Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2003 11:30:15 AM EDT
I'm considering putting a free float tube on my BM 16"  carbine.  

What type of accuracy improvement is reasonable to expect when installing a float tube?

What are some of the best lower-priced tubes?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't really think it is about fundamental accuracy improvement..rather it helps prevent external forces from shifting your barrel's POI as a result.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
MaverickMkii,

Well said.  I agree.  So let's say you're shooting a match and using a window ledge prop as a improvised rest -  is there much of a difference between resting on regular handguards (obviously not the barrel) or a float tube?  Will the change in POI (if any) be less because you have a float tube?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, if your rifle is intended for match/competition, everything will count, including the force from your sling, bipod and so on. Especially if you are using any device that connects to the fore-end/barrel area of rifle.

For combat-accurate shooting, this isn't really required unless you attach a lot of crap (thats a whole different story) but for match shooting where 1/10s inch counts, sure, you sure will be happy to do everything to "MINIMIZE" the factors that would hindle your accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
They say a floating hand guard is the single easiest and most effective way to increase accuracy for AR type rifles.

I put the Hogue Overmolded on my 16" Colt-MTC H-BarII

But if I do it again I will probably go with a vented style tube!!

If your using good optics..., you should be able to cut your group size in half by switching to a floater!!!  I went from 1 MOA to .5 MOA. And then after installing an Accuracy Speaks Trigger Group I now pretty regularly shoot .375 MOA with an ocational .25 MOA group!! (with Hand Loads.., of course!!)

Do the floater..., you won't regret it!  But make sure you install any sling and/or bipod studs you'll need before you complete the final assembly...., they are a real bear to install afterwards!!!!

Hope this helps!!   RU4FREEDOM.....out
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top