Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 11:18:57 AM EDT
How hard is it. It seems there are tools you need to buy to remove this grip. It lookslike a clam shell design from drawings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
It can be done without the tool.
Depress the delta ring and side out.
The tool just makes it a heck of a lot easier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
So I take it its a PITA to remove if they are selling tools to remove it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The tools make it easier, but they aren't necessary.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Manuals decribe it as a 2 person job.  One person to hold down the delta ring while the other person removes the handguards.  This is especially true with handguards that have never been removed.

With that said, I've been able to take off all my handguards by myself with a bit of optimism, sweat, some blood when my hands slipped, and the will not be beat by a pair of plastic handguards. [:D]

I'm sure the tool will make it easier, and maybe down the road I'll pick one up, but for 20 bucks, I rather buy ammo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
anyone have some tried and true way to take them off?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Place the buttstock on a hard surface, or with the buttplate on your thigh. Pull the delta ring down. Pull the handguards off one at a time. It takes some effort, but it seems to be the way. I have had no issues with this method on any AR-15 despite my small arms, and laziness.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If you study the design of the tool, you can easily make one from some plywood and three 1/4" steel rods.  If I ever get off my lazy posterior and get the camera, I just might post some pics.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I found my rifle handguards are easier to take off than carbine handguards. I can take off my rifle's handguard alone just fine, but can't seem to do that with carbine.

You don't need the tool unless you do it more than 5 times a day.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top