06:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Seen only good things on RRA!  Welcome  AKTKH
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#3]
You can find almost everything you need in the EE.

That's the only place I buy my mags from.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a Federal Excise Tax on firearms.  I believe that the two halves are parts and do not constitute a complete firearm, therefore no tax.  I believe it is an iffy proposition to buy both halves at the same time, you would be buying a complete firearm yet avoiding the tax.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a Federal Excise Tax on firearms.  I believe that the two halves are parts and do not constitute a complete firearm, therefore no tax.  I believe it is an iffy proposition to buy both halves at the same time, you would be buying a complete firearm yet avoiding the tax.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.
View Quote

you are correct.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can find almost everything you need in the EE.

That's the only place I buy my mags from.
View Quote

Roger that!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
you can buy the upper and lower seperately and skip the FET. The catch is that you can only legally sell the two items seperately.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I think all the complete rifles come with their 2-stage trigger.  There is about a $75 between a complete lower with a 2 stage and one with the standard.  So you are paying maybe about $30 extra considering the 2 stage trigger.  Plus, you get a lifetime waranty on the whole rifle, which I don't think you get with putting the upper and lower together (not totally sure).

edited for sounding repetetive
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top