Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 12:11:30 PM EDT
Non modified, out of the box.  What are the best upgrades to start with?  
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated to begin the journey of AR dedication.
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Non modified, out of the box.  What are the best upgrades to start with?
View Quote

That is easy - you need to upgrade the nut behind the stock.

[size=5]YOU[/size=5]

Get into a good carbine class, that will tell you more about what you need than asking around.  You'll get to see (and try) what works and what doesn't first hand.

And at the same time you'll be greatly improving your skills.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
lots of ammo and mags! Congrats on the new rifle and welcome to the site [:)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
He can't have an AR with magazines he lives in California (unless he registered it prior to Y2K and its just been hiding in his closet).
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the site!  (And the addiction. [:D])

Get some good condition USGI mags.  I'd start in the EE (Equipment Exchange on this board).

Learn how to properly maintain that fine weapon and go shoot it.  Advice regarding a class is good, but not necessary until you're at least a little familiar with the rifle.

Introduce yourself to the other local shooters in your area in your Hometown forum (see the little Hometown button in the upper right?).  You'll meet some good guys and gals in your area that can show you things first hand if you need help or want advice.  Plus, they'll have other cool toys for you to try.  [;)]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He can't have an AR with magazines he lives in California (unless he registered it prior to Y2K and its just been hiding in his closet).
View Quote

I missed that one.  What can a CA shooter do for mags then?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome! Beautiful weapon youve got there. take good care of it and it will take good care of you! enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry.  Not all together there sometimes.
Oregon folks, Oregon.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I missed that one.  What can a CA shooter do for mags then?
View Quote

Two choices:
1) DPMS single shot lower (no magazine well)

2) Go-Go Gadgets post ban lower with built in fixed 10 round magazine. (you have to break open the rifle like a shotgun to load it).
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oregon folks, Oregon.
View Quote

OK... now that we've solved that... do as Forest suggests... upgrade you, the rest will come in time...

Welcome to the addiction!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#10]
All you need is some range time and some ammo.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oregon folks, Oregon.
View Quote

Ok now that that is fixed.

Upgrade you - but you will need some USGI magazines to get you through the course.

Ammoman.com has a sale right now on a variety of USGI magazines.

Once you get some training you'll know what you need.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd purchased the same rifle,changed it up a little. [:D]

[IMG]http://www.metrophotohost.com/gallery_0010/gallery_albums/TGs-LBV-~-MBR-~-Etc/ForendgriponAR.jpg[/IMG]

Now its A2M4, with 16" barrel.

TG

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I am very familiar with all types of tools of the trade, just not the AR.  When I was at the BIG SHOW in Reno last weekend, they had a billion different top ends and grips and blah, blah, blah.  Should I be looking for anything along thos lines now.
Who makes the best sling?  I know it is stupid but always a good place to start.
Thaks for all the input!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Snag up a standard web sling, a USMC M-16A2 technical manual, and lots of ammo.

Aside from that, you're set. You have got a fine rifle as it is.

Although, if you want to upgrade it, it would help to know what exactly you're after.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Jarnson,

Having been in your position, not to terribly long ago, I would say to do not as I have done.  Keep your wallet in your pocket, for a while.

You did not say what your uses would be for the rifle, but I would suggest that you shoot the living heck out of it, the way that you intend to use it, and then decide what you might want.  I would then do a LOT of research on what upgrade that you are thinking about, then spend your cash.  There are more accessories out there than you can imagine, and a lot are great additions, depending on what you want to do with the rifle.  IMHO, the last thing that you want to do is add some accessory that you see sitting in a gun shop, or that you might have some "expert" at a gun show talk you into. Unless of course you are independently wealthy, and have a high tolerance for frustration.  One thing nice about this and other forums, is that you can learn a lot, and there are enough folks here that know BS when they see (hear) it. Learn to shoot the basic weapon, and your needs, if any, should become apparent.

Craig  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top