Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2003 7:38:37 PM EDT

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
wow! very cool! [:)]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow looks great! Kinda like a winter/desert scheme, eh? Whodunit??
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
that is ABSOLUTELY BAD A$$ !!!! ... im going to guess lauer custom weaponry did it ... they are GOOD .. others are good to .. only lauer comes to mind ....

oh once you say who did it .. if it wasnt YOU .. please advise of pics .. id LOVE to have my colt sporter II done up that way .. only in NY woodland camo .. thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Must be a nice camo job.  I can't see any rifle at all.  

[:D]

CJ

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
It was me, I did it!

All Lauer paint, clearcoat needs to be added yet.

The scheme is a hack between desert and "Predator", kinda made it up as I went along.

If interested in having something created, IM me!  Work with gunsmith FFL, so xfers aren't an issue.

here are a couple others:
Tattoo's:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=41058&iGalleryUnq=1034&iImageUnq=16098[/img]

For me, a 6 color desert with too many spots (winterflage, south dakota)
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=41058&iGalleryUnq=1034&iImageUnq=17608[/img]

Need construction site camo, another one of mine.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=41058&iGalleryUnq=1034&iImageUnq=17607[/img]

Something in Pink for the ladies (Gloftoe's Wife's 9mm AR)
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=41058&iGalleryUnq=1034&iImageUnq=17463[/img]

There are a few more in "brasspile's paint work" on the photo server.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]
That is sweet.  Good job.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]
pretty damn cool!

2 questions:

ever thought about something like outfitter brown or mossy oak break-up?  (two cam patterns i use in the field regularly).

how does it do over wood?  im thinking about my izh-27 o/u i use for gobblers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#8]
meltdown, I'm very impressed with your painting skills.  Do you bake on the paint?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I have to admit that when the pic first came up, my eyes were momentarily confused.  Fantastic job!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice indeed.  And i thought i did a good job now i have to tear mine apart again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#11]
brasspile did it on the cheap for gunstock funds

I couldn't do that myself. He didn't bake it on becuase he doesn't have an oven (yet)

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
2 questions:

ever thought about something like outfitter brown or mossy oak break-up?  (two cam patterns i use in the field regularly).
View Quote

I thought about it but sometimes you gotta be original. I believe this will be effective. I'll have brass post pics in an outside setting when the clear coat dries.

how does it do over wood?  im thinking about my izh-27 o/u i use for gobblers.
View Quote

That picture of the handi rifle on the rock is a wood stock. The stuff seems pretty durable and scratch resistant.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Meltdown,  

Did you buy a kit from Lauer that included an airbrush, or did you buy one seperately?

Either way, which one did you get?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meltdown,  

Did you buy a kit from Lauer that included an airbrush, or did you buy one seperately?

Either way, which one did you get?
View Quote

I painted meltdown's AR. (brass)

I use a HVLP car detail gun for large areas, and a Badger 150 Airbrush for smaller areas.

Medium sized air compressor (8CFM@40psi), 2 good line dryers, and a regulator.

The AR above was done with HVLP on large areas, and airbrush for the black 'sticks'

Most all designs are freehand, to keep soft edges.

Here is an excellent article Camoflage Study
[url=http://whitetail.com/camo1.html]Effective Camoflage - Predator[/url]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
That Milwaukee photo is fantastic!  That backdrop is really the icing on the cake.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I painted meltdown's AR...
View Quote

Well done, brasspile! :)
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
brasspile,

That 6-color "chocolate chip" desert camo job is the best "ametuer" camo job I've seen to date.  I'm very impressed.  If you don't mind the feedback, though, I recommend making the patterns a little larger with a bit more of the light tan background visible.  Still, excellent job!  We may have to talk...

-Troy
View Quote

I did the choco chip 60% for 'look pretty' and 40% for 'use'.  Thanks for the input!

The ones I posted above will be present at GunStock, hope to chat with you, I will bring a notepad. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#19]
The "Milwaukee" is truely fantastic!

Nice!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is meltdown's PCR-1 with the clearcoat (all done).

Going to get a pic of it in South Dakota environment after gunstock.  (there is nothing green here. [:D])

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=41058&iGalleryUnq=1034&iImageUnq=18010[/img]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#21]
i'll say it again...

THATS FRIGGIN AWESOME!

im inbound
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I like how it has big patterns to break it up at distance and the black to do a little more at closer ranges.  My A4 is going to need that when I get it done [;)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I like it!
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#24]
btt
[img]http://sio.midco.net/tjt/camo/refi/polecat2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]
another shameless btt
[img]http://sio.midco.net/tjt/camo/refi/otherditchdown.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#26]
[img]http://sio.midco.net/tjt/camo/refi/incornfrnt.jpg[/img]

[img]http://sio.midco.net/tjt/camo/refi/incornfrnt_red.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#27]
[img]http://sio.midco.net/tjt/camo/refi/ditch.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Dam,camo is so good on the 2nd & 3rd pic you cant hardly even see it.Excellent job,just one peice of advice though Dont Drop It.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#29]
To be totally honest, when I first saw the rifle, I was amazed at the quality of the paint job itself (I've been building models for years, and *might* be able to airbrush something similar), but I did not exactly like the pattern initially.

Then I saw the rifle...or rather didnt see the rifle in the pictures, and was completely 100% amazed.  Incredible.

I often see some cool "tigerstripe" camo jobs on certain rifles, and although they look cool, I really didn't think they would help one bit...at all.  

Amazing job. Awesome looking rifle...when you can see it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#30]
maybe you could do us a favor and shop a big red circle around the ar for us.

are you sure you took a pic of the gun?

one more time...nice job!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I was in a hurry taking the pics. I only had an hour to get it done and back home so I just used a couple ditches a mile out of town.

I've added the red circles.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Just got back from [b]GunStock[/b].  

I want to take some pix here in person, I think the above are photoshopped, I only see a field in two of them...  (brasspile pats himself on back very firmly)

That looks AWESOME, I am now going to refinish my Milwaukee in what is now dubbed:

[b]brassflage[/b]

Recipie:
3 color desert, substitute dark grey for dark brown, add many thin black pieces of 'grass', and a few wider 'sticks'.  Complete Matte Clearcoat to finish off to eliminate glare.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#33]
[b] Sweet looking camo job & Thanks for the Camo website . Made for some pretty interesting reading. One question about painting , do you strip the weapons and paint each piece one by one or just totally paint everything at once ?

Thanks again [/b]  
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
[b] Sweet looking camo job & Thanks for the Camo website . Made for some pretty interesting reading. One question about painting , do you strip the weapons and paint each piece one by one or just totally paint everything at once ?

Thanks again [/b]  
View Quote

Depends on pattern.

I strip/cleanup/degrease for base color (predominant color, in this case, the lightest tan).

I then wetsand out any protruding mould lines/nicks with fine grit paper and sponge.  After this step, I use another Lauer Product, DuraFill, to fill in any nicks, dents, scratches, gouges, etc (in both metal and compsoite stock) if needed, wetsand again to smooth finish, then put another layer of base color on.  

I then reassemble and continue to keep pattern contiguous across rifle.

I do [b]not[/b] typically remove the scope from the rings, as the thin layer of color will affect accuracy and fit/mating of scope to rings.  However, I will do the optics/rings/mount apart if requested, however, I do not recommend it for accuracy reasons.

If the item does manage to get scratched/damaged/etc.,  After the 2 week full-cure time, (unintentional, wear, chips, etc...)  I warranty my work, so it only costs shipping for touchups and repairs.

I do not use masks/precut tape (unless hard edges are required, for lettering, some camo artwork additions, etc.), so every finish is unique and a 'labor of love', which means that I am not happy until I would be happy to own it myself (pink excluded....)

Each is a unique item with tuned colors for your environment, or that is requested for a 'precut' pattern ([b]not[b] "RealTree-ish", as that is extremely time consuming, and is not effective camo at a distance.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Any future thoughts on MARPAT brassflage??

Max
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#36]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/064249.JPG[/img]

I think I found him!

hehehe j/k [B]VERY NICE JOB[/B]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
BTW, brass did a kickass trigger job on Hiram's Hipower at Gunstock.  

I'll need to get your FFL's info so I can send you my Ruger 22/45.
View Quote

Adding "Front Seat of Car Gunsmithing" to my list of mad skilz. [;D].  Amazing what you can find in an ordinary everyday car to take down a handgun and do a trigger job.

DVD, IM me with what you want for design.  Thanks again for the pre-pay!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#39]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Someone PLEASE tell me why [b]all[/b] of meltdown's pics come up as red x's for me? [>Q]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Guys, that stuff is AWSOME!   But.......

Im afraid I might place the gin down for a few moments while I duck behind a tree to relive myself and when I come back...I can't find it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Guys, that stuff is AWSOME!   But.......

Im afraid I might place the gin down for a few moments while I duck behind a tree to relieve myself and when I come back...I can't find it.
View Quote

I accidentally said "gin"...of course, I meant "gun".

OTOH, an afternoon toddy might be nice after all.

hehe
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#43]
meltdown is moving, so his server is gone for a bit...

here is an image of the AR on a grey backdrop.  (placeholder until other photos are back online)

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=41058&iGalleryUnq=1034&iImageUnq=18010[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#44]
How well does that finish wear and last?

I'd be concerned about scratching it off or being ultra careful with the cleaning supplies.

Added:  BTW very nice patterns man.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How well does that finish wear and last?

I'd be concerned about scratching it off or being ultra careful with the cleaning supplies.

Added:  BTW very nice patterns man.
View Quote

After it is cured, it is extremely durable.  It is entirely Lauer Duracoat, with a few coats of clear on top to help durability.  By the time you scratch the paint, you are gouging the surface it is attached to (metal, plastic, etc...).  I keyed one once and it left a grey streak, from the key, which wiped away with rubbing alcohol.  The 'bumps' were taken off (I put the clearcoat on very rough, to give a good 'grip' feel).  Otherwise, it was unharmed.  That isn't warrantied, though. [:D]

As far as solvents/oil, the only thing that touches it is Aircraft Paint Remover.  Gunscrubber/Brake Cleaner/etc. do nothing.  I wipe down with Laquer thinner between coats to get a solid clean surface (Laquer Thinner will wipe Krylon, HS Camo, and a couple other brands off as if they were bowflage).

All items I do the finish on are guaranteed against 'standard wear', which includes how you normally treat a non-painted AR and don't scratch/gouge/dent it.  

It costs a bit more, but it is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Brass, you need to seriously get your "camo" business going full time! I think it will take off like wild fire and you will be rolling in the dough...
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Brass, you need to seriously get your "camo" business going full time! I think it will take off like wild fire and you will be rolling in the dough...
View Quote

Moved into gunshop this week, got paint booth set up, will have more info soon.  I have about 5 stacked up that I will have more pix of within a couple weeks.  

Thanks for the positive boost, energizer!
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Photo server seems to be down, here is my local mirror...

[img]http://www.mountaintop.org/ar/camo/melt-5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I know this is kind of general but could you post some pics and general prices i think everyone on the board wants this done.  Damn fine work SIR!!  You will have lots of business, I am also a business owner and i think you have found a great niche!!

Mark
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I know this is kind of general but could you post some pics and general prices i think everyone on the board wants this done.  Damn fine work SIR!!  You will have lots of business, I am also a business owner and i think you have found a great niche!!

Mark
View Quote

There are a few pix in "Brasspile's paint work" on the Photo Server (which isn't quite working right now...)

For prices, that is still in the 'flexible' stage [:D].  Ranging from 100-500, staying away from realtree patterns, doing "Themes", etc.

Similar to meltdown's, (swapping out colors to make 'woodland' or 'urban'), about $300, (subject to change).  That is with bipod and optic, and shipping.

Will have more examples soon, I am pretty sure most all have seen the Milwaukee AR, and MrsGloftoes Pink Furniture ($150 for buttstock, grip, handguards, ejection port cover, selector, charging handle, deflector).  For a 'solid color' (standard furniture, then receiver parts to match) that is about the same price for all (with assembly/shipping/etc.).

Now for The Question:

What price sounds about right for the work on meltdown's?  It has 4 base colors, and 3 coats of clear for very matte and durable finish (Paint/materials = about $80)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top