Posted: 10/15/2003 6:48:40 PM EDT
ARMS #45 or #46
Which do you prefer and why?

some coparitive pics would be nice too

Is the c or m model favored?

thanks for the input

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
i have the 46C.  i went with the slimline cuz i don't need the extra beef on there.  c model cuz it'll be easier to take it off and sell the upper when i buy a new one (will still have the delta ring on it).  i believe more people are probably buying the C models than the M.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/058568.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had to choose between the 2, it would be the #46, but if it were a choice between any SIR, it would be the #50 Bi-level, slim line, SIR. Its cheaper, lighter and the best system in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#3]
newarguy could you offer any more insight as to why the #50 bi level slimline would be the best system,

the rig it will go on is going to have an aimpoint, vert grip and tac light, right know I like the #46 slimline the best but would consider the #50 if there are more advantages to it

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought the 46C.  The person who sold it to me explained that the only advantage of the bi-level was if you wanted to co-witness an EOtech.  He also mentioned that in military applications there is a post on the 46 that "something" attaches to which is desireable.  Sorry I'm not a military weapons expert so I'm not really sure what it was, maybe a laser, and the specifics have been lost in my memory.  If you get the bi level you can add the top rail back which will give the same single level rail options as the 46.  If I were to repeat the process I would go with the bi-level.  I think you will get more options from the bi-level...but thats just my opinion.  I still like my 46 just fine though.  It works.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
if any SIR go with the #50...
It's the most versatile of all SIR systems....With the other SIRs you're narrowing yourself down to what you can put on it. I got mine from EagleFirearms, on the EE and he as a sale on them right now! (very good value)
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The difference between the #50 and 46 is the ability to co-witness an EOTech on the 50.  The 46 can only mount a PEQ2, foward of the top/receiver rail.  The 50 leaves you the ability to mount anything that can mount on the 1913 rail foward of the receiver, ie. more options.  That's probably why NewARGuy's recommending the 50, don't want to speak for him.  I'd go the 50 rte also.
Unless you intend to use the PEQ family of laser target designators, I'd get the 50, it might be easiee to unload should you choose to, as few civvies have need for a "dedicated" PEQ mt.

luck, S2
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The PEQ lasers work fine on any of the SIR's but if he isn't military or Fed agent it doesn't mater as only they can buy those lasers, new ones any way.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
#46 or 50. I like them both.
As for C vs M, I like the looks of the M better, but, the C model will allow you to put regular handguards back on, should something happen to the SIR. That way your rifle wouldnt be out of action while the SIR is repaired or replaced.

The #50 C is a really good all around setup.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are going Aimpoint and you know thats all you want, the #46 will be just fine. It will give you an uniturrupted, continuous top rail to mount the Aimpoint at any point from the rear site to the front site.

I really dont think the #50 is any better, I think its equally as good, just slightly different. If it were me, I would pick the #50 regaurdless of what optic I would be using. If I were putting an Aimpoint on it, I doubt I would mount it ahead of the top rail anyway, and if I did, I would just get a spacer for the aimpoint mount. On top of this, the #50 is cheaper.

I've built guns with either system, the only time I used the #46 is when I was unable to obtain the #50. ARMS was out of them for about a month or so a couple months back. I got the SIR system when it first came out. I bought the M model because I erroneously thought it mounted to the rifle more solidly. So now my gun has no delta ring. If I were able, I would replace my #45m with a #50 tomorrow. But putting a delta ring back on my rifle is more trouble than its worth the the permanently attached Vortex. So I'll stick with the wider, heavier, #45. Really, the differences between them all are slight, you wont be sorry either way you go.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top