Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/3/2003 7:46:46 PM EDT

I'm in the process of putting together an AR and would like to get a threaded barrel so I can put on a flash supressor if/when the ban sunsets. I have seen thread protectors that would make the barrel look post-ban(and have no flash hiding charateristics). Would it be legal to buy a pre-ban barrel, chop off the bayo lug and put a thread protector on in anticipation of the ban expiring? Or does having accessible threads alone make the barrel preban?

Thanks for any advice and sorry if this is a dumb question. I only ask because I'm on the fence about what barrel to buy and would rather not have a barrel without a flash hider once the ban sunsets.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:02:33 PM EDT
I'm pretty sure that just having threads capable of accepting a flash-hider is illegal. The only way the thread protector would work would be if you welded it on permanently. But I'm not a lawyer so don't take my word for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:03:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2003 8:03:18 PM EDT by Mb121]
Not legal at all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2003 8:55:13 PM EDT by _DR]
most gunsmiths will thread, but then drill, pin and weld over the pin so it is permanent, but could be removed by said gunsmith if ban did sunset. I had this done on my AR with a muzzle brake. K2 did mine, looks very clean.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:44:43 PM EDT
Nope, not legal on a post ban, but you can remove one of the pinned on brakes with a little work...Or get one of the designs that attatch W/ set screws for now..You can always get it threaded for an A2 later..
Top Top